Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The WJC has effected a lot of players draft status; such as Niederreiter, and Tatar. These guys weren't ranked that high until they tore up the WJC's.

But for a player already on scouts' radar, it has less bearing.

It has also hurt some players' stock who didn't perform up to expectations.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
once again, the closest player McDavid resembles is Sid, as much as everyone hates to say it around here.

I would venture that he is Sid without as much explosiveness and core/leg strength and board work, but with more puckhandling finesse, he carries the puck similar to Datsyuk.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I would venture that he is Sid without as much explosiveness and core/leg strength and board work, but with more puckhandling finesse, he carries the puck similar to Datsyuk.

I would say McDavids first stride and acceleration is or will be as good or better than Sids. Not as much core strength though.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

Who is Jack Eichel? Funny video where John Moore (sportsandMoore.com) interviews people in N. Chelmsford, Mass and asks them just who is Jack Eichel?

As a sidenote, imagine going to New Market, Ont. lol

People will know Eichel's name in a few years, I guarantee that.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
This is ridiculous. Both players would have had very good rookie seasons if they put up 50-55 points in their post-draft year. 90 points from McDavid as a rookie? :shakehead No one who's seen a lot of McDavid and follows the NHL thinks the kid is going to put up those kinds of numbers in his rookie season. It's not fair at all to this kid to put those kinds of expectations on him.

Putting talent level and projections aside, Eichel is probably more prepared to jump right into the NHL grind. He's bigger and stronger, plays a more NHL-style game whereas McDavid still needs to fill out and will have more adjustments to make when he can't dance around guys as easily at the next level. It shouldn't surprise anyone if Eichel has a better rookie year even if McDavid is a bit better of a prospect.

Anyone who thinks McDavid is just miles better than Eichel is most likely not in a position to fairly judge both players, because those who've seen a good amount of both do not feel that way, including NHL scouts. Is McDavid better? Yes. Should he be picked 1st? Yes. It's still close, though, and it wouldn't be surprising if Eichel is ultimately the more effective NHL player.

Hanifin should be talked up in this group as well. McDavid is a better prospect and should be picked ahead of him, but he's right there with those two. There is a tier of three players at the top of this draft in my opinion, at this point in time anyhow. After McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin you get the next tier of guys like Kylington, Konecny, Barzal, White, Andersson, etc... too early to split the rest of the top 10 or so into a 2nd and 3rd tier.

Sorry but a 50 rookie season by McDavid would most definitely be disappointing. It would be highly disappointing. I imagine most people expect 70+ points just don't wanna get flamed for saying it. Cause ya know...he's only 18 :shakehead:help:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
He'll have around 80 points in his rookie season. By the time he's 21 he'll be leading the league in scoring.

jgoud*

He'll have around 80 points in his rookie season. By the time he's 21 he'll be leading the league in scoring.
Wow, talk about overrated. McDavid and Eichel will both be great hockey players, but them along with their entire draft class are completely overrated. I'm positive neither cracks 70 points their rookie seasons and I'd be surprised if one of them cracks 100 in a season. To say they will be better than guys like Tavares and are more comparable to Crosby is ridiculous, Tavares had 77 points in 65 OHL games when he was 15 years old. McDavid, who imo is the better of the two, was just over a PPG and 16 by the end of his rookie season in the ohl.

Yeah, these guys have the potential to be great, but everyone is going to be surprised when they make the NHL and are nowhere near Crosby's level.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Wow, talk about overrated. McDavid and Eichel will both be great hockey players, but them along with their entire draft class are completely overrated by some. I'm positive neither cracks 70 points their rookie seasons and I'd be surprised if one of them cracks 100 in a season. To say they will be better than guys like Tavares and are more comparable to Crosby is ridiculous, Tavares had 77 points in 65 OHL games when he was 15 years old. McDavid, who imo is the better of the two, was just over a PPG and 16 by the end of his rookie season in the ohl.

Yeah, these guys have the potential to be great, but everyone is going to be surprised when they make the NHL and are nowhere near Crosby's level.
Fixed.

Right now I see no need to speak in such extremes. Everything is just speculation.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
Wow, talk about overrated. McDavid and Eichel will both be great hockey players, but them along with their entire draft class are completely overrated. I'm positive neither cracks 70 points their rookie seasons and I'd be surprised if one of them cracks 100 in a season. To say they will be better than guys like Tavares and are more comparable to Crosby is ridiculous, Tavares had 77 points in 65 OHL games when he was 15 years old. McDavid, who imo is the better of the two, was just over a PPG and 16 by the end of his rookie season in the ohl.

Tavares didn't improve substantially throughout his OHL career. McDavid has consistently gotten better every year so far. The best athletes have a longer development curve because they don't peak early.

Not saying Tavares peaked as he obviously has gotten a lot better, but IMO McDavid will improve substantially year over year for a long time.

It was clear that Tavares was much more physically mature than McDavid at a younger age. To say that he can't be at that level or higher is ridiculous considering he has all the skills of Tavares plus the best skating since Crosby (Taveras was not a good skater when he came into the league, and it's still not one of his strengths).

Scouts would rarely ever say something such as, "McDavid is ahead of Crosby at the same age" yet they did.

Don't forget that Patrick Kane had 72 points as a rookie. McDavid will be a significantly better player in the NHL than Patrick Kane.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
McDavid should be in his rookie season at 6'1 205-210ish lbs. Good weight for the NHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't know why everyone is putting such a heavy emphasis on his rookie season. A rookie season doesn't make or break a player. I think him going PPG isn't out of the question but personally I don't expect it. PPG is hard for any player, let alone a teenager. I expect something similar to MacKinnon. 60-70 points, with him improving a lot in the year after. Anything more than that is just a bonus IMO. For reference: Tavares had 54p in his rookie season, Stamkos had 46. Getting 60-70 points is very reasonable for McDavid.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I think it's ridiculous to think mcdavid could hit 205-210 by next year.

He gained 15 lbs this offseason and is 190 lbs now.... how is it ridiculous to think he puts another 5 lbs on during his season and maybe another 10-15 next offseason.

jgoud*

Tavares didn't improve substantially throughout his OHL career. McDavid has consistently gotten better every year so far. The best athletes have a longer development curve because they don't peak early.

Not saying Tavares peaked as he obviously has gotten a lot better, but IMO McDavid will improve substantially year over year for a long time.

It was clear that Tavares was much more physically mature than McDavid at a younger age. To say that he can't be at that level or higher is ridiculous considering he has all the skills of Tavares plus the best skating since Crosby (Taveras was not a good skater when he came into the league, and it's still not one of his strengths).

Scouts would rarely ever say something such as, "McDavid is ahead of Crosby at the same age" yet they did.

Don't forget that Patrick Kane had 72 points as a rookie. McDavid will be a significantly better player in the NHL than Patrick Kane.
Tavares improved dramatically after his first OHL year, just like McDavid did. And comparing their rookie and sophomore season totals so far, Tavares is well ahead: 211 points compared to 165 while playing only 13 more games.

You're a perfect example of what I'm getting at. No, he likely won't be significantly better than Kane, he will likely be at Kane's level and could be a tad better if he reaches his full potential. Who even is significantly better than Kane? Crosby is better, but to say significantly is a bit ridiculous.

Most prospects don't pan out as expected, and although top 3s are usually different, saying something like prospect x is a lock to have a significantly better career than Patrick Kane is laughable. There was lots of hype around Mackinnon, especially in the off season leading to his draft. Mac is going to be a great hockey player, but to say something like he is a lock to be better than a player like Kane is just stupid right now.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Tavares improved dramatically after his first OHL year, just like McDavid did. And comparing their rookie and sophomore season totals so far, Tavares is well ahead: 211 points compared to 165 while playing only 13 more games.

You're a perfect example of what I'm getting at. No, he likely won't be significantly better than Kane, he will likely be at Kane's level and could be a tad better if he reaches his full potential. Who even is significantly better than Kane? Crosby is better, but to say significantly is a bit ridiculous.

Most prospects don't pan out as expected, and although top 3s are usually different, saying something like prospect x is a lock to have a significantly better career than Patrick Kane is laughable. There was lots of hype around Mackinnon, especially in the off season leading to his draft. Mac is going to be a great hockey player, but to say something like he is a lock to be better than a player like Kane is just stupid right now.

Corsby is significantly better than Kane...

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I find it funny how people rip Crosby and call him a baby and a bi**h, then turn around and praise Mcdavid as he's the second coming. If you think Sids a baby, what does that make Mcdavid?

He gained 15 lbs this offseason and is 190 lbs now.... how is it ridiculous to think he puts another 5 lbs on during his season and maybe another 10-15 next offseason.

Players don't gain weight during the season, especially if they play professional hockey/sports in general.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

McDavid is playing in a different era right now; one where there's only a couple 100 point scorers in the OHL.

It's like saying he'd have to score 100 points to match Crosby's rookie season, when there was like 8 100 point scorers that year.

You need more context when comparing seasons that are like 7 years apart.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Corsby is significantly better than Kane...
Ummm, not really...His team has won one more championship while making a very significant impact in both Cup runs in a MUCH tougher conference as well.

McDavid is playing in a different era right now; one where there's only a couple 100 point scorers in the OHL.

It's like saying he'd have to score 100 points to match Crosby's rookie season, when there was like 8 100 point scorers that year.

You need more context when comparing seasons that are like 7 years apart.

L to the L, different era? How many different eras' can you put into a 6 year gap because that is the age difference between the two. Now because McDavid is being overhyped and isn't close to Tavares point total at the same age there must be some brick wall Doughtys' and Carey Prices' back stopping the OHL. That is the only logical conclusion, it could never be that the Holy Prodigal Son named McDavid isn't actually the player the hype level currently is at (please will someone please think of the children!). It's just the OHL is now at the level of ECHL and quickly closing down to the AHL, while developing countless numbers of Shea Webers' and Ryan Suters' within those 6 years, which the holy son has to play against every Friday and Saturday night. Now don't get me wrong I am not calling McD a bad player, he seems like a bright kid with a potentially great future...BUT some of the posters expectations of him in this thread is gold worthy. This will be a great bump in 2019, I'm seeing some Gilbert Brulé errie type of posts here.

regardless, Connor is 190 right now and if he adds 15 lbs next offseason, hes 205.
*Warning* There are current players in the NHL that weigh more than 200+ and have a soft game. Conner isn't particularly soft, but he isn't exactly Carbon Nanotubes tough like Getzlaf or Perry.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Ummm, not really...His team has won one more championship while making a very significant impact in both Cup runs in a MUCH tougher conference as well.

Kane isn't even a top 10 player in the NHL, Crosby is significantly better than Patrick Kane.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Are you aware that there's only been 8 100 point scorers in the last 3 years in the OHL? That's one less than the amount there were the year Tavares scored 72 goals. So yeah, it's clearly a different era. That's not hard to see.

EDIT: In Tavares' first 3 years there were 24 total 100 point scorers. Only 8 the past 3 years.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013

Oh I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about who the better player is not the better team.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Players don't gain weight during the season, especially if they play professional hockey/sports in general.

Depends on the league more than anything. I think NCAA hockey players probably put on weight or at least maintain it, because they have plenty of off-time between games to be able to work out and have top-notch training facilities and programs on campus. NHL players on the other hand all lose weight over the course of the season. CHL would be in the same boat as the NHL, so in this case you're right.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about McDavid's weight going forward. It's something he has to work on but he's working with Gary Roberts. He looked noticably bulked up when he was doing the media rounds in Buffalo the other day to announce the hosting of an Erie - Niagara game at the First Niagara Center. He's not NHL-ready of course but after another offseason under Roberts I have no doubt he'll be ready enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad