Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I would like to see McDavid vs Eichel round 2 at this year's U18 (Last year McDavid absolutely owned the tournament in a fashion that Eichel was not even close; hell, not even the 1995 born players could keep pace) but unfortunately for hockey geeks, this year McDavid will most likely be busy right about that time.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I would like to see McDavid vs Eichel round 2 at this year's U18 (Last year McDavid absolutely owned the tournament in a fashion that Eichel was not even close; hell, not even the 1995 born players could keep pace) but unfortunately for hockey geeks, this year McDavid will most likely be busy right about that time.

Everyone agrees McDavid has better skill and is the better prospect, but people think that there is a chance that Eichel's game could translate well in the NHL and reult in his NHL production being as high or higher than McDavid's.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

McDavid was really invisible in the last 2 games at the U18WC. He maybe had most impressive tournament for 15year old i've ever seen but to me he didn't dominate because he didn't do much in the tough elimination games.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

McDavid was really invisible in the last 2 games at the U18WC. He maybe had most impressive tournament for 15year old i've ever seen but to me he didn't dominate because he didn't do much in the tough elimination games.

ahh, i watched all the games and i remember clearly that he was as effective and it would have showed a little more if Klimchuk (his linemate) would have put in a back door or scored on some quality chances created by mcdavid

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I suggest you watch again. He had a tough game against Finland, but played well against the Americans in the final. How did Eichel do in the 2 most difficult games, 1/2 final against Russia and then the final? not that great. He finished the tournament with a goal and assist.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I suggest you watch again. He had a tough game against Finland, but played well against the Americans in the final. How did Eichel do in the 2 most difficult games, 1/2 final against Russia and then the final? not that great. He finished the tournament with a goal and assist.

I didn't compare the two players but are you saying that he complitely dominated the tournament? He was ok in the final game but it wasn't even close to domination or total domination that you suggested. To me he was maybe the best 15 year old at that tournament ever but total domination? Not in the tough games. In the game against finland in the SF he didn't do anything. But it's clear that Eichel had better U20's this year and i rate that tournament much higher. I think that McDavid is the frontrunner but Eichel has potential to surpass him.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I didn't compare the two players but are you saying that he complitely dominated the tournament? He was ok in the final game but it wasn't even close to domination or total domination that you suggested. To me he was maybe the best 15 year old at that tournament ever but total domination? Not in the tough games. In the game against finland in the SF he didn't do anything. But it's clear that Eichel had better U20's this year and i rate that tournament much higher. I think that McDavid is the frontrunner but Eichel has potential to surpass him.

And how did he do there in the final 2 games against the toughest competition, v Canada in the final prelim game and against Russia in the 1/4 final? He had a good 1st period against Canada after that he didn't do much. 0 pts in a 3-2 loss. In the 1/4 final he has 1 assist no shots on goal and lost the most of his draws. He finished the tournament with 5 pts. 1 more pt than Mcdavid who finished with 4.

Again, I'd like to see a rematch at the U18 this spring. probably won't happen though.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Back 6 months ago or so in the all-McDavid thread I made the comment that I think Eichel was the better player at the moment, but McDavid has the higher ceiling. Still feel that way now..I've seen both in person and have followed both closely this season, and if I had to take an undrafted player to help my junior team win a championship today I'd pick Eichel. Down the line, I see McDavid as closer to Tavares than any other player he's been compared to, and Eichel is IMO more talented than Getzlaf but plays a similar game. Wouldn't compare him to Kessel at all either.

I think Eichel is more suited for the NHL game at this point with his strength. I also think that their respective performances at the WJC last year showed that McDavid can get bullied by bigger defenseman and can potentially get knocked off his game with a few big hits. Eichel doesn't have that problem. Not sure if it's a physical toughness or a mental toughness, but I think it's possible that after a lifetime of dominating every level of hockey a guy like McDavid isn't sure how to respond to adversity.

This can obviously open the floodgates of the NCAA vs CHL argument, but I think Eichel's year in college (doubt he plays more than that) will better prepare him for the NHL than McDavid playing in the OHL next season.

I know for sure I'll be up in Lake Placid for the juniors exhibition, and I'm hoping to see some battles between Eichel and McDavid

I don't believe that the NCAA is the best way to go for top end players wanting to play in the NHL. Canadian junior is much more akin to the NHL than the NCAA. McDavid can benefit greatly by more time in the O.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
from the link posted above "NHL.com asked nine scouts in attendance at NHL Central Scouting's final meetings this week for their personal choice between the two. The impromptu poll had McDavid earning a slim 5-4 victory."

Johnny Unitas used to say that "talk is cheap, let's go play football". Scouts ******** every which way from Sunday. You can't trust these things.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
And how did he do there in the final 2 games against the toughest competition, v Canada in the final prelim game and against Russia in the 1/4 final? He had a good 1st period against Canada after that he didn't do much. 0 pts in a 3-2 loss. In the 1/4 final he has 1 assist no shots on goal and lost the most of his draws. He finished the tournament with 5 pts. 1 more pt than Mcdavid who finished with 4.

Again, I'd like to see a rematch at the U18 this spring. probably won't happen though.

Mcdavid didn't do much in the tough games at U20 either. I think that he made 1 or 2 mistakes which ended up to a goal in the semifinals against finland. He looked lost out there. I think that ultimate rematch will be at next U20 WJC. Both are really talented kids and i think that Mcdavid has the edge but i just didn't buy your statements about mcdavid's total domination at U18 WC last year.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Mcdavid didn't do much in the tough games at U20 either. I think that he made 1 or 2 mistakes which ended up to a goal in the semifinals against finland. He looked lost out there. I think that ultimate rematch will be at next U20 WJC. Both are really talented kids and i think that Mcdavid has the edge but i just didn't buy your statements about mcdavid's total domination at U18 WC last year.

I agree with you. McDavid was very impressive, especially considering he was only 16. But he did fade against the toughest competition. That's not a criticism of him. But it is what happened.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Always a little confused why everyone only talks about McDavids performance at last years U18 tournament, which by all accounts is a weak tournament compared to the Ivan Helinka. No one talks about Team Ontarios U17 6th place finish where McDavid was playing against one year older competition. His poor performance at both Subway series games where he played first line, first line PP and shootout and then lets face it a disappointing world juniors. This is not a knock as he is a phenomenal talent
but honestly I get tired of hearing about the one tournament where he won.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Always a little confused why everyone only talks about McDavids performance at last years U18 tournament, which by all accounts is a weak tournament compared to the Ivan Helinka. No one talks about Team Ontarios U17 6th place finish where McDavid was playing against one year older competition. His poor performance at both Subway series games where he played first line, first line PP and shootout and then lets face it a disappointing world juniors. This is not a knock as he is a phenomenal talent
but honestly I get tired of hearing about the one tournament where he won.

You're talking about McDavid's U17 performance for Team Ontario where he got 6 goals and 9 points in 5 games..... And you're saying it wasn't good because his team finished 6th? There is only so much one player can do, and how can you blame a kid putting up over a goal per game and almost 2 points per game?

Then you cite meaningless Subway Series games as if it's some important tournament. No one cares about those games.

And a disappointing WJC? He was a 16 year old kids playing against 19 year olds and he had 4 points in 7 games. He was absolutely dominant in the pre-tournament games if you watched and even won a couple player of the game awards. Then he had one bad game and Sutter put him on a leash. You need to understand the context before you pass judgement. Also I don't even get how anyone can say a 16 year old was a disappointment in the under 20 tournament.

NativeHockey77*

Both are going to be studs in the NHL I believe but right now I would go with the good ol' Canadian boy from Newmarket, Ontario I tell ya

ZeroPT*

McEichel rookie numbers?

How many points will these guys put up as rookies in the NHL? Both are seen as elite prospects at center and will likely go #1 and #2 in the 2015 draft.

1-How many points will they put up as rookies?
2-How many points will they put up in their prime?
3-Who is the best comparable?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
McDavid: 60
Eichel: 55

McDavid: 85-95
Eichel:75-85

McDavid: Tavares (Not as good of a goal scorer though)
Eichel: I haven't watched him enough to make an informed decision

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
McDavid: 60
Eichel: 55

McDavid: 85-95
Eichel:75-85

McDavid: Tavares (Not as good of a goal scorer though)
Eichel: I haven't watched him enough to make an informed decision

Getzlaf is probably as close as you'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad