Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Haven't we learned by now that cap space is literally the most important in the NHL today? Colorado gets their starter at 3.5M instead of 5.9M. Instead of having 6M had they re-signed Grubauer now they have 8.5M to sign someone.

For a year, then he likely costs 6M to re-sign himself if he has a good season

I guess i can reserve judgement to see who they use that extra cap space on, but Joe has work to do

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He’s better than Gru (marginally). He was phenomenal against us two years ago in the playoffs. I don’t mind that trade off, just don’t like the trade. I assume an extension will be wrapped up in the next month or so. You don’t pay that much in assets for just one year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
For a year, then he likely costs 6M to re-sign himself if he has a good season

I guess i can reserve judgement to see who they use that extra cap space on, but Joe has work to do
If Kuemper cost 6M to re-sign then he basically had a Vezina caliber year and the Avs should be happy with that.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I hate this deal. Not because of Kuemper but because there is no reason we should have had to pay that much for him for 1 yr.

I would have rather given a final offer to Gru and when he didnt take it by the start of today sign a FA like Raanta or even Holtby who I have no confidence in. Even trade for Ned. Roll with that and Francouz and the extra cap space for Saad or whoever, and if it doesnt work out make a deal for Kuemper or someone else at the TDL. There was no reason to do this now for this price.

Also, we could have opened up cap space by moving EJ or Compher.. this is just like the worst we could have done.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Because he gambled with no backup plan and lost hard. Really hard. Like harder than any GM has lost in a long time.

Huge Yikes.
The thing is that his plan B and C likely already signed before is plan A (Grubauer) made his choice which is what screw him over the most.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Numbers near identical to Kuemper and they are the same age. One would cost nothing, one cost basically two low 1st rounders.
Kuemper had down year, but in what world is .907 sv% 2.56 gaa near identical to .889sv% 3.67 gaa.

And holtby was 3.11 gaa .897sv% year before.

Career stats don't matter at this point, holtby has clearly hit his career decline and isn't that same goalie anymore.

Last edited:

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Does everyone seem to forget that they were able to keep Landeskog after an arduous negotiation? That’s the main reason they had to play harder ball with Grubauer. I think Sakic’s off-season has been just fine all things considered and given the way things played out over time.

“Just fine” isn’t good enough. I had the Avalanche as a top 3 favourite for the cup, but after today’s moves and how Sakic handled the Landy contract along with most likely loosing Saad. They dropped a few spots

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Colorado is slightly better today then they were a month ago. That's the price you pay to be a true contender .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad