Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think this is probably because of contract negotiations for Byram. Because Buffalo won this trade, and they need to make the playoffs next year. No excuses if ands or buts.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Really hope Byram doesn't get another concussion otherwise this trade will look pretty bad. Dahlin can play on the right side even if he is a lefty anyway and not really play worse at all.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Obviously Mittlestadt is the better player by far right now. But I think Byram is being underestimated here.

He's only 22 and defenseman tend to peak later than forwards. He has the higher ceiling than Mittlestadt and if you compare their seasons at the same age, Byram comes out on top production wise, as a defenseman.

Mittlestadt ages 19 to 22
GP155. G27 P61

Byram ages 19 to 22
GP146 G23 P63

Byram may have taken a step back this year, but he still has time to figure it out. If he reaches his ceiling, this might be a win for the Sabres long term. Of course, that's a huge IF, and Mittlestadt himself could still become better than he currently is atm.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Big win for the Avs IMO. Not smart for Buffalo getting yet another mobile LD when they need experience and defensively responsible players both at forward (where Mittelstadt could be thought of as their best 2-way forward) and on defense (where Byram's fancy stats on a much better team have been kind of ass). Buffalo does the usual and gets younger when they need to be looking at finding vets and evening out their performances to actually operate as pros. They dealt one of the guys who did that and for someone who is a lot of potential.

Byram is a nice player. If they didn't already have the Dahlin and Power tandem as left shooting defense, I'd be more interested. There is the possibility that they plug one of them in on the right side (Dahlin) with Byram on left at the moment. Or they move Power over there and try him with Byram, though the guy needs someone who is a lot more defensively responsible and more engaged around the net than what I have seen of Byram to balance out Power's deficiencies.

If it's a two-stage deal, with say Power going somewhere this summer, it's not like Power has pumped his value with how his 2nd season has gone. Either way, looks like a talent loss, especially without there being anything more than just Byram in the deal. Colorado had a need and they still managed to not have to dig nearly deep enough to get a quality 2C.

For what it’s worth, Byram has shown great defensive ability in the past for substantial stretches. Not lately and I believe he’s a bit down on himself for his level of play this year but he does have the instincts and ability to be very good in this area.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Clearly the sabres wanted no part of signing him long term or a 1yr arb victory. This is the most valuable asset they could find.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
For what it’s worth, Byram has shown great defensive ability in the past for substantial stretches. Not lately and I believe he’s a bit down on himself for his level of play this year but he does have the instincts and ability to be very good in this area.
Maybe a change of scenery ignites him a bit.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Also more than likely not a center.

Buffalo has TWO players that profile to centers: Noah Ostlund....who should be a middle 6 center. Annnnnd Tyson Kozak, who is a 4th line center IF he makes the show.
Bottom 2 centers are pretty easy to grab in FA. Our top 2 centers are locked in with Thompson/Cozens for quite awhile.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Maybe a change of scenery ignites him a bit.
I hope so. He seems like a very prideful kid and will likely have a chip on his shoulder and want to prove it was the wrong decision to trade him. I just worry that he’s gonna have the same issues albeit to a lesser extent where he has an uphill battle to claim a top spot on his new roster. Although, if you want it go out and earn it kid!

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Obviously Mittlestadt is the better player by far right now. But I think Byram is being underestimated here.

He's only 22 and defenseman tend to peak later than forwards. He has the higher ceiling than Mittlestadt and if you compare their seasons at the same age, Byram comes out on top production wise, as a defenseman.

Mittlestadt ages 19 to 22
GP155. G27 P61

Byram ages 19 to 22
GP146 G23 P63

Byram may have taken a step back this year, but he still has time to figure it out. If he reaches his ceiling, this might be a win for the Sabres long term. Of course, that's a huge IF, and Mittlestadt himself could still become better than he currently is atm.

Yes. The only issue is that Byram has a history of injuries and concussions.

Reactions: Felidae

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad