Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Your GM drafted 3 forwards in the 1st round 2 under 6 feet. No other GM in the league would do something that dumb.

He's missed 126 games in his last 3 seasons. Ah so now he is in Buffalo well no one is blocking him there oh wait. So he's going to play his offside for his career and develop into a top 4 Dmen eh? Yah we'll see.
I was going to be done but… It’s obvious that you shouldn’t be calling anybody dumb when you’re making comments about small players. that is dinosaur thinking and any analytics person that studies the draft knows that avoiding someone because they’re small even if they have high-end skill and compete is just the actual stupid thing. Look at Benson… How many teams skipped over him because he was not over 6 feet and he’s already playing like a dog in the NHL and is going to be a super stud. Hope Arizona is happy with the 6 foot seven guy they picked that might never come from Russia instead…

Reactions: luiginb

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
From being being the best player of the 2019 draft and so untouchable that Av's would laugh at you for suggesting a trade to this. :confused:
well yea he was a highly touted prospect that played outstanding in the avs cup run. of course he was untouchable to them at the time. that's like complaining that nemec is untouchable to the devils and nemec hasn't accomplished anything yet.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
The other way to look at this is to imagine we traded Mitts 2 years ago, when most here would have been happy to see him go. Give Bo that same couple of years to develop and you might feel a little different about this trade, and Bo is better now that Mitts was 2 years ago.
Mitts, being the only 2-way center on the team, filled a need now. Byram, being a puck-moving LD with a frightening concussion history, does not fill a need now or in the near future. What Mitts was 2 years ago or what Byram will be in two years is irrelevant. The sabres have dug themselves a hole of defensively aware centers, that barring a trade of substantial assets, will not be filled for the next few years.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
My guess is Buffalo tries to use Samuelsson for some winger upgrade.
That's the freaking last thing the Sabres should do. Trade your young, defensive-minded stalwart blueliner signed to a beautiful contract on a team that needs a half-dozen more guys with a similar mindset? All while you have a ton of winger prospects getting close and even some center prospects like Savoie who may end up as wingers?

They need Samuelsson more than ever.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Does buffalo have the best top 4 in the league now??

Personally I think buffalo comes ahead here if one of dahlin power or Byram can play on the right side cause a top 4 of Dahlin,Power,Byram, and Samuelsson is ridiculous.
It's a younger version of Ottawa's top 4 of Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, and Zub.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
one of those trades that both sides win imo. byram has a ton of potential but avs need results now and got a really good player in his prime. i wouldnt be surprised if byram broke out offensively next season in buffalo.

This is how I see it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There’s a pretty sizable gap between Dahlin and anyone on Otaawa’s blue line.
I agree, but the point remains the same. 3/4 of them prefer playing on the left-side, and while all of them are clearly top 4 defenseman, together they just don't work together. I'd personally would love to be proven wrong as I hope it does work out and Buffalo has their top 4 set for the next 5+ years, but the likelihood just seems very, very low.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Your GM drafted 3 forwards in the 1st round 2 under 6 feet. No other GM in the league would do something that dumb.

He's missed 126 games in his last 3 seasons. Ah so now he is in Buffalo well no one is blocking him there oh wait. So he's going to play his offside for his career and develop into a top 4 Dmen eh? Yah we'll see.
I don't have a GM so maybe try to stick to an actual decent argument instead of mudslinging eh?

I have watched Bryam play a lot both as a prospect and as an NHLers he is still only 23 going into next year and a very good all around still developing Dman and is cost controlled and signed for another year.

This was a good trade in terms of value for both teams.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think Buffalo has a year+change to decide to commit to Byram or Power long term. To me its a bit like the Gauthier trade...they found a young defenseman with top pair potential. In spite of the overkill in handedness and skill set, I think that Buffalo thinks they just can't be worse next year than they are now (LOLLLLLLL) and they can kick the Power-or-Byram can down the road a bit.

Buffalo will also have to choose between Savoie and Kulich, within the next year and a half.

As a Buffalo fan I continue to shake my head at roster construction...but the value isn't that bad. Considering Mitts will be wanting 7 million a year, the value isn't bad at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad