Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'll admit to having a limited viewing of Eichel, just the WJC and what I've dug up on youtube. I've seen much more of Mcdavid, mostly his play in the OHL with a handful of live games in Guelph.

Eichel seems like the more complete player at this point, Mcdavid's talent is a bit above Eichel's, but Eichel seems to have a higher compete level. His forechecking is relentless and he creates chances off turnovers exceptionally well. Connor seems like the type of guy you want carrying the puck into the offensive zone and controlling the play on the PP.

That being said, I don't think they're the next big thing in hockey the way this getting hyped up to be. I highly doubt either of them touches 70 points in their rookie seasons and I also doubt either of them hitting 100 points over their careers. Will they be great players? Sure. Will they be better than guys like Kane, Giroux, Hall, or Tavares? I highly doubt it.

Comparing Mcdavid to Tavares is laughable, comparing him to Crosby is cringeworthy. Tavares put up over 70 goals in the O and Crosby posted over 2PPG and dominated the Q in scoring, both at the same age as Connor's last season. The dominance isn't there yet and he has a lot to prove this season before I'll mention them in the same breath.

Zdeno33Lucic*

Ok i'll hold you to that guarentee. If your willing to bet that a rookie can put up 90 points in todays NHL, then you are clearly the one who knows absolutely nothing about hockey. Just curious, where have you seen Eichel play?

I lived in boston 7 years.

do me a favor, check where Eichel plays/played :)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
says who? you? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eichel will be lucky to reach 50-55 points let alone 60+

Mcdavid will have 70-90 points in his rookie season, haha this has nothing to do with being Canadian. If you know anything about hockey and watch both players you would know this.

Right. That's pretty disappointing for a top 10 pick. You know that, right?

Bps21*

Derek Roy put up like 80 points a few years ago. But he's Canadian...so it explains why Eichel won't make 60.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Yikes. I just google imaged "eichel" because I realized that even though I've heard so much about him I didn't actually know what he looks like. Big mistake. Turns up a lot of pics of acorns and diseased looking penises.

Evidently "eichel" is the German word for acorns or glans

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
At the end of the day, I hope Eichel pushes McDavid and we have a good rivalry similar to when Crosby and Ovechkin came into the league.

It's good for the fans, the game, everyone.

I am actually intrigued by the future of American hockey; seem to be churning out high potential players. For our sake, lets hope they keep the Olympics.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Sweet video. Ignoring the argument of who is/will be better, should be a very exciting year for hockey in general with the quality of prospects to be drafted next year. Fun for hockey fans.

It is a sweet video! I've watched it a hundred times... the argument of who is better and by how much doesn't interest me much (although I have my opinions on the matter)...but getting in a back and forth debate on the topic is a complete waste of time and energy no matter what side of the argument you come down on...

It will be a great year leading up to the draft and it will be fun watching these 2 kids become pros.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
on a lackluster Erie team next year he should but no one should expect crazy numbers because he wont have brown to snipe for him or even Fox. He'll have to single handedly win Erie games, which judging by the summer camp games should be no problemo.

Carefull you are breaking a hf rule by suggesting that a leaf prospect has any sort of talent or skill. Most posters would say Brown only scored because of Mcdavid even though they mostly played on different lines

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
This really is going to be a neck and neck race, a lot like Seguin/Hall. WJC's will be huge. Eichel may have the advantage there because USA will need to rely on him a bit more.

McDavid will have to be special all year, or the criticism will come down hard.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
For those who’d like to see more of Eichel in action this season, most of BU’s home games are Webcasted (PPV), while a few will be on NESN (accessible via DirectTV), which also airs the Beanpot Tournament. NBC Sports Network has a schedule of Hockey East games and, given interest in Eichel, there should be several BU games included. Could also be some games on CBS Sports Network, too. The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog posts links to BU video highlights for all games when they’re available.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
says who? you? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eichel will be lucky to reach 50-55 points let alone 60+

Mcdavid will have 70-90 points in his rookie season, haha this has nothing to do with being Canadian. If you know anything about hockey and watch both players you would know this.

This is ridiculous. Both players would have had very good rookie seasons if they put up 50-55 points in their post-draft year. 90 points from McDavid as a rookie? :shakehead No one who's seen a lot of McDavid and follows the NHL thinks the kid is going to put up those kinds of numbers in his rookie season. It's not fair at all to this kid to put those kinds of expectations on him.

Putting talent level and projections aside, Eichel is probably more prepared to jump right into the NHL grind. He's bigger and stronger, plays a more NHL-style game whereas McDavid still needs to fill out and will have more adjustments to make when he can't dance around guys as easily at the next level. It shouldn't surprise anyone if Eichel has a better rookie year even if McDavid is a bit better of a prospect.

Anyone who thinks McDavid is just miles better than Eichel is most likely not in a position to fairly judge both players, because those who've seen a good amount of both do not feel that way, including NHL scouts. Is McDavid better? Yes. Should he be picked 1st? Yes. It's still close, though, and it wouldn't be surprising if Eichel is ultimately the more effective NHL player.

Hanifin should be talked up in this group as well. McDavid is a better prospect and should be picked ahead of him, but he's right there with those two. There is a tier of three players at the top of this draft in my opinion, at this point in time anyhow. After McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin you get the next tier of guys like Kylington, Konecny, Barzal, White, Andersson, etc... too early to split the rest of the top 10 or so into a 2nd and 3rd tier.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
This really is going to be a neck and neck race, a lot like Seguin/Hall. WJC's will be huge. Eichel may have the advantage there because USA will need to rely on him a bit more.

WJC have little to no bearing on were a player gets drafted.

Teams draft on skill sets and how they project a player to develop and play in the NHL.

Fans often look to the WJC to pump up one of their favorites when they don't understand or downplay it's lack of importance at the draft.

the larger body of work, ie regular season play and consistency are much more important factors that teams use in considering players to draft.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Teams draft on skill sets and how they project a player to develop and play in the NHL.

Fans often look to the WJC to pump up one of their favorites when they don't understand or downplay it's lack of importance at the draft.

the larger body of work, ie regular season play and consistency are much more important factors that teams use in considering players to draft.

I think you are vastly underestimating the importance that teams place on how players perform under huge pressure and top competition. Its not the only info they use, but it definitely matters to lots of teams.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I think you are vastly underestimating the importance that teams place on how players perform under huge pressure and top competition. Its not the only info they use, but it definitely matters to lots of teams.

It definitely matters, but like the poster above has said these two players will be watched all season long, so in the grand scheme of things the WJC will only be a small part of where they (or any player) is drafted.

Having said that, it will likely be the only time the two go head to head (unless they both somehow play at the WC), and being on the same ice will definitely raise the importance of their performances.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Neck and neck as you mean maybe close in talent? Maybe. Neck and neck as in which one will be selected #1 overall? Not really.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

The WJC has effected a lot of players draft status; such as Niederreiter, and Tatar. These guys weren't ranked that high until they tore up the WJC's.

But for a player already on scouts' radar, it has less bearing.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
They're both potential franchise guys. I think McDavid is a fair bit ahead of Eichel, but Eichel, in many drafts, is a very good #1 overall pick.

Both are going to be stars I think.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
The WJC has effected a lot of players draft status; such as Niederreiter, and Tatar. These guys weren't ranked that high until they tore up the WJC's.

But for a player already on scouts' radar, it has less bearing.

Elias Lindholm, Ondrej Kase, the list goes on and on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad