Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] GM03 | Kraken def. Canucks | 3-1 (Myers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
3 young (well, 2 are young and one is new) d-man play much better than expected against a near NHL lineup…

…that’s a positive from this game.
Actually, I guess that’s the positive from this game.

I didn’t care so much about how a 24 YO looked at the Young Stars in Penticton, but how does Felton look this decent against a more or less NHL lineup but his career high college season is 7 points?

I know offense isn’t his game, but he looks like he has more to offer (at least at the college level) than those really paltry point totals.

I’m sure we will see the warts in his game come out the more he plays but his signing seemed really weird when it was announced…

…at least to this point it doesn’t look so weird now.

——

A couple of nights ago (following a 2nd Leafs preseason loss in a row) I saw a reporter ask Berube if it was time to panic…his reaction was priceless.

Her question was one of the funnier things I’ve seen in over 4 decades of following sports.
It almost seemed like she had to be trolling.

Then, I show up here and see knowledgeable fans writing EP40 off after 2 preseason games.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
It’s funny you mention McDavid because he was hurt in the preseason last year and played hurt all year and couldn’t shoot the puck and his goal goals dropped in half … but he still kept competing like a madman and recorded 100 assists instead. Crosby, Kucherov, Mackinnon … these guys have had all kinds of injuries more serious than Pettersson … and they still compete and dominate.

We’ve seen Hughes play hurt and still play great.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

And for the record, his compete wasn’t good last year even before the knee stuff even if his production was ok.
Yzerman willed the Wings to a cup on one leg.

Sorry but EP was a bad player to commit to with that contract. His body language alone is f***ing irritating and defeating.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
If it means something we would’ve seen Miller in preseason already.
Do you not understand that when you mail it in for the entire second half, then mail it in for the playoffs and then the discussion all summer is how poorly he performed that people would expect he'd come out in the preseason with something to prove immediately? Then he just mails it in again.

He's not a winner and he isn't a battler. Miller plays hard every night. So if he mailed it in in a preseason game nobody would worry because he can always be counted on when it counts and people know that.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
The thing with Pettersson is he's our highest paid player but he also wears an "A". He's a leader on this team. And his body language is the body language of a loser. It's defeatist. It's lazy. It's mopey. His interviews are similar.

I'm starting to loathe him honestly. I'd have rather just kept Lindholm and used the extra money on another Dman.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yzerman willed the Wings to a cup on one leg.

Sorry but EP was a bad player to commit to with that contract. His body language alone is f***ing irritating and defeating.
That Detroit team also had Federov, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Hull, Robitaille, Holmstrom, Datysuk, Larionov, Chelios, and Hasek and etc. that is a pre-cap era super team where they had more hall of famers than anyone else.

It’s like yeah it’s a feat that he played well on one leg but at the same time, he was surrounded by hall of famers in their prime. Petey played with f***ing Mik and Laf, not Hull, Shanahan and Lidstrom.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The thing with Pettersson is he's our highest paid player but he also wears an "A". He's a leader on this team. And his body language is the body language of a loser. It's defeatist. It's lazy. It's mopey. His interviews are similar.

I'm starting to loathe him honestly. I'd have rather just kept Lindholm and used the extra money on another Dman.
This is why this fan base doesn’t deserve nice things

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He looks to me like a player who when everything isn't perfect for him just totally checks out on his team. It's happened twice now for very large sample sizes covering like 40% of his career. Poor effort, poor compete, poor body language.

When you get paid $11.6 million *this is not an option*. I don't care if you're taking an ambulance to the rink, you'd better show up at the rink every night with your tail up willing to work.

And as I'll keep repeating : of course it's preseason. Of course we're not at a panic point. But when last season ended as shockingly embarrassingly disastrous as it did for him, you'd certainly hope to see some jump in his step to make you feel a little better that all that is behind him. Instead these two games have looked basically like more of the same. And if you aren't concerned, your head is in the sand. Come on.
I have to disagree here with you despite I often agree with your opinions

I’ve learned the lesson the past to not put any value into how a veteran/star player plays in the pre-season

Especially someone like EP, he 100% does not care what people outside the locker room thinks. Just because he had a disappointing end of last season, doesn’t mean that he’s gonna put effort to “prove people wrong” in pre-season

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Derek Forbort was a decent defenseman with the LA Kings. He looked rather slow and shitty in Calgary and Winnipeg but somehow looked serviceable in Boston.

You can now see the effects of the mileage and all the injuries now.

Looking like a slight error here. Should have gone with a PTO.

At least with this management group it’s a 1 year/1.5m type error. Also I have no doubts management will punt him to the sun and find a replacement instead of doubling down if this play continues. In the mean time he will probably make the team to be a PKer but not play a lot 5v5.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s genuinely baffling that people can’t see the difference between :

A) Veteran player who finished last season well and has no issues or red flags having a poor preseason : not concerning.

B) Player who went totally AWOL and delivered a shocking performance over the last 40 games of last year coming back and showing the same poor form and same red flags : concerning.

It’s also baffling that people don’t seem to understand the difference between ‘this is a concern to register and monitor’ and ‘time to panic!’

People realize Pettersson went the last 32 games of last season without an ES goal, right? The concern isn’t from the preseason, it’s based on last season’s disaster.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

A) Veteran player who finished last season well and has no issues or red flags having a poor preseason : not concerning.

B) Player who went totally AWOL and delivered a shocking performance over the last 40 games of last year coming back and showing the same poor form and same red flags : concerning.

It’s also baffling that people don’t seem to understand the difference between ‘this is a concern to register and monitor’ and ‘time to panic!’
I understand what you are trying to say but for me, I will only register it as a concern if he’s still like this after 2-3 regular season games

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Will go well with my Gudbranson and Virtanen jerseys.

Do you ever contribute anything of value? Either be smart or be funny.
I'd like to say I've read one of your posts before but you seem to be the Tim Schaller of the board. Pretty much of a non factor.

Let me know when you do either.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I don’t know, maybe you should acknowledge your own bias first?
Petey missed like half a season a couple seasons back and you call that a minor injury.

He played at a 120-140 point pace pre injury last season and you still say he lack compete and that was only “ok” production.

It’s really hard to take you seriously with this when your bias are that obvious.

I can be honest about being a Petey fan but can you be honest that you aren’t actually being objective about this at all.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Derek Forbort was a decent defenseman with the LA Kings. He looked rather slow and shitty in Calgary and Winnipeg but somehow looked serviceable in Boston.

You can now see the effects of the mileage and all the injuries now.

Looking like a slight error here. Should have gone with a PTO.

I'm worried he's lost a step with injuries ... that was always the concern with him when he wasn't particularly mobile to being with. Definitely a bit more concerned about defensive depth following the pre-season, there is not a lot there if Forbort and Desharnais can't cut it.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Small knock? Having your load bearing tendon inflamed is not really a small knock.
Hell having a load bearing tendon inflamed would actually lead to any sane person to stop moving their feet less because that’s what our bodies are evolved to do. Pain is a feature, not a bug.

I think players who are exceptionally skaters just looks visibly better than everyone especially in preseason. Quinn wasn’t actually trying and he looks even better because the other team isn’t really trying that hard to forecheck.

for Boeser, it’s not like it’s some kind of recurring injury. Sure it might happen if he blocks a shot and get another bone bruise and he doesn’t move around and wear tight pants and restricts his blood flow. But what are the odds of that happening again. Its weird to say oh yeah Boeser should really take it easy when his injury is the one that is actually really unlikely to happen again.

I don’t think you have a great understanding of patellar tendinitis. I’ve had it for a couple years now. And ultimately, we don’t know the severity of Pettersson’s, but this absolutely isn’t an injury that is necessarily crippling or anything and for many people is just nagging. And a lot of evidence points to Pettersson’s injury being nagging and not that serious.

And in fact, Pettersson, I think, has stated he still has patellar tendinitis and I think the expectation is that he can play through it.

It’s funny you mention McDavid because he was hurt in the preseason last year and played hurt all year and couldn’t shoot the puck and his goal goals dropped in half … but he still kept competing like a madman and recorded 100 assists instead. Crosby, Kucherov, Mackinnon … these guys have had all kinds of injuries more serious than Pettersson … and they still compete and dominate.

We’ve seen Hughes play hurt and still play great.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

And for the record, his compete wasn’t good last year even before the knee stuff even if his production was ok.

Draisaitl was seemingly more injured in the playoffs than Pettersson and was literally like two to three times the player Pettersson was in the playoffs .

Reactions: MS

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
GET FORBORT OFF MY DAMN TEAM. ARRRRRRHGGHHH. GET HIM OFF MY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*KING TEAAAAAM.
His 1.5 can be waived and only counts 250k against the cap(Idk if that went up this year or not). Replace with 1.25 player or less from waiver wire or Abby player and the team saves in cap space.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don’t know, maybe you should acknowledge your own bias first?
Petey missed like half a season a couple seasons back and you call that a minor injury.

He played at a 120-140 point pace pre injury last season and you still say he lack compete and that was only “ok” production.

It’s really hard to take you seriously with this when your bias are that obvious.

I can be honest about being a Petey fan but can you be honest that you aren’t actually being objective about this at all.
You are also extremely bias as you’ve assumed basically all of Pettersson’s past slumps are caused by injury

Reactions: MS and Regal

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Not every injury is the same, even if it is the same injury.

And the preseason doesn't mean anything. Especially to players who have their spots locked in. It shouldn't need to be said, but here we are. If it's 20 games in and Pettersson is hobbling around on one knee crying after every shift, then panic. If forbort is still playing with his stick upside down, then panic. Etc.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
In an effort to get EP going, I think it's time to try Sprong on his wing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there are real reasons to feel any number of ways about petey but i think the reality check is that our range of various emotions here intersects with a stupid irrational culture war that’s been going on in this fanbase probably as long as we’ve had a team. and i think everyone probably should pause for a sec and think about the small or big ways their feelings of concern, disappointment, frustration, rush to defend, make excuses, etc is exacerbated by this inescapable noise.

but also, which polarizing star’s culture war was the greatest? my shortlist is bure, naslund, bertuzzi, sedins, jtm, petey

hm to linden but to a large degree most of that was after the fact and not in the moment of his career, let alone him being an impact player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad