Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
“Just fine” isn’t good enough. I had the Avalanche as a top 3 favourite for the cup, but after today’s moves and how Sakic handled the Landy contract along with most likely loosing Saad. They dropped a few spots
Please explain how specifically he should have gone about this off-season instead.

Reactions: spot

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
“Just fine” isn’t good enough. I had the Avalanche as a top 3 favourite for the cup, but after today’s moves and how Sakic handled the Landy contract along with most likely loosing Saad. They dropped a few spots

How Sakic handled the Landy contact has very little to do with this season. Even in the most unbelievable best case scenario, he’d never be much less than$7aav next year.

Saad was gone no matter what. That we saved $2.5m in cap at G gives us the slightest bit of hope we might get him back. So, if anything, today’s moves made it more likely he’s back.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
christ almighty thats a big return

i do think kuemper is actually worth close to that, but shocked his value truly was that high

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Please explain how specifically he should have gone about this off-season instead.

Signing the Vezina candidate runner up to a contract without losing a 1st and Timmons. Showing that this is our team and maintaining morale.

Im not even mad about how they treated their captain. I get negotiations but did you see sakics low hall offer that he made? I get that a GM’s job is to negotiate and get a good deal, but the AVS are so close to being cup champions. Why wouldn’t you want to foster that and Create solidarity. Joes ego has been on full display IMO

Reactions: hockeyarena

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Wow ARZ loading on up picks, with the selloff! COL overpays, when they could have gotten Ned from CAR for a 3rd, or sign one of the plethora of Goalies out there.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
How Sakic handled the Landy contact has very little to do with this season. Even in the most unbelievable best case scenario, he’d never be much less than$7aav next year.

Saad was gone no matter what. That we saved $2.5m in cap at G gives us the slightest bit of hope we might get him back. So, if anything, today’s moves made it more likely he’s back.

Saving 2.5 in goal, sacrifices a vezina vote. How many teams might become contenders with a vezina nomination? Come on….Sakic dropped the ball on Gru and paid a huge price. That 1st at the TDD hypothetically could have filled the final need for a cup.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Wow ARZ loading on up picks, with the selloff! COL overpays, when they could have gotten Ned from CAR for a 3rd, or sign one of the plethora of Goalies out there.

Odds are they also could have gotten Kuemper a lot cheaper before the expansion draft when the Yotes had to make a choice between protecting him and Hill and the Avs protected their UFA goalie who decided to sign with the Kraken anyways....

Sakic misplayed this horribly from start to finish. It is what it is. Maybe we get lucky and Kuemper is the missing piece to win the cup. Otherwise odds are this will sting for quite some time.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Hard to figure out the AVS right now. They seem to be trying to clear some cap space to build a team that is playoff tough and not simply regular season pretty, but in the process they are losing some good players and the options for replacing them are sparse. They could very easily come out of this trade season weaker than they went in.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Signing the Vezina candidate runner up to a contract without losing a 1st and Timmons. Showing that this is our team and maintaining morale.

Im not even mad about how they treated their captain. I get negotiations but did you see sakics low hall offer that he made? I get that a GM’s job is to negotiate and get a good deal, but the AVS are so close to being cup champions. Why wouldn’t you want to foster that and Create solidarity. Joes ego has been on full display IMO
He wasn’t going to commit to both Landeskog and Grubauer for long-term contracts. It would have put them in a big bind with Mack needing a new contract soon. I think he did well to lock his captain up for a more reasonable amount on a long-term deal and then take the risk that Grubauer would insist on a long-term deal and get that elsewhere. And when that proved to be the case he went out and got a very good goalie that gives them a realistic chance to compete for the cup while not committing to a big long contract for a goalie, and he didn’t even give up his best prospect to do it. It could have gone better but for free agency deals it takes two to tango.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
OOf. Arizona has no players to play next year, and a whole bunch of draft picks, which are never a guarantee, and at best would not be ready for at least a couple of years. What the f*** is Arizona doing? Does their general manager think that they are playing a video game?

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Saving 2.5 in goal, sacrifices a vezina vote. How many teams might become contenders with a vezina nomination? Come on….Sakic dropped the ball on Gru and paid a huge price. That 1st at the TDD hypothetically could have filled the final need for a cup.

:laugh: Ah hypotheticals, I can play that game too! Hypothetically we just traded for the Goalie that will lead us to the holy grail!!!

The Avs lost out on Grubaur. We don't know if that's because Sakic lowballed him, general consensus is that they offered in that ballpark and he took a little more from Seattle...

We DO know that they are tight to the cap and need flexablity to round out their roster. We DO know that defense is their position of strength so they used that to get a goalie in the same realm of capabilities at almost half the cost.

Sakic overpayed... marginally. As every other GM has done in the past and will do again.

Also your comment on Sakic's ego is priceless!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He wasn’t going to commit to both Landeskog and Grubauer for long-term contracts. It would have put them in a big bind with Mack needing a new contract soon. I think he did well to lock his captain up for a more reasonable amount on a long-term deal and then take the risk that Grubauer would insist on a long-term deal and get that elsewhere. And when that proved to be the case he went out and got a very good goalie that gives them a realistic chance to compete for the cup while not committing to a big long contract for a goalie, and he didn’t even give up his best prospect to do it. It could have gone better but for free agency deals it takes two to tango.

The Avs have 0 realistic longterm prospects (no I don't believe in Annunen) in their pipeline that can fill the #1 goalie spot in the longterm. Kuemper is on a 1 year deal and he probably will ask for a longterm contract after this one and it probably won't be much cheaper than Grubauers. Especially if he has a good season behind that rather stacked Avs D (even though our bottom pairing looks a bit rought right now).

The Avs really can't afford to let him walk and give up a ton for another short term goalie after just getting robbed blind for Kuemper. Odds are that Sakic will be roughly in the same spot a year from now but he won't have as many assets to throw away as he did this time around if he doesn't like Kuempers price tag. If he doesn't have a cup to his name by then, this will look really, really, really rough.

Macs contract really doesn't matter anyways in that discussion. Byrams or Newhooks might. Mac doesn't. EJs bad 2x6m contract is already a placeholder for Macs raise.

Headcrush19

Jul 2, 2021
OOf. Arizona has no players to play next year, and a whole bunch of draft picks, which are never a guarantee, and at best would not be ready for at least a couple of years. What the f*** is Arizona doing? Does their general manager think that they are playing a video game?
Your wrong about having no players to play.We still have our core forwards and newly formed defense.Just need another goalie incoming.Your rights about all the Armstrong robbery of draft picks!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They've been going all in for years. Its led them to mediocrity and ruin. They need to re set with youth

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The Avs have 0 realistic longterm prospects (no I don't believe in Annunen) in their pipeline that can fill the #1 goalie spot in the longterm. Kuemper is on a 1 year deal and he probably will ask for a longterm contract after this one and it probably won't be much cheaper than Grubauers. Especially if he has a good season behind that rather stacked Avs D (even though our bottom pairing looks a bit rought right now).

The Avs really can't afford to let him walk and give up a ton for another short term goalie after just getting robbed blind for Kuemper. Odds are that Sakic will be roughly in the same spot a year from now but he won't have as many assets to throw away as he did this time around if he doesn't like Kuempers price tag. If he doesn't have a cup to his name by then, this will look really, really, really rough.

Macs contract really doesn't matter anyways in that discussion. Byrams or Newhooks might. Mac doesn't. EJs bad 2x6m contract is already a placeholder for Macs raise.

Sakic completed misplayed the situation. Missing the many UFAs and that could have offered a starters role, but opportunities on fallers in the draft Cossa/Wallstadt o draft a smallish DMan and 2X Overager.

This was a mind blowing screwup and likely the worst trade this season.

Reactions: JoemAvs

spot

Aug 26, 2007
:laugh: Ah hypotheticals, I can play that game too! Hypothetically we just traded for the Goalie that will lead us to the holy grail!!!

The Avs lost out on Grubaur. We don't know if that's because Sakic lowballed him, general consensus is that they offered in that ballpark and he took a little more from Seattle...

We DO know that they are tight to the cap and need flexablity to round out their roster. We DO know that defense is their position of strength so they used that to get a goalie in the same realm of capabilities at almost half the cost.

Sakic overpayed... marginally. As every other GM has done in the past and will do again.

Also your comment on Sakic's ego is priceless!

You seem happier with an older more injury prone goalie. A goalie that has proven to be elite but can’t finish a season. You had a goalie that was in the vezina race and was easily discarded. Not quite adding up for me. Sakic 100 percent low balled him, look what he did to Landy. Team morale must suck and I enjoy the AVS. But they are clearly worse today then yesterday and that’s not a good trend for a potential cup
Winner

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad