Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
on a lackluster Erie team next year he should but no one should expect crazy numbers because he wont have brown to snipe for him or even Fox. He'll have to single handedly win Erie games, which judging by the summer camp games should be no problemo.

Did he play a lot with Brown and Fox? I thought he ended up playing with Burakovsky?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
on a lackluster Erie team next year he should but no one should expect crazy numbers because he wont have brown to snipe for him or even Fox. He'll have to single handedly win Erie games, which judging by the summer camp games should be no problemo.

Erie will make a trade at some point.
If Ritchie goes back; I could very easily see him being moved to the Otters.

Last edited:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
You sound like a person who's seen a lot of McDavid and not a lot of Eichel. It's okay to say that you favor one guy, you know. You don't have to pretend you've personally reviewed all the evidence and impartially came to that conclusion.

I've seen quite a bit of Eichel actually, nowhere near the amount I've seen McDavid though, but I prefer Hanifin over Eichel honestly.

I just think McDavid is a step above Eichel in every part of the game other than size and shot. I'm talking about his skating, playmaking ability, vision and hockey IQ, hands, defensive play, and his drive/motor.

I look at Eichel as a Kessel/Kane level prospect. Eichel doesn't play anything like them but I feel he will be at that level of player at his highest potential. Elite but not top 5 in the league like a Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, etc. and that's where I think McDavid will be.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
If you're talking about McDavid he should be getting around 100+ points in the OHL next year.

Easily. I'd bet on him being the lead scorer.

I was talking about as an NHL rookie. I meant two years from now. I definitely think he'll score 70+ as a rookie.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

That might be the best thing for his development; considering one of his biggest criticisms is that he needs to learn to shoot more.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Saw his points and highlights.

Have to admit this is funny. You just went on about how McDavid looked amazing shift-to-shift, which obviously doesn't show up in "points and highlights".

You then compare him to Eichel, which would lead one to believe you've come to this conclusion based on watching Eichel shift-by-shift.

It's OK to like McDavid better than Eichel. He may very well be better than Eichel.

What is funny to a lot of us is that people make comparisons when they clearly haven't watched Eichel play.

It's OK to admit that. Not everyone here can be an expert.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've seen quite a bit of Eichel actually, nowhere near the amount I've seen McDavid though, but I prefer Hanifin over Eichel honestly.

Given that statement, I think it's fair to say that you've only seen Eichel at this most recent U18. Hanifin dominated there and Eichel didn't, but Eichel looked nowhere his usual self and still scored a ton of points. That's not representative.

You're probably talking to the single biggest Hanifin fan on this board, just so you know.

And coincidentally, it figures that you write off Eichel's superior performance at the WJC. McDavid supporters consistently ignore it even though it's the only time 95% of them have seen Eichel play.

I just think McDavid is a step above Eichel in every part of the game other than size and shot. I'm talking about his skating, playmaking ability, vision and hockey IQ, hands, defensive play, and his drive/motor.

Eichel has better size and puck protection and boardwork, better shot and knows when to shoot and when to pass much better than McDavid, who is loathe to shoot unless he's alone, and certainly a more mature player. And that 'step' down you say Eichel is in terms of skating, hockey IQ, etc. is just a small step. The people who think that McDavid is on a different level from Eichel are typically the ones impressed with flashy play.

I look at Eichel as a Kessel/Kane level prospect. Eichel doesn't play anything like them but I feel he will be at that level of player at his highest potential. Elite but not top 5 in the league like a Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, etc. and that's where I think McDavid will be.

It's funny that you use Kessel as an example, someone universally under rated, instead of, say, Toews, whose style and upside Eichel's actually vaguely resembles.

I'd happily take Kane and Kessel over Stamkos FWIW. I think Stamkos is hugely overrated. But that of course, is an argument for another day.

I have no problem with people saying that McDavid is better than Eichel, because I believe it's true. What I do have is a problem with people who think McDavid is on this huge tier above Eichel. How do you watch these respective summer camps, see the ridiculous passes Eichel has made, the tap-in goals he's left for his linemates, and say that McDavid's playmaking is a step up? How do you watch Eichel battle a guy on the boards in his own zone, steal pucks, and bully his way through the neutral zone and say that McDavid's defensive game will be on another level? How do you watch Eichel control the game entirely and say his hockey IQ doesn't compare to McDavid's? How do you watch Eichel create controlled zone entry after controlled zone entry and weave in and out of defenders with ease and say his hands aren't in McDavid's league?

McDavid is slightly superior in these categories, but not significantly so. And frankly, as someone who has watched all of both players' games (with the exception of Eichel's split squad ones, which I had no interest in paying for), and frankly Eichel has outperformed McDavid in everything but flash.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
This ^. Canadiens are just bitter that the USA has a top tier player that really will push McDavid for that 1 spot. Just accept it. Its a very slim seperation between the two

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This ^. Canadiens are just bitter that the USA has a top tier player that really will push McDavid for that 1 spot. Just accept it. Its a very slim seperation between the two

Funny because I saw it the other way.

American's are bitter that Eichel isn't in the discussion more.

JE seems like he will be an unreal hockey player - and would go number 1 in most drafts. McDavid is the consensus and would take a complete setback to knock him out of the top pick.

I don't think anyone is discrediting Eichel at all. McDavid has been incredibly hyped and not a single team in the NHL would pass him as number 1. See Jones, Colorado seemed like the perfect spot for him (Hometown, boyhood team, their depth at center etc.) The best player will be taken 1st overall and that is Connor McDavid.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

JE seems like he will be an unreal hockey player - and would go number 1 in most drafts. McDavid is the consensus and would take a complete setback to knock him out of the top pick.

I don't think anyone is discrediting Eichel; McDavid has been incredibly hyped and not a single team in the NHL would pass him as number 1. See Jones, Colorado seemed like the perfect spot for him (Hometown, boyhood team, their depth at center etc.) The best player will be taken 1st overall and that is Connor McDavid.

I see a lot of Canadians who get upset if you even suggest that Eichel is in the same league as McDavid. I don't see many if any Americans who think that Eichel is better. I'm a huge Eichel fan but I don't think he's better than McDavid. I just think he's not that far behind. And it pisses me off when Canadians try to suggest that he is because they're insecure that there is an American close to their Golden Boy.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't think Canadians should be upset if they are because it's always good for other countries to have generational talents to make hockey more competitive for the Olympics.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

I don't think anyone is discrediting Eichel at all. McDavid has been incredibly hyped and not a single team in the NHL would pass him as number 1. See Jones, Colorado seemed like the perfect spot for him (Hometown, boyhood team, their depth at center etc.) The best player will be taken 1st overall and that is Connor McDavid.

What? Have you read any of this thread? People saying that McDavid is "a whole class ahead of Eichel" need to take their blinders off. I am too probably one of the biggest Eichel fans on here, and I know that McDavid will most likely go number 1, but there really isn't as big a separation as you Canadiens make it out to be. None of you have even seen Eichel play outside of youtube highlights and the WJC last year. The USHL and USNTDP has little to no exposure for outsiders to tune in. McDavid is flashier and will probably score more points, Eichel will win you hockey games with his 2 way play.

Bps21*

At least Eichel isn't Russian. Then they'd have him in the second round.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What? Have you read any of this thread? People saying that McDavid is "a whole class ahead of Eichel" need to take their blinders off. I am too probably one of the biggest Eichel fans on here, and I know that McDavid will most likely go number 1, but there really isn't as big a separation as you Canadiens make it out to be. None of you have even seen Eichel play outside of youtube highlights and the WJC last year. The USHL and USNTDP has little to no exposure for outsiders to tune in. McDavid is flashier and will probably score more points, Eichel will win you hockey games with his 2 way play.
McDavid can win you hockey games with his two-way play aswell.

Zdeno33Lucic*

So basically what you're saying is you've never seen Eichel play?

:laugh:

Chill out. McDavid isn't that much better at all then Eichel. If you have seen Eichel play, which it is clear you haven't, you would not make a comment like that.

Are you guys serious lol.

yes I have watched him play for the love of god. Mcdavid is way ahead its not even close.

Mcdavid is just everything you want in a hockey player

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm

If you feel Eichel will be around Kane/Kessel but think Hanifin is a better prospect then you must view Hanifin as an amazing prospect.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Are you guys serious lol.

yes I have watched him play for the love of god. Mcdavid is way ahead its not even close.

Mcdavid is just everything you want in a hockey player

Doesn't someone like this make you Canadiens feel embarrassed? You've seen Eichel play during the WJC on your tv. :shakehead

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
They are very close, it's really going to depend on the team picking. Plus hasn't McKenzie already stated it's a coin flip, and half the GMs polled would take Eichel? I can't remember exactly.

Zdeno33Lucic*

Doesn't someone like this make you Canadiens feel embarrassed? You've seen Eichel play during the WJC on your tv. :shakehead

says who? you? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eichel will be lucky to reach 50-55 points let alone 60+

Mcdavid will have 70-90 points in his rookie season, haha this has nothing to do with being Canadian. If you know anything about hockey and watch both players you would know this.

Bps21*

Mcdavid will have 70-90 points in his rookie season, haha this has nothing to do with being Canadian. If you know anything about hockey and watch both players you would know this.

This is a clown post

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Ok i'll hold you to that guarentee. If your willing to bet that a rookie can put up 90 points in todays NHL, then you are clearly the one who knows absolutely nothing about hockey. Just curious, where have you seen Eichel play?

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
the battle between Americans and Canadians on here is so funny.:laugh:
To Americans, yes, Eichel is very good. Best prospect since Kane.
To Canadians, yes, Eichel is very good and could challenge McDavid.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
They are very close, it's really going to depend on the team picking. Plus hasn't McKenzie already stated it's a coin flip, and half the GMs polled would take Eichel? I can't remember exactly.
I don't think it's going to depend on the team picking. As of today, I can see majority of the teams picking McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad