Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Colorado filled a need. Buffalo didn't, arguably their situation is more complicated now. Even though Byram's a great player, from Buffalo's pov I wouldn't have done it without a high pick coming back too.

Reactions: S E P H

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Has anyone posted the pic of Mittelstadt failing to do a pull up yet in this thread? That one always cracks me up haha

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
My guess is Buffalo tries to use Samuelsson for some winger upgrade.

I was thinking more for a goalie upgrade. Saros was the guy I was thinking they might target and he might be an especially fantastic mentor for Levi.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Good deal for the Avs. Byram is the most overrated young dman on these boards. No one wants to admit that he has regressed significantly since the Avs cup win.

The question will be.... How much will it cost to re-sign Casey M? 6M?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think Buffalo has a year+change to decide to commit to Byram or Power long term. To me its a bit like the Gauthier trade...they found a young defenseman with top pair potential. In spite of the overkill in handedness and skill set, I think that Buffalo thinks they just can't be worse next year than they are now (LOLLLLLLL) and they can kick the Power-or-Byram can down the road a bit.

Buffalo will also have to choose between Savoie and Kulich, within the next year and a half.

As a Buffalo fan I continue to shake my head at roster construction...but the value isn't that bad. Considering Mitts will be wanting 7 million a year, the value isn't bad at all.

My thing is- why not just sign Mitts to that? Having 3 solid Cs is not a problem. My guess is he wanted out, either that or Adams is a moron. You have a 2C talent at 3C, that’s the best sort of problem to have. Sign him, then move Cozens or Thompson either to wing or in a trade, should they start next season slow. Sorry, but Mitts is that reliable imo.

But I assume he wanted gone, we get to hope Byram stays healthy and puts together a run here, decides he wants to stay on a decent deal- idk, man. Even typing it out I woulda rather dealt with the Mitts situation, unless again, dude wanted done with Sabres.

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
Well dang there goes Bo atleast they got Casey in return Buffalo's top scorer win win.

Go Avs Go

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I was thinking more for a goalie upgrade. Saros was the guy I was thinking they might target and he might be an especially fantastic mentor for Levi.

Luukkonen doesn’t need upgrading. Goaltending was a problem for last year’s Sabres, but it’s not last year anymore.

Reactions: Figgy44

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Casey is not that young on the Sabres… And honestly, he’s only leading the team in scoring because everyone else is having a down here that is good. He was definitely the third center and there was no way they are going to pay him when they have so many other prospects in the coppers and krebs ready to fill that role. As an FYI… Two years ago he was a total Bust
FYI Tage Thompson was a bust not that long ago too. Players develop and improve, imagine that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
1709767178256.png

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I like both players, both have massive potential, i think that Byram is who i would want because he's younger, but it seems like a good old fair hockey trade.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
To call this a fleece would be extreme, but I think COL wins this trade massively.
It’s hard to say because Byram is 22 and defensemen historically have sometimes taken a while to come into their own, even if more recently we’ve had some really young stars

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
You realize they already committed to power long term by signing him to a 7 year deal right?

The first 5 years of the deal he can be traded, no NTC or NMC.

It would be remarkable to trade him, and the return wouldn't be what you'd want for a former 1st overall. But this is the situation Buffalo has created for itself by adding Byram. If Byram can stay healthy all of next season and if the organization feels like he is worth committing to long term, trading Power is certainly an option and perhaps a necessity.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
At face value it seems buffalo got a good player . They needed to be top and deep at D . Mittlestad was okey no more or less

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Mittelstadt has been a 60 point pace player the last two seasons on BUFFALO (no offense BUF fans) and is still 25.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Byram's concussion history is rather scary, I'm surprised Buffalo made this trade to be honest.

• Love
Reactions: Fearnot

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Colorado filled a need. Buffalo didn't, arguably their situation is more complicated now. Even though Byram's a great player, from Buffalo's pov I wouldn't have done it without a high pick coming back too.
? - What are you talking about? Color me perplexed by your statement. Buffalo’s exact need is a young top four defenseman to add to the group. So how does Buffalo not feel the need? The only type of player I or most buf fans ever wanted to trade Casey for was another young top 4 d potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad