Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
The Avs have 0 realistic longterm prospects (no I don't believe in Annunen) in their pipeline that can fill the #1 goalie spot in the longterm. Kuemper is on a 1 year deal and he probably will ask for a longterm contract after this one and it probably won't be much cheaper than Grubauers. Especially if he has a good season behind that rather stacked Avs D (even though our bottom pairing looks a bit rought right now).

The Avs really can't afford to let him walk and give up a ton for another short term goalie after just getting robbed blind for Kuemper. Odds are that Sakic will be roughly in the same spot a year from now but he won't have as many assets to throw away as he did this time around if he doesn't like Kuempers price tag. If he doesn't have a cup to his name by then, this will look really, really, really rough.

Macs contract really doesn't matter anyways in that discussion. Byrams or Newhooks might. Mac doesn't. EJs bad 2x6m contract is already a placeholder for Macs raise.

Yes he might be in the same position again next summer. But he might be in that position as a cup champion - he’s taking it one year at a time, which to me is really smart. On the other hand if he had given Grubauer his term and then the groin problems that he previously suffered from reoccurred that contract could have been a big cap problem going forward.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I feel the opposite of most in here.

1st rd pick is probably 30th overall and Timmins hasn't really shown he'll be a sure fire NHL'er.

Colorado gets a good starting goaltender - an issue that had to be resolved heading in to next season.

I don't know I just find hf over-rates prospects and picks so hard over good NHL players. Like I totally understand Armstrong's vision here it's a great move for Zona too just not seeing how Colorado lost bad here. I even saw a poster mutter 'Armstrong is the best GM in the league'.

Still rating Sakic right near the top.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yes he might be in the same position again next summer. But he might be in that position as a cup champion - he’s taking it one year at a time, which to me is really smart. On the other hand if he had given Grubauer his term and then the groin problems that he previously suffered from reoccurred that contract could have been a big cap problem going forward.

Kuemper has a way more extensive injury history than Grubauer for once. And then again I don't necessarily disagree that going short term with your goalies is the right play. But its clearly not the right play if it costs you a 1st + Timmins for 1 year of a really good (but injury prone) goalie that you probably don't want to pay either when you could just have given your somewhat proven starter 500k extra over 6 years and be done with it. You will have to get a top end goalie next year as well and you can't afford to make a deal like this again a year from now. So why not go longterm with the guy you had in the first place and keep all your assets?

And I am not a huge Grubauer fan and believe that Kuemper is a better goalie than him. But I also don't think the Avs are very likely to win a cup next season (no team is and if you are picking favorites, its always Tampa) so making this trade just is a very bad move by a GM having a horrible offseason so far. Re-Signing Landy has been his best move and that contract will be rather ugly a few years down the road and probably should have been signed a longtime ago if he was willing to pay him that much anyways in the end.

Winning a cup makes every horrible move worth it. But odds are the Avs won't (and the Grubauer/Kuemper exchange is only marginally positive in regard to their chances) and this will look really ugly a year from now.

He better get Kuemper signed to a very reasonable extension in the near future after this ( even though I don't think Darcy would agree to it)..

Last edited:
Reactions: thrillhous

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
You seem happier with an older more injury prone goalie. A goalie that has proven to be elite but can’t finish a season. You had a goalie that was in the vezina race and was easily discarded. Not quite adding up for me. Sakic 100 percent low balled him, look what he did to Landy. Team morale must suck and I enjoy the AVS. But they are clearly worst today then yesterday and that’s not a good trend for a potential cup
Winner

Sign him to a perfectly fair and reasonable offer?

How is the team morale so low? They are comparable goaltenders, players move around all the damn time.

Nothing you are saying adds up in any way.

- They didn't easily discard Gru, they went hard for him and both parties were hopeful up until he was signed by Seattle.
- They are comparable goalies so If Grubaur can get Vesina consideration, theres every chance Kumper has the opportunity to so next year.

Every point you make about this trade is litterally incorrect and/or assumptions on your part.

You are correct they are weaker now than in the playoffs, as was seen coming by the majority of realistic hockey fans. Good talent requires payment and they had to many due at the same time to re-sign them all. Such is the flat cap world.

sal00

Jul 5, 2011
Well clearly the biggest winner here is Kuemper. Get to go from a tanking team to a sure contender on a contract year with the D depth that Grubauer had last season. Guy's gonna get paid next season.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Great trade for both teams. Kuemper could be the piece needed to put Colorado over the top. When you're a great contending team and make moves in the offseason you're often times looked at as the loser of the trade value wise.

Reactions: Aeros026

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Sign him to a perfectly fair and reasonable offer?

How is the team morale so low? They are comparable goaltenders, players move around all the damn time.

Nothing you are saying adds up in any way.

- They didn't easily discard Gru, they went hard for him and both parties were hopeful up until he was signed by Seattle.
- They are comparable goalies so If Grubaur can get Vesina consideration, theres every chance Kumper has the opportunity to so next year.

Every point you make about this trade is litterally incorrect and/or assumptions on your part.

You are correct they are weaker now than in the playoffs, as was seen coming by the majority of realistic hockey fans. Good talent requires payment and they had to many due at the same time to re-sign them all. Such is the flat cap world.

I do quite like the Avalanche, and I will have to go over to their board to see what the fans think/feel. I think that they should
Have been happy with Gru and paid. I could be wrong. I just feel like they are a weaker team today. Tampa and Vasi -kuch would tell you the best goalie in the world. That’s
What avalanche players need to feel

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Can't wait to watch Arizona vs. Buffalo this year.

6-on-6 for 60 minutes. Gonna be 132-118.
Too bad they aren't in the same division, or this could have worked out really well for both teams.

Go with your game-plan for several games, and both teams probably have a couple of 100 goal scorers.

Just think of the return they could get for each at the deadline....

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I do quite like the Avalanche, and I will have to go over to their board to see what the fans think/feel. I think that they should
Have been happy with Gru and paid. I could be wrong. I just feel like they are a weaker team today. Tampa and Vasi -kuch would tell you the best goalie in the world. That’s
What avalanche players need to feel
Fans are freaking out, but not because of aquiring Kuemper. The cost of Timmins is what is setting them off.

Reactions: spot

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Keumper is worth it and I think this is a smart and necessary trade for them

That's the thing, was it necessary? He is not an obvious upgrade on Grubauer and now we paid heavy price for him. Nah. Doesn't feel like we should have done this. Keep Gru is much better deal.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Fans are freaking out, but not because of aquiring Kuemper. The cost of Timmins is what is setting them off.

Really? I honestly would give up so much for Philipp Grubauer. Timmins is an over riped prospect

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If you were going to pay that much I would have ponied up a little more for Gibson. Kuemper has started 40+ games once in his career.
Exactly the 2 thoughts I had. Why not push for Gibson and why pay a premium for a goalie that has played 40 games once?

Hes very good but it seems like Sakic panicked with goalies being picked up quick and the threat of Holland offering something ridiclous while he is left without one of the goalies he wanted.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Really? I honestly would give up so much for Philipp Grubauer. Timmins is an over riped prospect
He's a quality prospect IMO, overrated by Avs fans though. I think they wouldn't be freaking out so much if it was either the first or Timmins but here we are.

Sakic indeed overpayed, I have no doubt but he's the best quality goaltender that was available outside of possibly Gibson if those rumors are true.

To me, this trade will be judged by his ability to stay healthy and what they do with their newfound cap space.

I think if they would have went bargain bin shopping for a goalie then THAT would have pissed off Mackinnon (especially) and others on the team. Their window is now if ever, Sakic lost the holdout battle with Grubaur and had to get a viable option for a "contending" team.

Reactions: Mac Attack and spot

spot

Aug 26, 2007
He's a quality prospect IMO, overrated by Avs fans though. I think they wouldn't be freaking out so much if it was either the first or Timmins but here we are.

Sakic indeed overpayed, I have no doubt but he's the best quality goaltender that was available outside of possibly Gibson if those rumors are true.

To me, this trade will be judged by his ability to stay healthy and what they do with their newfound cap space.

I think if they would have went bargain bin shopping for a goalie then THAT would have pissed off Mackinnon (especially) and others on the team. Their window is now if ever, Sakic lost the holdout battle with Grubaur and had to get a viable option for a "contending" team.

you said it best…. “Lost the holdout” I get the business thank you.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Timmins has a lot to go to be an impact player relative to his skills, he reminded me of a young Nurse... he has overpaid contract based on raw talent along written all over him

and a first is crapshoot we SHOULD know this by now... a gm with balls to make a move is what you want when you're going for a cup (especially one that has done it on the ice)..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad