Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Mittelstadt has been a 60 point pace player the last two seasons on BUFFALO (no offense BUF fans) and is still 25.
Dont think he been any special , did okey in Buffalo. Think we good the better player. Power Dahlin Samuelsson byram insane potential at d with Johnson also, we Were set at C position with Tage and cozens both better . And the drafted players xoming

Reactions: randywoodsghost

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
? - What are you talking about? Color me perplexed by your statement. Buffalo’s exact need is a young top four defenseman to add to the group. So how does Buffalo not feel the need? The only type of player I or most buf fans ever wanted to trade Casey for was another young top 4 d potential.

Kinda like when the Avs traded Barrie to Toronto for Kadri. He was a great fit as a RHD but he was a small PMD when they already had Rielly. Arguably a bit worse in Buffalo with Dahlin and Power ahead of him and Samuelsson being lhd too.

The interesting thing here though, imo, is if Byram can learn to play better on his offhand from Dahlin. Because Samuelsson is an ideal partner for Byram. I always though Bryam had that Scotty Nieds first pairing potential alongside Makar, probably not anymore, but no reason he couldn't be a poor man's version on the 2nd pairing with a solid dfd covering for an unleashed offensive game.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
casey-mittelstadt.jpg

Good thing he'll never have to worry about lifting a cup in Colorado
Get me every time haha, thanks for posting :laugh:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Dont think he been any special , did okey in Buffalo. Think we good the better player. Power Dahlin Samuelsson byram insane potential at d with Johnson also, we Were set at C position with Tage and cozens both better . And the drafted players xoming
Mittelstadt behind MacKinnon/Rantanen/Makar etc. will probably look A LOT better than he did on Buffalo.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It's a terrible trade for Buffalo. Another overshot thought process on a player who had high expectations coming out of the 2019 draft. Yes, he looked good in the 2021 cup win, but he's been concussed on multiple occassions and injured in others. The Sabres already have this player in Mattias Samuelsson, who cannot find the ice the last two years. Congrats Colorado, you fleeced the Sabres. Byram, I expect you'll play a season here before asking out. The front office of this organization is a laughing stock.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Can someone describe Mittelstadt? Just looking at his box stats idk how this is lopsided?

Is he really good two way? Limited minutes or linemates ?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Mittelstadt behind MacKinnon/Rantanen/Makar etc. will probably look A LOT better than he did on Buffalo.
He will also get less ice time and most importantly much less premium ice time... I doubt that he will still play on PP1

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Good trade for both teams. Can’t really justify one player objectively being better than the other

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He will also get less ice time and most importantly much less premium ice time... I doubt that he will still play on PP1
Avs have a set umbrella powerplay with MacK (right handed shot) on the left; Makar at the top; and Rantanen (left handed shot) on the right. The other two are completely interchangeable, with one player typically in front of the net to screen/tip shots (formerly Landeskog) and then another in a roaming bumper spot. I'm expecting Mittelstadt will get a long look in the latter position.
And who plays C on PP2?
PP2 gets maybe 30 seconds a powerplay. It doesn't really matter. It's generally just a hodge-podge group of whoever is healthy.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
A bit more risk with Byram but a ton of upside. He’s kind of a blueline version of Cozens. He has shown tremendous ability at the NHL level but consistency and decision making still a work in progress. And the injury risk.

CM has really developed into a great player, although I think he is what he is at this point - which is a real nice fit for the Avs behind MacK.

Several posters hypothesized this trade months ago IIRC…the evaluation was spot on.
Byram and Cozens are good friends so maybe Bo won’t be too depressed.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The first 5 years of the deal he can be traded, no NTC or NMC.

It would be remarkable to trade him, and the return wouldn't be what you'd want for a former 1st overall. But this is the situation Buffalo has created for itself by adding Byram. If Byram can stay healthy all of next season and if the organization feels like he is worth committing to long term, trading Power is certainly an option and perhaps a necessity.
I agree, but that doesn't mean the Sabres haven't already committed to Power by giving him a 7 year deal.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Is HF is used by GM. That trade has been discussed like 2 or 3 weeks ago. People were ok on both side on that time. I think this move was the one to do, Avs kills it! Welldone. The 2nd line could be a thing again.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Is HF is used by GM. That trade has been discussed like 2 or 3 weeks ago. People were ok on both side on that time. I think this move was the one to do, Avs kills it! Welldone. The 2nd line could be a thing again.

Yup props to the posters who were tinkering with this weeks ago…I think there were fans on both sides thinking it was pretty plausible.

Reactions: bleuetbio

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Can someone describe Mittelstadt? Just looking at his box stats idk how this is lopsided?

Is he really good two way? Limited minutes or linemates ?
Look at 5 vs 5 points. Good two way center that is still improving. He's definately been Sabres best forward this season. He leaves right after really breaking out like Reinhart. Sucks.

Reactions: BFLO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad