Confirmed Trade: [COL/ARI] Darcy Kuemper ($1M ret.) for Connor Timmins, '22 1st, and '24 cond. 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And Sakic finally dropped the ball.

After years of getting almost everything right, Sakic neglected to prepare for the Avs goalie situation for 21-22, and as a result backed into a corner made a desperation deal that could cost the Avs both now and in the future.

Just wow...A 1st in the best draft in years for ONE (1) year of Kuemper!? Getting rid of that 1st eliminates so many moves because they also don't have a 2nd or 4th next year.

The Avs ain't winning a Cup with Kuemper. They're bringing back basically the same team that got handled by Vegas. The Avs should've traded a 3rd for a 1B type of guy or just waited until another opportunity opened up closer to the start of the season (or during it).

There's no way to slice it...This is brutal. Not just the trade itself, but the ripple effect it will have for the Avs for a while.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i think kuemper could push them over the top if he is healthy . the key is having the backup play a lot so he is healthy come playoff time . ie. see montreal price allen for reference

Reactions: Devonator

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

After years of getting almost everything right, Sakic neglected to prepare for the Avs goalie situation for 21-22, and as a result backed into a corner made a desperation deal that could cost the Avs both now and in the future.

Just wow...A 1st in the best draft in years for ONE (1) year of Kuemper!? Getting rid of that 1st eliminates so many moves because they also don't have a 2nd or 4th next year.

The Avs ain't winning a Cup with Kuemper. They're bringing back basically the same team that got handled by Vegas. The Avs should've traded a 3rd for a 1B type of guy or just waited until another opportunity opened up closer to the start of the season (or during it).

There's no way to slice it...This is brutal. Not just the trade itself, but the ripple effect it will have for the Avs for a while.

I agree this one really stings.

Sakic known for patience completely blew this one. Wouldn’t be surprised on trying to add Goalies into the system similar to early trades as GM overpaying for DMen.

He does learn from his mistakes and confident on better deals.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I feel like this would’ve been a solid base for Gibson but only got Kuemper...

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm going to give Arizona a huge amount of credit for the moves they've made over the last couple weeks. They went in with a reasonably young team, that had some bad/questionable contracts, and who were short on futures because of the scouting scandal.

This year is going to be a writeoff for them, but they're going to be in a really strong position a year from now with a plethora of futures available to rebuild their team once all these deals expire.

After this year, it's Keller, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Crouse (RFA), Fisher (RFA), Chychrun, Ghost (1 year), Ladd (1 year) and $1m of OEL. That's a really good foundation to build from, especially with 7 picks in the first 2 rounds.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
LMAO thats a crazy payment for a mediocre goaltender.

Colorado, your window is closing faster than expected.

Reactions: kp61c

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Timmins has a lot to go to be an impact player relative to his skills, he reminded me of a young Nurse... he has overpaid contract based on raw talent along written all over him

and a first is crapshoot we SHOULD know this by now... a gm with balls to make a move is what you want when you're going for a cup (especially one that has done it on the ice)..
He will likely never reach the status that Nurse currently holds. He doesn't possess that kind of raw skill and his skating is a definite liability. If I had to guess he tops out as a quality #4 who can play pp2. I don't think he's a likely candidate for a large overpay and certainly not any time soon IMO. But you never know with these GM's.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

interesting take on it - how do you feel the Avs would have done against montreal?

also, what were the other options out there for what it's worth, i'd be interested in two other options that would have been preferred over trading for kuemper

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He will likely never reach the status that Nurse currently holds. He doesn't possess that kind of raw skill and his skating is a definite liability. If I had to guess he tops out as a quality #4 who can play pp2. I don't think he's a likely candidate for a large overpay and certainly not any time soon IMO. But you never know with these GM's.

i don't particularly hold Nurse very high but he puts up the right numbers/plays a certain way and got rewarded for it and will get rewarded more for it with his next deal. i don't think timmins becomes a 7/8 million dollar player but i see him as being able to sneak a 4-5 million dollar contract on some decent stats/progression and his talent which admittedly is too much

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Avs would have been better off going after Bishop in dallas. certainly would not have cost as much and hes gonna bounce back.

this move is nowhere near even a upgrade and they gave up assets and a 1st round pick for 1 year of a mediocre goaltender who then becomes a UFA

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I agree this one really stings.

Sakic known for patience completely blew this one. Wouldn’t be surprised on trying to add Goalies into the system similar to early trades as GM overpaying for DMen.

He does learn from his mistakes and confident on better deals.

The problem is it's ok to learn from your mistakes while your team is young/rebuilding - Not when it's a contender.

As said before...The Avs aren't winning a Cup with this current lineup and Kuemper, but now they don't have the assets from the 2022 draft to improve the goaltending situation further.

And with a handful of UFA's coming up in the next 1-2 years and their depth already tested with their shrinking cap space, I don't know how the Avs correct course. I guess they'll have to throw bad money after bad and trade their 2023 1st to get a real goalie later this season or for next.

Just a crap situation to be in right now for a team that needed to IMPROVE this offseason - Not stay the same (or maybe get worse). For a few years they were ahead of the curve. This offseason has changed things and now they're chasing it.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
That's the thing, was it necessary? He is not an obvious upgrade on Grubauer and now we paid heavy price for him. Nah. Doesn't feel like we should have done this. Keep Gru is much better deal.
I meant necessary in the context of
grubaur being gone. At that point you still need to plug a starter in or waste a season of compete with play.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
interesting take on it - how do you feel the Avs would have done against montreal?

also, what were the other options out there for what it's worth, i'd be interested in two other options that would have been preferred over trading for kuemper

Pretty much any goalie transaction that happened would've been better than a 1st/Timmons for Kuemper...

• Signing Grubauer for the deal he got would've been better.
  • Trading a 3rd for Nedeljkovic would've been better.
  • Just taking on Fluery's contract (if he would play for you)
  • ...Or trade for Lehner
  • Halak/Mrazek as a free place holder until something else opens up
  • Freddie Andersen
  • Call Florida before the expansion draft and make a deal for Driedger

I mean it's almost like Sakic zigged 10 times in a row when all he had to do was zag just once. He's done so much right over the past 5 years, but this is just horrible GMing. Like Peter Chiarelli level.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is the fourth time I've written one phrase "Great job by Bill Armstrong". :thumbu:

Given where they are and what they need to do, not sure the Coyotes could've had a better offseason. Also the moves they made have improved their chances of getting #1 overall in 2022 which will be a stellar pick.

Reactions: Coyotes19c

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
This thread is not going to age well when Kuemper gets nominated for the Vezina playing behind that Colorado defense and Grubauer gets lit up playing behind that dumpstar fire in Seattle.

Reactions: xAvsx89 and LOFIN

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
This thread is not going to age well when Kuemper gets nominated for the Vezina playing behind that Colorado defense and Grubauer gets lit up playing behind that dumpstar fire in Seattle.
Colorado's Defense is better than Seattle's?Sure if you say so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad