Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The problem is it's ok to learn from your mistakes while your team is young/rebuilding - Not when it's a contender.

As said before...The Avs aren't winning a Cup with this current lineup and Kuemper, but now they don't have the assets from the 2022 draft to improve the goaltending situation further.

And with a handful of UFA's coming up in the next 1-2 years and their depth already tested with their shrinking cap space, I don't know how the Avs correct course. I guess they'll have to throw bad money after bad and trade their 2023 1st to get a real goalie later this season or for next.

Just a crap situation to be in right now for a team that needed to IMPROVE this offseason - Not stay the same (or maybe get worse). For a few years they were ahead of the curve. This offseason has changed things and now they're chasing it.

AVs finished with the best record in the league, top 5 offence/defence, top 10 farm, youngest top 30 roster and more cap space than last season. Next draft they’ve moved the 1st & 2nd and traded surplus RFA - Timmins.

It’s not all doom and gloom with only Mack being the biggest deal remaining. I hate this overpayment. Sakic had badly lost this trade, they have next season to add Goalies. Long term they’re still positioned among the best teams in the league.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
doesn't Timmins have a really bad concussion history. like missed a whole year or more because of concussions?

sounds like he could be one tough hit away from retirement at such a young age.

I guess Arizona felt that he was a risk and wanted a bit more to make the deal worthwhile. can't blame them for that.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Avs had no choice but to make a move. Personally, I would have tried to get Vanececk instead.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
AVs finished with the best record in the league, top 5 offence/defence, top 10 farm, youngest top 30 roster and more cap space than last season. Next draft they’ve moved the 1st & 2nd and traded surplus RFA - Timmins.

It’s not all doom and gloom with only Mack being the biggest deal remaining. I hate this overpayment. Sakic had badly lost this trade, they have next season to add Goalies. Long term they’re still positioned among the best teams in the league.

They're in a good position now, but the cap is going to tighten with not just MacKinnon, but other UFAs that need to be signed or replaced. Sure MacK, Rantonen, Landeskog, and Makar are going to keep you competitive at least, but remains to be seen if Sakic can get them over the hump while swimming upstream.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Pretty much any goalie transaction that happened would've been better than a 1st/Timmons for Kuemper...

• Signing Grubauer for the deal he got would've been better.
  • Trading a 3rd for Nedeljkovic would've been better.
  • Just taking on Fluery's contract (if he would play for you)
  • ...Or trade for Lehner
  • Halak/Mrazek as a free place holder until something else opens up
  • Freddie Andersen
  • Call Florida before the expansion draft and make a deal for Driedger

I mean it's almost like Sakic zigged 10 times in a row when all he had to do was zag just once. He's done so much right over the past 5 years, but this is just horrible GMing. Like Peter Chiarelli level.

It's horrible value and I agree he had a million options and waited far too long. There is still potential to salvage the trade if he re-signs Kuemper to a reasonable deal and utilize the extra cap space advantageously, the trade will sting a lot less.

I also think the 2022 draft is a overrated, and it doesn't matter as much when you're drafting in the late 20s. Even the best draft classes start to fall off significantly by then.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Colorado's Defense is better than Seattle's?Sure if you say so

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Avs easily win this trade if they extend Kuemper. He has been a legit top 3 goalie in the league for the last 3 years, while playing on a shit team. Kuemper will be an absolute monster on Colorado. The Avs traded away a 26-32 pick, and a 3rd pairing defenceman who is one hit away from retiring.

I know everyone is trying to make a huge deal about Sakic losing this trade, because he rarely loses trades…but he didn’t lose this one.

Grubauer at 5.9x6 is a boat anchor of a contract. I’ll take Kuemper/Francouz all day.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
The only redeeming factor here and the ONLY reason I can think of for such a huge overpayment is the cap savings.

Kuemper's cap hit with the retention is ~2.4 million cheaper than Grubauers would have been. I doubt there's another goalie with Kuemper's skill available at 3.5 million.

It still feels bad to pay this much for one year of a goalie, and I still don't like the trade, but if Kuemper can stay healthy, play at a similar level to what Grub would have done, and Joe can pull a rabbit out of his hat with that extra cap space and sign someone impactful, then maybe this trade looks ok later. But that's a lot of ifs.

Last edited:

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Why did Grubauer leave? He is one of the best in the league and has a calming presence minus his one bad playoff game this year.

deejayes

Aug 24, 2020
Why on Earth would Sakic not match Seattle on that offer instead of this? WHY? Someone please explain?
$2.5 million in salary differential is massive when you are up against the cap($3.5 for Kuemper compared to $6 for Grubauer). There was a ton of value to the Avs in getting a cheaper goalie, in order to fill other holes on the team (2nd line left wing is a glaring hole right now). The Avs should be a better team this year with Kuemper @$3.5m and allocating that remaining cap room to holes, than if they signed the Grubauer deal.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
There is no other way to say it: Sakic lost this one....and he lost "bad".....We better hope Kuemper stays healthy. Beside Landeskog and Makar, this has been a very poor FA from Sakic so far.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
That package could have gotten them John Gibson. Would be shocked if the Ducks refused that offer.

Gotta think cap is the reason here. Gibson would have been better, and a long term solution, but his cap hit would have been almost 3 million more.

I guess Sakic decided that the extra 3 million to work with this year was more valuable than Gibson's added performance and the value of him being signed for so much longer (assuming that offer would have even gotten Gibson).

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I at least get the logic.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Gotta think cap is the reason here. Gibson would have been better, and a long term solution, but his cap hit would have been almost 3 million more.

I guess Sakic decided that the extra 3 million to work with this year was more valuable than Gibson's added performance and the value of him being signed for so much longer (assuming that offer would have even gotten Gibson).

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I at least get the logic.

I agree. I think Colorado is using the money saved to upgrade the #2C. Bye bye Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad