Connor McDavid will go down as the 2nd best player of all-time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yea Daver, ALL of Crosbys points directly resulted in wins while all of McDavids don’t…

What a trash take.

Who’s been the best? barkov? The guy who has the same amount of points as McDavid with 1 goal?
Yes Barkov by a country mile.
McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Bouchard and RNH collectively with zero goals and the Oilers PP at zero for 11.
Have you even watched the games or just stat watching?

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yes Barkov by a country mile.
McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Bouchard and RNH collectively with zero goals and the Oilers PP at zero for 11.
Have you even watched the games or just stat watching?
I have, I’m just not choosing to focus on McDavid and let my emotional state of how I feel about him, dictate my opinions(like you are) rather than look at the bigger picture.

You clearly don’t like McDavid and it shows in every post you have made. You deliberately ignore guys like Skinner, Nurse, and Ceci being huge problems this series.

Now im not saying McDavid doesn’t deserve some criticism, but there are other things beyond his control.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have, I’m just not choosing to focus on McDavid and let my emotional state of how I feel about him, dictate my opinions(like you are) rather than look at the bigger picture.

You clearly don’t like McDavid and it shows in every post you have made. You deliberately ignore guys like Skinner, Nurse, and Ceci being huge problems this series.

Now im not saying McDavid doesn’t deserve some criticism, but there are other things beyond his control.
Lol! You’re definitely letting your emotions cloud your judgment. Instead of just stat watching try to actually watch the games. Zero goals from the best player in the world is definitely a huge part of the problem and his defensive play has also been poor.
Skinner, Nurse and Ceci also haven’t been great but when McDrai, Hyman, RNH and Bouchard have zero goals collectively and then 0 goals in 11 tries on the PP then the star players, including McDavid, are a huge part of the problem.
But you do you and blame the supporting cast.
The biggest issue is the star players disappearing. Try to be more objective instead of being emotional about it.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Lol! You’re definitely letting your emotions cloud your judgment. Instead of just stat watching try to actually watch the games. Zero goals from the best player in the world is definitely a huge part of the problem and his defensive play has also been poor.
Skinner, Nurse and Ceci also haven’t been great but when McDrai, Hyman, RNH and Bouchard have zero goals collectively and then 0 goals in 11 tries on the PP then the star players, including McDavid, are a huge part of the problem.
The biggest issue is the star players disappearing. Try to be more objective instead of being emotional about it.
It’s ok to hate McDavid, your whole opinion about him just shows that :laugh:

The simple fact that you are going to attack
McDavids defensive game while shrugging off skinner, Nurse, and Ceci as if they haven’t been a HUGE disaster for Edmonton…but yea it’s ALL McDavids fault with HIS defensive game.

You look for any and every way to criticize McDavid. That’s why your take is garbage.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
You criticize stat watching but the entire crux of your argument is based solely on stats instead of paying attention to his on ice play. McDavid is not disappearing in these games, he's definitely creating offensive opportunities and almost led a successful comeback last game. Bobrovsky has been unbelievable this series, and guys like Draisaitl simply haven't shown up. McDavid could be a bit better, but he's not part of the problem.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You criticize stat watching but the entire crux of your argument is based solely on stats instead of paying attention to his on ice play. McDavid is not disappearing in these games, he's definitely creating offensive opportunities and almost led a successful comeback last game. Bobrovsky has been unbelievable this series, and guys like Draisaitl simply haven't shown up. McDavid could be a bit better, but he's not part of the problem.

Perhaps one expects more from the 2nd best player of all-time in their only SCF in 9 seasons.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Is McDavid going to go down as the Dan Marino of Hockey if he never wins a cup?

Dan Marino greatest stats QB of all time to never win and no one ever puts him in their top 5.

Reactions: MuckOG

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

Dan Marino greatest stats QB of all time to never win and no one ever puts him in their top 5.
He's going to win a few cups in Toronto so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Haha
Reactions: toddkaz

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Perhaps one expects more from the 2nd best player of all-time in their only SCF in 9 seasons
Expecting more from a player and saying they’re part of the problem isn’t the same thing. He’s playing well, it’s not like he’s shitting the bed

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Perhaps one expects more from the 2nd best player of all-time in their only SCF in 9 seasons.
So then what’s the end result you were looking for? Because I’m sorry, but he could have 10 points in this series, be down 0-3 and you would still find reasons to criticize.

Again, he’s the ONLY player brining any kind of offense to the table.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
McDavid isn’t the going to be the second best player in NHL history. When Mario and Wayne were in the league they have PPGs that were 30% higher than the next player (looking from 79-98) in the league (Bossy) in that period and 50% better than the Yzerman/Forsberg/Jagr tier. McDavid has a 10% higher PPG than Kuch over the years they’ve both been in the NHL and this year he scored at a lower PPG. When he can’t get significant separation from the best players of his generation he isn’t going to touch the Mount Rushmore of hockey. Hes a top 15 player in NHL history no doubt and im sure by the time he hangs them up top 10 will be in the conversation, but he’s no where near Mario/Wayne/Bobby/Gordie tier.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Not really a fair comparison considering a QB has a much bigger impact than a player in hockey could ever.

Reactions: Voight

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Is McDavid retiring after the season? People seem to be attaching a lot of importance to his first Finals performance. I know that no other top players of all time ever lost in the Finals so I guess he really does stick out here.

Seriously though I think McJesus has been pretty good, but the Panthers really have it locked in defensively and Bob is playing well too. I definitely expected more from the top Oilers players.. they have been very quiet. Especially on the PP.

The Oilers are suffering from the same problem the Leafs did when a team is collapsing in front... for the most part they refuse to drive the net or put the puck at the net and get their hands dirty.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It's so funny to me that the anti-Crosby crowd has always relied on his lack of perfromance in SCF being a detriment to his legacy, and now those same posters are using McDavid being "the best forward for the Oilers" despite his significantly unimpressive production as a positive.

It was definitely Crosby fault for not putting up more points with a 38 year old bill guerin and Chris Kunitz who never broke 70 pts.

But it's definitely not McDavid's fault he can't score with a 50 goal scorer on one wing and a guy who had 100 pts last year.

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
McDavid and Draisaitl have been better than anyone not named Gretzky or Lemieux for playoff forwards through 70 games and relative to the salary cap era are clear cut the best at that GP cutoff. If that isn’t good enough to win (and it should even in these current finals) then nothing will be. McDavid is two assists away from tied with Gretzky for a single season playoff record and it still won’t be good enough.

Anyone bringing up Crosby really shouldn’t. He’s a great player (distant 5th all time in my opinion) but he never showed me that he was as good as McDavid in the playoffs. Played on some great teams I was privileged to see. Crosby would be cupless as well if roles were reversed. As for production Crosby is roughly 87% as good as McDavid in even games (funny how that worked out).

No matter how this cup final ends McDavid by career end barring major injuries should have the second best total body of work for a career that a player has ever had with a top 4-5 peak to go with it. He completely laps the field for his era (and the last 20 years really) and has a comparable first 9 years to Lemieux when adjusted for era. His career trajectory is 2-4 range all time.

Attachments

• 35787A38-E326-4914-9B02-565F171A2FE0.jpeg
    35787A38-E326-4914-9B02-565F171A2FE0.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 4
  • D39F39A8-BA88-4B7F-912A-42D84FEB48FE.jpeg
    D39F39A8-BA88-4B7F-912A-42D84FEB48FE.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 3

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
It's so funny to me that the anti-Crosby crowd has always relied on his lack of perfromance in SCF being a detriment to his legacy, and now those same posters are using McDavid being "the best forward for the Oilers" despite his significantly unimpressive production as a positive.
How is 34 points in 21 games significantly unimpressive? Neither Crosby, Mackinnon, Ovechkin, or any other superstar other than Kucherov have amassed 34 points in a single playoff.

In fact, only six players have ever scored more in the history of the league, and McDavid might not be done yet. So you have some high standards....

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
McDavid in these finals has looked better than Crosby has at any point in his career in the postseason. He literally has the same amount of points that Crosby had in 7 games when he got his first cup, except McDavid has played 3 games and has ran into one of the best goaltending performances in recent history. The Oiler have 1 goal with McDavid off the ice, meaning 100% of the attention can go to trying to stop him as nobody else is doing anything.
That first sentence is a first ballot entry to the HfBoards Hall of Fame.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
McDavid and Draisaitl have been better than anyone not named Gretzky or Lemieux for playoff forwards through 70 games and relative to the salary cap era are clear cut the best at that GP cutoff. If that isn’t good enough to win (and it should even in these current finals) then nothing will be. McDavid is two assists away from tied with Gretzky for a single season playoff record and it still won’t be good enough.

Anyone bringing up Crosby really shouldn’t. He’s a great player (distant 5th all time in my opinion) but he never showed me that he was as good as McDavid in the playoffs. Played on some great teams I was privileged to see. Crosby would be cupless as well if roles were reversed. As for production Crosby is roughly 87% as good as McDavid in even games (funny how that worked out).

No matter how this cup final ends McDavid by career end barring major injuries should have the second best total body of work for a career that a player has ever had with a top 4-5 peak to go with it. He completely laps the field for his era (and the last 20 years really) and has a comparable first 9 years to Lemieux when adjusted for era. His career trajectory is 2-4 range all time.

Meh.

It’s way easier to score earlier than later in the playoffs.

Not against McDavid or Draisaitl.

But you’re definitely NOT an all time playoff great for compiling stats against LA in round 1.

The deeper you go, the harder it is to score.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

The 09 Penguins were a great team? GTFO with that nonsense. Crosby in 09 through 21 games played (same as McDavid right now) was very clearly better than McDavid has been this playoffs.

And Crosby wouldn't be playing with Draisaitl any time he was in danger of going pointless. McDavid has zero points his last 5 games without #29 on the ice. Crosby also would not force his preferred system on the rest of the team, as his team has reached the finals playing very different systems each time.

Crosby has won at every level with worse teammates than McDavid. Maybe you should be asking deeper questions why that is? Like you think one team has the 3rd and 4th best playoff forwards of all time yet they can't win a single championship in 9 years? Do players not have any impact on their team's success?

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How is 34 points in 21 games significantly unimpressive? Neither Crosby, Mackinnon, Ovechkin, or any other superstar other than Kucherov have amassed 34 points in a single playoff.

In fact, only six players have ever scored more in the history of the league, and McDavid might not be done yet. So you have some high standards....

He's scored 34 points in the 21 game SCF?

Impressive!

Reactions: mattihp

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Is McDavid retiring after the season? People seem to be attaching a lot of importance to his first Finals performance. I know that no other top players of all time ever lost in the Finals so I guess he really does stick out here.

Seriously though I think McJesus has been pretty good, but the Panthers really have it locked in defensively and Bob is playing well too. I definitely expected more from the top Oilers players.. they have been very quiet. Especially on the PP.

The Oilers are suffering from the same problem the Leafs did when a team is collapsing in front... for the most part they refuse to drive the net or put the puck at the net and get their hands dirty.
Most of the other top players of all time already had won a championship by 27, not playing (poorly) in their first finals appearance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad