Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Absolutely agree. Logical and common sense. The avs are still the favorite in the west.

I don’t see how
- lost their 2LW and 3RW
- lost their 4/5 dman in Graves, would be fine if he were upgraded
- question mark in net health wise
- 2RHD can be counted on for 3-4 games
- traded their 3RHD for a goalie
- have yet another season relying on Jost and Compher
- still relying on Kadri not to get suspended in the playoffs

not looking good

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I don’t see how
- lost their 2LW and 3RW
- lost their 4/5 dman in Graves, would be fine if he were upgraded
- question mark in net health wise
- 2RHD can be counted on for 3-4 games
- traded their 3RHD for a goalie
- have yet another season relying on Jost and Compher
- still relying on Kadri not to get suspended in the playoffs

not looking good
Easy . They are better in net and they now locked in thier top D long term on a good deal . As far as still being the best team in the west well Vegas done nothing to get better yet..losing MAF will hurt. Avs should walk away with this.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's horrible value and I agree he had a million options and waited far too long. There is still potential to salvage the trade if he re-signs Kuemper to a reasonable deal and utilize the extra cap space advantageously, the trade will sting a lot less.

I also think the 2022 draft is a overrated, and it doesn't matter as much when you're drafting in the late 20s. Even the best draft classes start to fall off significantly by then.

1. Kuemper is not bringing this Avs team to the promised land...So why would he be a target to resign for anything other than a backup (and he'd be an expensive one at that given their cap situation)?
  2. It's not about actually using any draft picks - It's about the 1st in a widely praised draft (regardless of how you feel) being an ASSET you can also use to trade. A 1st in 2022 could've been used to get another top-6 forward on a good contract for years....Or a better goalie earlier!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Avs easily win this trade if they extend Kuemper. He has been a legit top 3 goalie in the league for the last 3 years, while playing on a shit team. Kuemper will be an absolute monster on Colorado. The Avs traded away a 26-32 pick, and a 3rd pairing defenceman who is one hit away from retiring.

I know everyone is trying to make a huge deal about Sakic losing this trade, because he rarely loses trades…but he didn’t lose this one.

Grubauer at 5.9x6 is a boat anchor of a contract. I’ll take Kuemper/Francouz all day.

Let's pin this post and check back a year from now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
  1. Kuemper is not bringing this Avs team to the promised land...So why would he be a target to resign for anything other than a backup (and he'd be an expensive one at that given their cap situation)?
  2. It's not about actually using any draft picks - It's about the 1st in a widely praised draft (regardless of how you feel) being an ASSET you can also use to trade. A 1st in 2022 could've been used to get another top-6 forward on a good contract for years....Or a better goalie earlier!

Ah, so is it you just don't think Kuemper is a good enough goalie? I haven't watched him nearly enough to make a statement, but I will say that if the Avs won a cup with Grubuaer it wouldn't because he stood on his head - he would've just been good enough. He was a pretty calm and steady presence in net which is great, but he didn't have another level to his game and his glove hand gets exposed every time playoffs rolls around.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Fleury - free
Ned - a third
A guy who has played 200 games in 6 years - 1st, young NHLer and a 3rd.

Man inflation is crazy.

If I may...

• Fleury - free
  • Ned - a third
  • When you didn't plan properly for your goalie's contract demands, had no contingency plan, and you're backed into a corner - 1st, young NHLer and a 3rd.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Easy . They are better in net and they now locked in thier top D long term on a good deal . As far as still being the best team in the west well Vegas done nothing to get better yet..losing MAF will hurt. Avs should walk away with this.

Nah; after this series of moves, Vegas are clearly the better team now in the West.

Avs kept the core pieces, but lost a lot of depth everywhere. They should be a considerably easier opponent to play against. Having minor leaguers replacing Saad, Donskoi, Graves, and having lost their long term 2RD is really going to hurt in the coming year.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Timmins is a minor loss and the 1st will be late first round.

Kuemper is a wall which was traded for cheap to Arizona by LA.

I dont see much of a problem.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Sakic took an L here.

Tried to call Graubauer's bluff, he had all year to negotiate a new deal.

Keumper is a bit better than Graubauer but Darcy also has lingering injuries id be concerned with.

Sakic should have at least signed a Backup/Starter level goalie at the beginning of the day so that Arizona wouldnt have all the leverage on him when Graub left.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Did you just say 30 is closer to 75 than it is to 10?

It isn't numerically, but there's a very rapid decline between 10 and 30, and it slows between 30 and 75. Per this chart, the odds of a guy playing 100 or more games by pick position are roughly:

10: 70%
30: 50%
75: 30%

Source: NHL Draft Pick Probabilities

Probability-of-becoming-NHL-player-per-pick.png

Reactions: Richard88

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ah, so is it you just don't think Kuemper is a good enough goalie? I haven't watched him nearly enough to make a statement, but I will say that if the Avs won a cup with Grubuaer it wouldn't because he stood on his head - he would've just been good enough. He was a pretty calm and steady presence in net which is great, but he didn't have another level to his game and his glove hand gets exposed every time playoffs rolls around.

Can we be clear...?

I am not advocating FOR Grubauer (or against Keumper).

I'm advocating against this use of assets by Sakic who panicked when he didn't appropriately plan for the Avs 2022 goalie situation.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Avs actually have some space, I wonder why they didn't get Flower.

Would have been a massively better move across the board. Maybe they looked into it and he said he didn't want to come to Colorado, but if Sakic didn't look into it....

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can we be clear...?

I am not advocating FOR Grubauer (or against Keumper).

I'm advocating against this use of assets by Sakic who panicked when he didn't appropriately plan for the Avs 2022 goalie situation.

I agree the assets were poorly used and Sakic panicked/overpaid. But if you aren't arguing against Kuemper, then why make statements such as "Kuemper is not bringing this Avs team to the promised land...So why would he be a target to resign for anything other than a backup (and he'd be an expensive one at that given their cap situation)"

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
Trade could win them a cup. Could also get bumped out early again and who knows what Timmins and the 1st will turn into.

This is why you don't wait until the last minute when in negotiations with your goaltender. Cut bait earlier if he's asking for too much and move on.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If I may...

• Fleury - free @ $7m
  • Ned - a third Closer to Avs 2nd if he was even made available to a fellow contender by the Canes
  • When you didn't plan properly for your goalie's contract demands, had no contingency plan, and you're backed into a corner - Late 1st, young unproven he can be a full time NHLer and a 3rd if you win the cup and Kuemper is a significant contributor to that win.

All better now

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Trade could win them a cup. Could also get bumped out early again and who knows what Timmins and the 1st will turn into.

This is why you don't wait until the last minute when in negotiations with your goaltender. Cut bait earlier if he's asking for too much and move on.

Exactly.

Sackic messed up big time here. Kuemper is good, no doubt.

But now they basically have no assets to improve the team during the year. (Those were the primary pieces they would need to land a big fish at the TDL, now that's basically toast).

So they are going with basically the current lineup for better or worse, AFTER having lost important depth pieces all over the lineup.

Not a good off-season at all. Edmonton is defintely the biggest loser so far, but Col and a couple of other teams are not far behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad