Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Arizona's offseason is a pretty spectacular way to kick off a legit rebuild. They've kinda been eternally rebuilding, but at least now they're in a position to do it in the right way.

7 picks in the first 2 rounds of the very promising 2022 draft. Crazy.
Now they just need to start drafting better. A lot of misses with some exceptions.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Avs are in win it now mode and they had to do something, while Arizona got a good deal for a player that wouldnt help Arizona next year anyway. I dont hate it for Avs

It's Timmins and a super late 1st round pick for a really good goalie @ 3.5M

Reactions: 0point1

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
And Sakic finally dropped the ball.

After years of getting almost everything right, Sakic neglected to prepare for the Avs goalie situation for 21-22, and as a result backed into a corner made a desperation deal that could cost the Avs both now and in the future.

Just wow...A 1st in the best draft in years for ONE (1) year of Kuemper!? Getting rid of that 1st eliminates so many moves because they also don't have a 2nd or 4th next year.

The Avs ain't winning a Cup with Kuemper. They're bringing back basically the same team that got handled by Vegas. The Avs should've traded a 3rd for a 1B type of guy or just waited until another opportunity opened up closer to the start of the season (or during it).

There's no way to slice it...This is brutal. Not just the trade itself, but the ripple effect it will have for the Avs for a while.
A player that they avs might have ready to play maybe 5 years down the road isn’t going to help them to win the cup now( the window is open). Gru is a good goalie but he doesn’t make the big save when he needs to. Kuemper (when healthy is a top 5 goalie in the league) hopefully he can take us where Grubauer could not.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
After the Chayka disaster and embarrassment, it is nice to see AZ have a heck of an off season. And I am not even an AZ fan, I just respect what they are trying to correct.

On the other hand, this is definitely a black eye for the Avs, who I have enjoyed watch build something nice. This was just some bad planning and asset management, and I have no idea how they did not project this kind of outcome. If Kuemper can be solid then at least this deal will be in the rearview. If he is not......this trade will echo on HF for years to come.

Reactions: Konk

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Sleepy Joe got caught with his pants down and his hands in the snowblower this off-season. He’s got a worse team than last year and no assets left to improve at the deadline
Hardly. Was a good move not signing gru. They are slightly better with Darcy. Still the favorite to come out of the west. Got thier best signed long term. Call that a win

Reactions: Forceberg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Maybe it's just me but I find that a lot to spend on Kuemper who is 31 and has never been able to hold on to a job as #1 which he only has 1 season as the undisputed #1 in 18-19. Heck at 31 he has only 242 games in the NHL. Guess we shall see.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
So who's Arizona's goaltending duo now? Hutton + Prosvetov?

They gotta be the Wright + Bedard/Michkov frontrunners right now

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Yeah Sakic definitely got stuck without a dance partner at the end of the day.

Word is Anderson was his UFA backup plan if Grubauer didn't sign, but Grubaeur took too long to decide. Anderson got nervous and took a big deal while it was still available to him.

So Sakic got stuck in a bidding war with Edmonton, which is something Sakic generally stays out of. He had to pay a bigger price to not only beat Edmonton but Arizona knew they had the last real goalie available worth a damn.

I'm a little relieved. I'd take Kuemper easily over Anderson. Even with the overpay.

Not the best move Sakic has ever made, but he still gets a very good starting goalie. If Kuemper can stay healthy I honestly think the Avs upgraded from Grubauer. I'm going to wait to see if Kuemper ends up extending with the Avs before I call this a 'bad' trade though. If Kuemper fits well, doesn't have major injury issues this season, and ultimately extends then I like this trade from and Avs perspective.

I'm not a huge Timmins fan on the Avs, he's probably the slowest defender of the Avs top six. Not a super good fit. I think he'll be great in Arizona , where that team is and their level of skill while they're retooling. They'll really like Timmins and he'll get much more of an opportunity there than he would with the Avs. He was pigeon holed into the #6 spot with the Avs having Justin Barron who will probably get some NHL games this year.

This probably benefits Timmins as well, he's officially a full time NHL player going forward.

Just watch - Kuemper will win a Vezina, somehow.

It's going to be interesting to see how much of a bump his stats get going to one of the better teams in the league. His agent is probably thrilled going into a contract year.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kuemper is no downgrade, because he is the better goaltender.

They're close for career stats, Kuemper has no Vezina performance years though. If Grubauer puts up another Vezina calibre year next year for Seattle, this trade will look real good for Seattle. But Kuemper is a solid goalie though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Good to see Sakic overpay for once. I don’t think he had a choice.
That's the thing - and I agree with this 100%. When you're ready to make the final push, who gives a f*** about what you pay in picks and prospects. Picks and prospects don't get their names engraved on Lord Stanley.

I still think it was a *curious* decision, and I don't necessarily love their offseason, but I don't think this changes their status as a legit Cup contender one bit.

Reactions: tucker3434

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My main concern for this move is what currency remains for the TDL. Due to the cap, that was always going to be when we needed to push the chips in. It was practically impossible to come out of this offseason with a roster as good as last season on paper. But if you're willing to throw your weight around at the TDL, it could be a better postseason roster. Without a 1st and Timmins, that's a lot more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad