Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
don't know about that Eichel and Kessel part. at around the same age as Eichel Kessel was considered USA's Crosby and was thought to be 1st overall pick. Kessel and Eichel have pretty similar junior career so far statistically. Kessel even slightly better.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Kessel played in the NAHL, while Eichel is in the USHL. The USHL is a definite step up from the NAHL. Not to slight what Kessel did, because it was damn impressive, but I don't think you can say he was better statistically.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
They still amount to nothing with their D corps and goalies. They have Eberle, RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Perron FFS. More forward won't help them.

That's why if they have one of the top 2 picks the smart thing to do would be to trade for an excellent prospect like say ribald and somebody else to match the value of eichel/mcdavid

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Wouldn't be so sure about that. Kessel played in the NAHL, while Eichel is in the USHL. The USHL is a definite step up from the NAHL. Not to slight what Kessel did, because it was damn impressive, but I don't think you can say he was better statistically.

Doesn't really matter what league they played in. USNTDP plays all over from junior teams in the NAHL USHL and a lot of college games. Schedule never really has changed.

Sloth Slothersons*

They still amount to nothing with their D corps and goalies. They have Eberle, RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Perron FFS. More forward won't help them.

Eventually we will pick enough forwards that they will have to start playing defence.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I don't really buy that frankly. For all the talk of the Oilers needing defense, they could really use another legit center. Eichel would be huge for them. Their goaltending is at least improved, though the jury is out on just how much so. They have some prospects on defense beyond Nurse, Nurse is looking like a good one, and they can always make some additions.

That's not to say they'd be a great team but the idea that more help at forward wouldn't help them is just absurd. The truth is their forwards just aren't as good as some make them out to be. Eichel is looking like in time would be an upgrade over most if not all. They could then mercifully trade Gagner and Eberle for forward depth and/or defensive help.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't really buy that frankly. For all the talk of the Oilers needing defense, they could really use another legit center. Eichel would be huge for them. Their goaltending is at least improved, though the jury is out on just how much so. They have some prospects on defense beyond Nurse, Nurse is looking like a good one, and they can always make some additions.

That's not to say they'd be a great team but the idea that more help at forward wouldn't help them is just absurd. The truth is their forwards just aren't as good as some make them out to be. Eichel is looking like in time would be an upgrade over most if not all. They could then mercifully trade Gagner and Eberle for forward depth and/or defensive help.

yeah

* Ekblad from this year
* more robust 1C in Eichel (probably be 6'2 200-210 when mature)
* Shift RNH to a more sheltered 2C where he can be given more favourable matchups
* move some of Gagner,Eberle, Yak for Dmen/ 2-way top 6 winger

and things don't look so bleak (mind you most team outlooks improve adding two top 2 picks in Ekblad and Eichel)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Of course more forward would help them, but right now a #1 D would make this team a lot better than a #1 C would.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Of course more forward would help them, but right now a #1 D would make this team a lot better than a #1 C would.

Perhaps, if the two players are of equal overall worth. That's not really what you said, though. If the Oilers add Jack Eichel to their organization it'd make a huge difference even without any other moves. Hopefully it doesn't happen, because it's already a joke that the Oilers are getting yet another top 3 pick this year.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
from the link posted above "NHL.com asked nine scouts in attendance at NHL Central Scouting's final meetings this week for their personal choice between the two. The impromptu poll had McDavid earning a slim 5-4 victory."

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Not sure who the favourite is but it is the NHL's way of drumming up publicity/interest.

Dec 13, 2010
Back 6 months ago or so in the all-McDavid thread I made the comment that I think Eichel was the better player at the moment, but McDavid has the higher ceiling. Still feel that way now..I've seen both in person and have followed both closely this season, and if I had to take an undrafted player to help my junior team win a championship today I'd pick Eichel. Down the line, I see McDavid as closer to Tavares than any other player he's been compared to, and Eichel is IMO more talented than Getzlaf but plays a similar game. Wouldn't compare him to Kessel at all either.

I think Eichel is more suited for the NHL game at this point with his strength. I also think that their respective performances at the WJC last year showed that McDavid can get bullied by bigger defenseman and can potentially get knocked off his game with a few big hits. Eichel doesn't have that problem. Not sure if it's a physical toughness or a mental toughness, but I think it's possible that after a lifetime of dominating every level of hockey a guy like McDavid isn't sure how to respond to adversity.

This can obviously open the floodgates of the NCAA vs CHL argument, but I think Eichel's year in college (doubt he plays more than that) will better prepare him for the NHL than McDavid playing in the OHL next season.

I know for sure I'll be up in Lake Placid for the juniors exhibition, and I'm hoping to see some battles between Eichel and McDavid

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Back 6 months ago or so in the all-McDavid thread I made the comment that I think Eichel was the better player at the moment, but McDavid has the higher ceiling. Still feel that way now..I've seen both in person and have followed both closely this season, and if I had to take an undrafted player to help my junior team win a championship today I'd pick Eichel. Down the line, I see McDavid as closer to Tavares than any other player he's been compared to, and Eichel is IMO more talented than Getzlaf but plays a similar game. Wouldn't compare him to Kessel at all either.

I think Eichel is more suited for the NHL game at this point with his strength. I also think that their respective performances at the WJC last year showed that McDavid can get bullied by bigger defenseman and can potentially get knocked off his game with a few big hits. Eichel doesn't have that problem. Not sure if it's a physical toughness or a mental toughness, but I think it's possible that after a lifetime of dominating every level of hockey a guy like McDavid isn't sure how to respond to adversity.

This can obviously open the floodgates of the NCAA vs CHL argument, but I think Eichel's year in college (doubt he plays more than that) will better prepare him for the NHL than McDavid playing in the OHL next season.

I know for sure I'll be up in Lake Placid for the juniors exhibition, and I'm hoping to see some battles between Eichel and McDavid

McDavid should grow which will help him but that's not what's going to push him to elite status.

I haven't watched either player a ton but in the bit I have have watched of them this is my feeling:

I think Eichel has a bit more vision and decisiveness than McDavid. McDavid is more skilled but seems to over-think his next move while on the ice. I think Eichel has a characteristic which is crosby-like (I'm not saying eichel will be as good as crosby) in knowing what to do with the puck in order to set up a goal, whether it involves taking it himself, or finding the right guy to pass it to.

If anyone agrees or disagrees with the comments above I would really like to know.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
McDavid should grow which will help him but that's not what's going to push him to elite status.

I haven't watched either player a ton but in the bit I have have watched of them this is my feeling:

I think Eichel has a bit more vision and decisiveness than McDavid. McDavid is more skilled but seems to over-think his next move while on the ice. I think Eichel has a characteristic which is crosby-like (I'm not saying eichel will be as good as crosby) in knowing what to do with the puck in order to set up a goal, whether it involves taking it himself, or finding the right guy to pass it to.

If anyone agrees or disagrees with the comments above I would really like to know.

I don't think you're wrong. What you say about Eichel is part of why he's compared to Getzlaf. McDavid is a bit more creative in his moves in part because of that higher skill level. As the poster you're responding to said, Eichel is better right now in part because of his build and in part because of the pro style decisiveness you're talking about. Eichel is my favorite of the two but I certainly consider McDavid to be the better prospect. The practical difference between them down the line may well be negligible when it comes to who would have more success with the same roster, but that's just a general truth in hockey. If our Sabres are fortunate enough to get 1st overall next season I would want them to take McDavid, but in all honesty I'd be just as happy to be in the fortunate position to land Eichel.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
For what its worth nhl.com just put up an article stating that 9 NHL scouts were polled and McDavid won 5-4.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Eichel doesn't deserve to be called better than McDavid. He's never performed better at any stage of their careers. Not including the WJC because they were both 16 year olds and Sutter put McDavid on a leash after he had one bad game, even tho he was dominant in the pre tourney games. Eichel had the benefit of playing on a much less deep American team and he had no leash.

Enough with the hockey hipster crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad