Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Is there another Darcy Kuemper in the league that I didn't know about? How is that a return for him?

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
This is a joke right?
It would seem to be a joke if based on the Oilers and Sabres (Jury is out on New Jersey) history as they've hoarded #1 and #2 overall picks the last decade, while wasting careers of McDavid and Eichel. At least Tampa Bay has made use of their good fortune.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Not even close . The 3 biggest areas for key success in the playoffs is goaltending, defense and center depth. Colorado has Vegas beat on all 3 fronts . Losing flower will hurt Vegas and unless they address the center position Colorado has them beat. The other pieces are plug and play and the avs have the critical areas locked down.

For C, Colorado is stronger than Vegas ; but not exactly strong compared to most contenders, especially with Kadri taking himself out nearly every playoff season.

Vegas is definitely stronger and more balanced on D. Colorado has a lot of great offensive PMDs, but few that play well in their own end.

Kuemper is about as reliable as the weather forecast, when he is healthy, that is.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
There's the tricky part. Who's "they"? The 2 year old ownership group? The 1 year old GM? The completely cleared out front-office, business operations, scouting staff, and coaching staff? Christian Fischer is the longest tenured player on the team. Every fiber of the organization has been replaced in the last three years.

I've been watching every game since 1996 and I've never seen this club behave in this manner. It's all been about cost management previously. Even when they were taking on Pronger, Datsyuk, and Hossa there was no salary attached - only cap. This is different. They're taking on real dollars for assets. When John Chayka took over, he gave it ONE season before he started bleeding draft capital and young players (7th overall for Stepan and Murphy for Hjalmarsson), and he never let up (Domi, Strome, Duclair, etc.), culminating with the Taylor Hall debacle and the combine cheating fiasco. Even Maloney made zero rebuild trades in 2016 and did only the Yandle and Vermette deals in 2015. But followed that up by doing Korpikoski and Boedker for older pieces and getting no draft capital at all that year.
You forgot to mention that we don’t develop them at all. That’s our biggest issue. We never develop our prospects properly. Dvorak and Chychrun are pretty much the only players on the roster who fit that description. Keller looks to be underwhelming unfortunately.

Unless this guy has extreme recency bias and is referring to Garland and Hill?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I was a big fan of Timmins in the WJC, hopefully his concussion issues are over, he was looking like he was gonna be a solid top 4, maybe top 2 d man before.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
For C, Colorado is stronger than Vegas ; but not exactly strong compared to most contenders, especially with Kadri taking himself out nearly every playoff season.

Vegas is definitely stronger and more balanced on D. Colorado has a lot of great offensive PMDs, but few that play well in their own end.

Kuemper is about as reliable as the weather forecast, when he is healthy, that is.
You can't base that on what ifs like what if Kadri gets suspended....thats what a 8 year old does. Colorado has a better top line, better top 6 and more depth down the middle.
Colorado has the best individual D in makar. Colorado has the better all round 1 G in Darcy. Those are the strengths needed to win. To make this easy, the holes Colorado have are much easier to fill ove the course of the season than the holes Vegas has. Its really that simple.

Reactions: xAvsx89

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Define "great young team" and show me who those players are?
I think Arizona has only an average (maybe below average) prospect pool:

1. Guenther
2. Soderstrom
3. Hayton
4. Jenik
5. Timmins
6. Maccelli
7. Prosvetov
8. Kolyachonok
9. Doan
10.Fedotov

As for young roster players, Chychrun is the absolute truth. Keller just turned 23 and is still a coin toss. Dvorak and Schmaltz are already 25.

All-in-all it's pretty bleak.

Which is exactly why they're doing what they're doing. Not only was the roster garbage, but there was no hope for the future.

So they went out and also got these:

21 1st
21 2nd
22 1st
22 2nd
22 2nd
22 2nd
22 2nd
22 7th
23 3rd
23 7th
24 2nd
24 3rd
24 4th

^ they really had no other choice. It was the only option that even gives them a chance at success. Now they have to draft and develop well. Along with having some lottery luck. But it's going to be a very long road.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

And oh.... the NHL network and Scott Laughlin just somehow out of nowhere just agreed after yesterday Colorado is the favorite coming out of the west...hmmm crazy eh

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
This trade is nuts. What happened? Why didn't Sakic just sign Grubauer? Sure, 5.9/6 is a commitment, but like, what was the plan if Grubauer left? Seems like a massive blunder.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This trade is nuts. What happened? Why didn't Sakic just sign Grubauer? Sure, 5.9/6 is a commitment, but like, what was the plan if Grubauer left? Seems like a massive blunder.

Pride. Sakic didn't want to ante up for Grubauer after a long fight with Landeskog. Got left without a chair. Bill Armstrong isn't an easy mark.

Avs fans probably won't care once they see how good Kuemper is behind that D.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
You can't base that on what ifs like what if Kadri gets suspended....thats what a 8 year old does. Colorado has a better top line, better top 6 and more depth down the middle.
Colorado has the best individual D in makar. Colorado has the better all round 1 G in Darcy. Those are the strengths needed to win. To make this easy, the holes Colorado have are much easier to fill ove the course of the season than the holes Vegas has. Its really that simple.

So what, the suspensions didn't happen? And Darcy never gets injured?

Do you colorado boys live in a fantasy parallel world or something ?

Colorado has the better top line. Vegas clearly has more depth in top 6 and top 9, after you have lost Donskoi, Saad, Soderberg, etc.

Colorado has better set of PMDs, Vegas has more defensively responsible D-men that can key top opposition. Although both teams have strengths on D.

Goaltending is about a wash , if you don't look at injury histories.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Steep price.
Is this a flyers fan talking about paying a steep price? If the flyers had Kuemper last season they would have made the playoffs. I really liked Grubauer but he’s had a lot of injuries in his career and in the big games really haven’t shown he can get it done.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Is this a flyers fan talking about paying a steep price? If the flyers had Kuemper last season they would have made the playoffs. I really liked Grubauer but he’s had a lot of injuries in his career and in the big games really haven’t shown he can get it done.

AVs are among the best teams in the league in shot suppression and Grubs is still constantly injured. Kuempher is also frequently injured, but considering his shot numbers are likely double the average compared to the AVs.

Hate the overpayment, but Kuempher might help in getting past the 2nd round. Trade allows Sakic a year to solve future Goalie problems. I believe they're even stronger after this deal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Arizona has only an average (maybe below average) prospect pool:

1. Guenther
2. Soderstrom
3. Hayton
4. Jenik
5. Timmins
6. Maccelli
7. Prosvetov
8. Kolyachonok
9. Doan
10.Fedotov

As for young roster players, Chychrun is the absolute truth. Keller just turned 23 and is still a coin toss. Dvorak and Schmaltz are already 25.

All-in-all it's pretty bleak.

Which is exactly why they're doing what they're doing. Not only was the roster garbage, but there was no hope for the future.

So they went out and also got these:

21 1st
21 2nd
22 1st
22 2nd
22 2nd
22 2nd
22 2nd
22 7th
23 3rd
23 7th
24 2nd
24 3rd
24 4th

^ they really had no other choice. It was the only option that even gives them a chance at success. Now they have to draft and develop well. Along with having some lottery luck. But it's going to be a very long road.
I personally think Arizona has CRUSHED this offseason. This is how you rebuild. Now you have to hit on some of those picks and develop prospects properly but if you even hit on 3/4 of those 13 draft picks just acquired, not even their own picks, they're going to be a good team.

But from what that poster said, Arizona as presently constructed is just awful. Chychrun is absolutely the real deal. I have my doubts about Clayton Keller being anything more than a soft, ~50 point perimeter winger. Christian Dvorak is a centre that all rebuilding teams have to eat up minutes but he's really nothing more than a 3rd line centre. Schmaltz has his own injury concerns every year.

IMO best thing Arizona can do is continue on this trajectory by trading Kessel, Dvorak and Schmaltz. You can keep Keller and you damn well should build the D around Chychrun, but everything else can go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad