Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
doesn't Timmins have a really bad concussion history. like missed a whole year or more because of concussions?

sounds like he could be one tough hit away from retirement at such a young age.

I guess Arizona felt that he was a risk and wanted a bit more to make the deal worthwhile. can't blame them for that.

Yes and that's the irony in people crying that Kuemper is injury prone.

It's an overpayment in the sense that Kuemper has only one year left on his contract. But Timmins was nothing special and the Avs can't draft outside of the top 10 anyway.

Those assets would have most likely became nothing for the Avs.

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
Good one for the Avs even when the price was steep. Have a strong feeling they can win with Kuemper and that's what matters

Reactions: AvsFan29

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Haha Sakic didn’t wait around.

It was pretty obvious after last night that the Avs would have to swing a trade, and that the 1st would be in play.

Kuemper or Gibson aren’t the type of players teams just give away.

But meh, i think if the Avs find someone better than Grubauer and lock em up in the next couple years then this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe it’s Kuemper.

Grubauer isn’t a 6m goalie.

Reactions: Forceberg

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Avs lose Grubauer, Graves, Timmins and possibly Saad. That's 4 depth players (one a starting goalie) gone in one offseason. I don't see how this team doesn't regress next season.
Because Kuemper and Grubauer is a wash. Newhook and Byram are here to take Graves and Saad's job.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
There is no other way to say it: Sakic lost this one....and he lost "bad".....We better hope Kuemper stays healthy. Beside Landeskog and Makar, this has been a very poor FA from Sakic so far.
You can see into the future?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Reconsidered if this was the worst trade in the off-season, Risto and Reinhart were worse with higher draft positions and comparable prospects.

Sakic overpaid, but still among the worst deals. Kuemper is a superior injury prone Goalie. For this season, alleviates uncertainties to the team. He’s likely fixing this huge hole after 2 playoff eliminations were due to subpar Goalie performances.

AVs fans have been fortunate to have Sakic. Still among the top teams, they have a stronger Goalie, core returning with new deals, farm is still top 10 and more cap than last season. Confident the future Goalie situation will be resolved during the season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Avs lose Grubauer, Graves, Timmins and possibly Saad. That's 4 depth players (one a starting goalie) gone in one offseason. I don't see how this team doesn't regress next season.
Because the offseason is not over yet? First of all, Saad might still return. Yes, Sakic said he's gone but that was before the Kuemper trade and LeBrun said the Avs still pitched him yesterday. Graves was going to be replaced by Byram. Timmins was the #6 guy yes, but not like he can't be replaced there by MacDonald for an example. And if Kuemper is able to stay healthy, he is probably an upgrade over Grubauer.

Yes, there's still plenty of work to be done by Sakic and plenty of question marks still remain regarding the health of Kuemper, Francouz and EJ. But it's not all doom and gloom here. If all goes well, the team is actually not worse than the one starting last season, might actually be improved. We shall see. Sakic has done a lot of off season acquisitions after the initial "free agent frenzy" has passed.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Because we are going to see Makar, Byram, Newhook all take steps forward this year. We have great depth, and if there’s any issues, Sakic can address them before the deadline. It’s not like the Avs are going to be fighting for a playoff spot. They have all season to iron things out.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's obvious Sakic was convinced Grubauer would accept the offer on the table and when Grubauer chose Seattle it was full scramble mode.

In hindsight Sakic should have forced Grubauer to make up his mind before free agency started to have full flexibility to find a replacement without everyone already being gone.

Reactions: Richard88

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Somehow I blame this on coach Bednar and his unability to realize what kind of defenseman Timmins is. In the end it was Sakic's decision(s), though. Congrats, Arizona, this is a great trade for you imo.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's obvious Sakic was convinced Grubauer would accept the offer on the table and when Grubauer chose Seattle it was full scramble mode.

In hindsight Sakic should have forced Grubauer to make up his mind before free agency started to have full flexibility to find a replacement without everyone already being gone.
Not signing Grubauer to a 6x6 is one of the best moves he’s ever made. Getting Kuemper for a late first, and Timmins, is also a good trade. We’ll see how it goes.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Feels like a win-win for two organizations in very different positions.

Late 1st = maybe you absolutely luck out an get a home run, but chances are you are getting a bottom 6 forward, or bottom 4 defenseman. Valuable, especially if they breakout early, but not someone who is irreplaceable.
Timmins = may sting a little more since he is on a cheap contract and can contribute now. But with his injuries you aren't looking at a late 1st who all of a sudden has jumped up the roster and is now a bluechip. Seems like a decent player who can fill a role, but you could get just as lucky hitting on a waiver pickup or another random prospect excelling in the AHL and making the jump to the team. Darcy Kuemper is a perfect example of this for the Yotes. Or Garland.

Kuemper = one of the top goalies the past several seasons. Injuries have hurt both his numbers and impression around the league. Upcoming UFA, but seems much more humble than Grubauer and has spent his entire career bouncing around teams. He has never been in the position for a 6x6 type deal, and I think he knows that even if he leads Colorado to a cup he isn't in the position to ask for one due to age, injuries and games played. He has already made millions for many years. If anything Colorado may be able to sign a better goalie for cheaper for the next several years of their window through Darcy.

A bad trade is a 1st, 2nd, Bahl and Merkely for an upcoming UFA in Hall just because your team that is finally sniffing the playoffs and could use a winger to put them over the top (spoiler, he didn't).

The price for Kuemper was probably cheaper before UFA than it was after half of the leagues goalies found new homes. Good on Armstrong for being stubborn and getting what he asked for. Good GM's don't break on every negotiation and Sakic is known for this. But really this is about going all in for a cup, not hoping to make the playoffs and maybe make some noise. I mean it's not like you re-signed Mike Smith for two more seasons or traded all your bluechips for a top-ish defenseman without a goalie to stop a puck behind him.

As a Yotes fan I love the trade because of where we are, I think BA ultimately came out on top. But I think Colorado fans will be happy with this outcome if Darcy re-signs and helps get them deep into the playoffs. My guess is in 3 more years you wont be missing Timmins all that much nor whoever could have been drafted at 32 (aka an early 2nd 5 years ago)

Reactions: Kaizen and LOFIN

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

These guys are pretty replaceable. I like Timmins but he wasn't going to be a top-end defenceman and his concussion history is an issue. Graves was actively bad for the Avs. Grubauer is a solid goalie, but you don't really want to give term and dollars to any goalie. His expected save % was actually pretty high given the Avs defensive environment, and Grubauer basically performed as expected with that in mind.

The real issue is that they overpaid for Kuemper, another guy with injury issues. He's also solid, but for a 1st, Sakic probably should've got max salary retention.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad