Confirmed with Link: Coach Pete DeBoer Is Fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
In hindsight, I wonder if Pete knew he was fired before the Carolina game...Lou made some comments last week that indicated change and Pete himself said something about a lot of things going on.
I think Pete knew for a while?

He's looked like a dead man walking for weeks now. He might have known there was a meeting with ownership about the team's situation.

Based on that, it shows ownership is wondering about the state of the team on the ice and how to move forward.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Absolutely. You exemplify how a huge chunk of the fanbase is emotionally paralyzed by the worship that's been afforded to Lou. How do you even justify keeping Lou at his age? Now is the time to make the move with a rebuild needed.

I mean come on Cowbell. The guy needs to step down. He's approaching Bill Torrey territory. If you have some legitimate arguments as to why Lou needs to be kept, by all means share, because I never hear any reasonable justification on here for it aside from the whole 3 cups nonsense and how we should allow Lou to decide when he leaves, which is the antithesis of what should be done.

If Lou was ever held to his own standards that he holds everyone else to, he would have been fired. He needs to step down this offseason.

If you think Lou should have been fired with PDB you are not looking at the big picture objectively. I do not need to justify why he should stay, because you couldn't justify, to me at least, why he needs to be fired.

PDB is not the sole problem, and I will acknowledge that, but to blame everything on Lou is a little bit of a stretch too.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Like others have said hopefully this is step 1 in a larger plan for the long term future and stability of this team.

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I hope an interim coach comes in, players are evaluated, UFA's that can be traded are in fact traded for picks, and that we draft well in June. From there hire a coach who can bring along young players, don't try and but a band-aid on a bullet wound with long term contracts for bad free agents, and let's get back to the playoffs in the next few years

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
He'll land a job sooner rather than later. But he simply didn't fit our team anymore, and with the up and coming rebuild he's not the man for the job here. Given the right pieces he can be successful, like we saw. We don't have those pieces anymore and his methods aren't effective with our current players.

With our current players, who's system is going to work?

the lineup stinks.

LOU MUST GO!!!!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
5 minutes to USA v. Finland...let's watch Miles Wood and be happy for now.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
In hindsight, I wonder if Pete knew he was fired before the Carolina game...Lou made some comments last week that indicated change and Pete himself said something about a lot of things going on.

Same thing crossed my mind before. I almost get the feeling that this was announced today, but didn't necessarily happen today.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
If you think Lou should have been fired with PDB you are not looking at the big picture objectively. I do not need to justify why he should stay, because you couldn't justify, to me at least, why he needs to be fired.

PDB is not the sole problem, and I will acknowledge that, but to blame everything on Lou is a little bit of a stretch too.

No it isn't.

LOU MUST GO!!!!

engy

Mar 12, 2012
With the Devils, I don't really trust any supposed leaks or rumors.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

What is the big picture objectively? Isn't it to win?

Lou deserves to be fired for being accountable for the decay of the overall roster and poor results. He's said it himself that's how he judges his teams, his players, his coaches. And don't discount the fact that he's getting old.

The drafting has only recently improved and only in one area (and not dramatically either might I add, a few D prospects here or there but let's not act like we have Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey back there even now).

Our forwards situation has become the laughingstock of the league and most of our prospects are either far away or floundering currently in the "A". We have a roster that cannot play to the style the NHL is played at nor compete to how the points system is structured (hello a gazilliion shootout losses in a row!)

Where do we hold a GM accountable? When? I'm all ears. All ears. Send me a PM with a nice eloquent reasoning if you don't want to go into it in this thread.

I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Pretty much as those of us who have been objective and rational about Pete have been saying;

Ken Daneyko @KenDaneykoMSG
@DevilsInsiders wins regardless of who is in lineup, but I think Pete is a good coach!

@DevilsInsiders Doesn't mean I agree with how he handled everything, but very smart guy!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And can we stop pretending that the Devils current situation has anything other to do with losing Parise and the Kovalchuk debacle happening simultaneously ...please?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
And can we stop pretending that the Devils current situation has anything other to do with losing Parise and the Kovalchuk debacle happening simultaneously ...please?

haha this for sure. but it can't be argued that it didn't contribute long term, in terms of attracting talent, and thus leaving the team in mediocrity. a short 2 year cycle, but enough to bring us where we are

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

We were never going to be able to keep both players and Lou was GM over this whole period when players were acquired, kept, then lost. Both are facts (not assigning blame here just stating facts).

The end.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

I think he could have been told Saturday night or Sunday morning after the Washington game.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
[/B]

No it isn't.

LOU MUST GO!!!!

This is very excellent, intelligent, and insightful factual evidence to support your point. Thanks for that. :sarcasm:

Lou is not at fault for the major decline of important players - yes, he's partially at fault for not foreseeing it earlier.

Lou is not at fault for the amount of injuries this team has had and the man games lost - yes, he's partially at fault for not building enough depth to make up for it.

Lou is not at fault for the lack of progress of the youthful players - yes, he's partially at fault for not creating a better environment earlier.

Lou is not at fault for the major loss of all talent this roster had a few years ago - yes, he's partially at fault for the how and why some of them left but not at all.

Pete DeBoer IS unequivocally at fault for poor decision making in terms of his players on the ice, their positions, the minutes they play, the situations they play those minutes in, and the systems in place on the ice, as well as a lack of adaptation to a changing game and roster.

Which of those is easier to fix in the short term? The things PDB is directly responsible for, not the things that Lou is responsible for correcting.

Your turn.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
What is the big picture objectively? Isn't it to win?

Lou deserves to be fired for being accountable for the decay of the overall roster and poor results. He's said it himself that's how he judges his teams, his players, his coaches. And don't discount the fact that he's getting old.

The drafting has only recently improved and only in one area (and not dramatically either might I add, a few D prospects here or there but let's not act like we have Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey back there even now).

Our forwards situation has become the laughingstock of the league and most of our prospects are either far away or floundering currently in the "A". We have a roster that cannot play to the style the NHL is played at nor compete to how the points system is structured (hello a gazilliion shootout losses in a row!)

Where do we hold a GM accountable? When? I'm all ears. All ears. Send me a PM with a nice eloquent reasoning if you don't want to go into it in this thread.

I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Correct.

Results driven business.

LOU MUST GO!!

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Pretty much as those of us who have been objective and rational about Pete have been saying;

@DevilsInsiders wins regardless of who is in lineup, but I think Pete is a good coach!

@DevilsInsiders Doesn't mean I agree with how he handled everything, but very smart guy!

Sorry, your not going to convince me Pete's a smart guy. He could be a good coach in the right situation but anybody who commits the insane lineup decisions that Pete did is not smart.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Sorry, your not going to convince me Pete's a smart guy. He could be a good coach in the right situation but anybody who commits the insane lineup decisions that Pete did is not smart.

Why would you need to be convinced, you are around him enough clearly that you'd know yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad