OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Rome season one was so amazing. Season two was a mess and way to condensed..also Augustus recast was horrible... but still good overall. HBO cutting the third season really harmed the show so much

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Well now I have Rome and the Wire on my HBO lists of shows I probably should’ve watched a long time ago because of all of you.

You definitely need to watch The Wire. Even after so many years of Peak Prestige TV and so many great shows, The Wire is still the greatest show of all time in my book.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Ms Marvel on Disney + is absolute hot garbage. It’s the first Disney + show or Marvel movie to truly disappoint me or be near unwatchable. Got about 1.5 episodes in and just can’t do it anymore.
I just finished episode two and think it's not bad at all. Not a masterpiece, but entertaining enough. Probably about on par with Loki so far.

If you've watched a bunch of this stuff there's no way you can conclude that it's worse than eternals, dark world, iron man 2, falcon and the winter soldier, hulk, age of ultron, or black widow.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I just finished episode two and think it's not bad at all. Not a masterpiece, but entertaining enough. Probably about on par with Loki so far.

If you've watched a bunch of this stuff there's no way you can conclude that it's worse than eternals, dark world, iron man 2, falcon and the winter soldier, hulk, age of ultron, or black widow.
They’ve only released 2 episodes so far to my knowledge. Just wasn’t my families cup of tea I guess. You did a pretty good job of listing the bottom 1/3 of the MCU there so we agree for most of those selections.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You definitely need to watch The Wire. Even after so many years of Peak Prestige TV and so many great shows, The Wire is still the greatest show of all time in my book.
It's top 3 dramas for sure and there's no reason to avoid watching it.

I did read an article in the times the other day which sort of gave an interesting perspective on how the show shaped people's perception of Baltimore. Some are proud, others not so much.

They Conflated ‘The Wire’ With Reality They Conflated ‘The Wire’

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
They’ve only released 2 episodes so far to my knowledge. Just wasn’t my families cup of tea I guess. You did a pretty good job of listing the bottom 1/3 of the MCU there so we agree for most of those selections.
I probably need more hobbies. Ice hockey and Wolverine will only take you so far in this life.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Apparently they are playing John Carpenter’s The Thing in theaters this Sunday; perfect movie for a Father’s Day. And my peach of a wife surprised me with tickets yesterday.

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, it’s only the greatest horror film ever made with some of the best practical creature effects ever put to screen. Check it out if you can.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Apparently they are playing John Carpenter’s The Thing in theaters this Sunday; perfect movie for a Father’s Day. And my peach of a wife surprised me with tickets yesterday.

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, it’s only the greatest horror film ever made with some of the best practical creature effects ever put to screen. Check it out if you can.
I love horror movies. My guilty pleasure. I’ve seen the Thing many times. Probably the most Lovecraftian movie to be coherent (honorable mention to Event Horizon and In the Mouth of Madness both of which lack in execution compared to the Thing). The best horro movie ever? Just an opinion and I’d put it on the short list but I’m not sure I can put it ahead of the Exorcist or the first Alien. Thanks for the heads up.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hey friends, just wanted to stop by and say that I released an album 10 days ago on Spotify/Apple/wherever else you stream music. It's instrumental pop punk/alt rock. Maybe you'll enjoy! Good background music while working, working out, hanging out, driving, whatever.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I love horror movies. My guilty pleasure. I’ve seen the Thing many times. Probably the most Lovecraftian movie to be coherent (honorable mention to Event Horizon and In the Mouth of Madness both of which lack in execution compared to the Thing). The best horro movie ever? Just an opinion and I’d put it on the short list but I’m not sure I can put it ahead of the Exorcist or the first Alien. Thanks for the heads up.

I decidedly don't like horror movies, but I absolutely loved The Thing. Wilford Brimley's role alone sells it.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Ms Marvel on Disney + is absolute hot garbage. It’s the first Disney + show or Marvel movie to truly disappoint me or be near unwatchable. Got about 1.5 episodes in and just can’t do it anymore.
I hadn't watched a single one of those MCU Disney+ shows until a week ago. I ate an edible, realized that Kamala Khan is from New Jersey, and decided to support my home state by watching Ms. Marvel. I ducked out after watching half of the first episode. It was so dull! Also, I have to assume that it wasn't shot in Jersey City at all.

It sounds like a complete mess of themes, as well. I know that it's a coming-of-age story, as well as a superhero origin story, and I also heard that later episodes deal with the Indian partition and some Muslim woman running for the position of mosque chairwoman or whatever. Why are they putting those plot points in a superhero show? It's doing too much at once, trying to be all things to as wide of an audience as possible, and ending up being a watered-down version of all of its parts.

For God's sake just give me a villain-of-the-week, superhero-punches-supervillain-and-saves-the-day kind of show.

• Love
Reactions: Ripshot 43

My3Sons

Sponsor
I hadn't watched a single one of those MCU Disney+ shows until a week ago. I ate an edible, realized that Kamala Khan is from New Jersey, and decided to support my home state by watching Ms. Marvel. I ducked out after watching half of the first episode. It was so dull! Also, I have to assume that it wasn't shot in Jersey City at all.

It sounds like a complete mess of themes, as well. I know that it's a coming-of-age story, as well as a superhero origin story, and I also heard that later episodes deal with the Indian partition and some Muslim woman running for the position of mosque chairwoman or whatever. Why are they putting those plot points in a superhero show? It's doing too much at once, trying to be all things to as wide of an audience as possible, and ending up being a watered-down version of all of its parts.

For God's sake just give me a villain-of-the-week, superhero-punches-supervillain-and-saves-the-day kind of show.
I think the show is aimed at a much younger demographic. An old out of touch guy like you would have to ask the kids what they think of the show. Disney doesn’t really care what senile old goats like you think. Of course being as young and tuned in as I am they care about my opinion.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
My Kenobi impressions

Disney "We really need to tell this pointless story for $$reasons$$, we'll throw that line in so the old movies still make sense for the nostalgia crowd!"

I seriously would have preferred TommyLee Jones walk up with the memory wipe flash stick on Leia

ObiWan has Vader on the ropes, could literally cripple the empire and is like Nahh... I just leave you alive. So you can murder more innocent people as you march through the streets.

Ugh

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The last two episodes of Obi-Wan were more what I thought the whole series would be about and I really, really liked them. Overall though I was a little disappointed. Although I may have done the thing I, as a Star Wars geek, should know better than to do, and overhyped myself for it. Ewan and Hayden both being back was great and I think both their characters were done well. The kid playing Leia did a fantastic job I thought. Reva was kind of hit or miss for me, and along with some other missed opportunities held this back from being as good as either season of The Mandalorian. I would definitely put it above Boba Fett though.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The last two episodes of Obi-Wan were more what I thought the whole series would be about and I really, really liked them. Overall though I was a little disappointed. Although I may have done the thing I, as a Star Wars geek, should know better than to do, and overhyped myself for it. Ewan and Hayden both being back was great and I think both their characters were done well. The kid playing Leia did a fantastic job I thought. Reva was kind of hit or miss for me, and along with some other missed opportunities held this back from being as good as either season of The Mandalorian. I would definitely put it above Boba Fett though.
It had some awkward moments for me. I thought Leia was handled a bit clunky. Overall it was fun and Star Wars is just light entertainment and Space Opera and you can’t ask too much from it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Since I'm getting antsy waiting for Better Call Saul to come back I decided to watch Breaking Bad again. It's still just a superb show from top to bottom. I'm at the point in BB where Saul is first introduced and it's kind of neat to see where it crosses paths. Just two fantastic shows intertwined together flawlessly.

Reactions: Oneiro

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021

i'm sure we all had different expectations but none of you were bothered by the inconsistency in the cannon?

After all the exposition about Anakin being "dead" and then Obiwan just leaves him?
murders a child in the streets just for giggles, but no its cool i'm gonna leave you alive cause its too emotional
or maybe cause the Jedi don't kill, only defend? nope they kill if they have to,so that doesn't fit either.

The Quigon cameo literally was like Hey you can see me now! no conversation about what happened, nothing philosophical, nothing... i mean jeez we all know they want to set up a second $$season$$ to pigeon hole more stories in this tiny time gap. I thought the show was bad, nothing happened, they played with your emotions and nostalgia for the original movies and capitalized off it. Leia actress was great sure, but it was the same concept as we need the cute little character ($$GROGU$$) to draw people who like that in the story.

This would have had a chance at being good if they just told a story about Obiwans trauma and given us adventures that had nothing to do with Vader or the kids....

sorry folks i'm not even a big star wars fan but this show really grinds my gears.

My3Sons

Sponsor
i'm sure we all had different expectations but none of you were bothered by the inconsistency in the cannon?

After all the exposition about Anakin being "dead" and then Obiwan just leaves him?

The Quigon cameo literally was like Hey you can see me now! no conversation about what happened, nothing philosophical, nothing... i mean jeez we all know they want to set up a second $$season$$ to pigeon hole more stories in this tiny time gap. I thought the show was bad, nothing happened, they played with your emotions and nostalgia for the original movies and capitalized off it. Leia actress was great sure, but it was the same concept as we need the cute little character ($$GROGU$$) to draw people who like that in the story.

This would have had a chance at being good if they just told a story about Obiwans trauma and given us adventures that had nothing to do with Vader or the kids....

sorry folks i'm not even a big star wars fan but this show really grinds my gears.
That’s fair. But as a first generation Star Wars fan it’s just fun to be a kid again. I said to my son multiple times while we watched it that they need to remake episode 4. I’d have liked something different and agree they should have stayed away from Vader. Still it’s nice to see those characters. At this point I don’t ask too much from the original characters. The Star Wars universe has been twisted into a pretzel so you can’t expect it to make too much sense anymore.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
The last two episodes of Obiwan were great. You could just tell the writing was so much better, the directing, and the filmography too. Overall id probably say it was the 2nd best starwars tv show so far, just after season 1 of Mando.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think it was really that inconsistent with the canon. Sure, you can nitpick Leia's message in ANH where it sounds like she doesn't really know Obi-Wan, but I think that's about it. I know everybody was worried about Vader's "when last we met I was the learner, now I am the master" line, but I think we saw in the finale why that was. As for needing the small cute thing to save, doesn't that apply to pretty much every movie or show where the hero needs to protect/save/rescue an innocent? Plus there needed to be a reason for Obi-Wan to go off planet, and some random person wasn't going to be it. Now, you can argue that Obi-Wan shouldn't have left, but that's not a very interesting story. Plus, it's through rescuing Leia that Obi-Wan gets out of wallowing in self doubt and reconnects with the Force, and ultimately his purpose.

I will agree that they didn't do a great job of weaving all the storylines together though. Honestly, it kind of felt like they tried to do a little too much in just 6 episodes. The Grand Inquisitor thing was unnecessary and they could have streamlined the whole Reva storyline. I said it before, I don't think her character's story was executed all that well. And I don't think it's the actor's fault, it just felt like the writing for her wasn't as good.

It was a little like Boba Fett where the first few episodes were kind of hit or miss and then once Dinn showed up for the last few episodes it was really good. With this I think once it got down to more of just Obi-Wan vs Vader the show was very good. Their lightsaber duel in the finale to me is maybe top 4 or 5 in all of Star Wars. I still love Obi-Wan/Qui-Gonn/Darth Maul the most, with Luke vs Vader in ROTJ, and maybe Obi-Wan vs Anakin from ROTS ahead of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad