Confirmed with Link: Coach Pete DeBoer Is Fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Bylsma is currently doing the USA WJC game... Was asked if he is anticipating getting a call from Lou...

Said he has his phone always on Standby

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
This is a great controlled experiment. If PDB is the disaster every makes him out to be then, assuming no change in personnel, we should see a major turnaround in the quality of play.

Doubtful, the talent's not there. But he had to go given his shuffling and handling of players. Hopefully the younger players will get more attention and focus now.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I also agree that we aren't close to contenders, but I think we're SIGNIFICANTLY better than our record shows. Advanced metrics from last year shows that as well, even though we regressed big time this year. I think that's part of Lou's plan as well. He has to be watching that.

Couldn't one make the same argument that PDB outperformed last year w/ the sterling metrics considering the make-up of that roster?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
This is a great controlled experiment. If PDB is the disaster every makes him out to be then, assuming no change in personnel, we should see a major turnaround in the quality of play.

sadly I don't think so - flawed experiment because if the team continues to suck it will just lay on the players or new coach, not in any way vindicate Pete to anyone.

This punch bowl has more than one turd in it. Pete was just the floater on top that was convenient to point to.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Fare thee well, brother.

This is the best possible gif I could have expected to see in this thread, on multiple levels! I'll always appreciate what he helped do that season, but dear lord am I glad he's gone right now. Here's to sensible lines and trusting kids (I can dream, can't I?) in 2015.

NH0zEjj_zps6427874a.gif

ibjjZa3yoYFCud_zpsce0fe5df.gif

rolston2_zps973837bc.gif

devils-harlem-shake_zpse44b5726.gif

tumblr_m3rq1ibAhr1qc3qpvo1_250.gif

And hopefully much less of this in the future:
f17c4627.jpg

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
All the best Pete, thanks for you hard work with the Devils but this decision is long overdue.

Last edited:

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
sadly I don't think so - flawed experiment because if the team continues to suck it will just lay on the players or new coach, not in any way vindicate Pete to anyone.

This punch bowl has more than one turd in it. Pete was just the floater on top that was convenient to point to.

Ya. I agree. As Jim said, perhaps there is a short term bump, but I will be shocked if they suddenly turn into a dynamic, winning team. I'm just positing that people seem to think he's the lone variable pulling the Devils into an abyss of excrement. Hey! There's Santini!

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Bylsma 9-19-1970 252-117-32 .670 6 playoffs and 1 SC
Stevens 4-1-1964
Tortorella 6-24-1958 433-371-37-78 8 playoffs and 1 SC
Oates 8-27-1962 65-48-17 .565
Muller 2-8-1966 80-80-27 .500
Lou 10-21-1942 34-14-5 lost in 2nd round twice
Lemaire 9-7-1945 617-458-124-63 .563
Foligno 1-29-1959 12 years 5 in ahl and 7 in ohl
Barr 11-30-1960 5 years 1 in ahl and 4 in ohl
Kowalski 3-20-1972
Wilson 5-28-1955 18 years 648-561-101-91
Albelin 5-21-1964

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't think Torts is a great coach, but the one thing you can't fault him for is holding his players accountable.

Not that I endorse hiring him on any level, I don't, but a different coach that has the same accountability would be welcomed IMO. Enough of the country club atmosphere.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is the right move for the FRANCHISE. I don't care about the TEAM. The season is lost, I don't give a **** about the 18 guys on the roster for this year any more.

The rebuild has officially begun. Pete wasn't the guy to do it. Start developing the kids, get some good habits going, build culture. I don't care about winning games, if we do that's very nice, but now it's about playing the right way and laying a foundation. Pete wasn't going to do that.

We have quality assets to build around, we need to invest in them now, and if not making the playoffs for another year or two is the cost of doing so I'll gladly take it.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If Oates, prepare for two more years of this.

Yeah, as someone who suffered through two years of his regime, I feel I gotta chime in on this. Adam Oates is, in no way, anywhere close to a good head coach. He's an ego-maniacal micro-manger who doesn't believe in motivating his players (no exaggeration, he actually said this), thinks he knows better than everyone else about coaching every position (he drove out Dave Prior, a very good NHL goaltending coach for a decade+), and has an unhealthy obsession with 'proper' handedness (which led to numerous position switches).

Only two positives came from his reign of regression: a PP design and George McPhee losing his job.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
The only thing about Oates is he is offensive minded. I wouldnt hate it, but wouldnt love it either.

Thing is, remember he will most likely be a filler for the rest of the year, and we will look for our long term candidate in the summer

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah, as someone who suffered through two years of his regime, I feel I gotta chime in on this. Adam Oates is, in no way, anywhere close to a good head coach. He's an ego-maniacal micro-manger who doesn't believe in motivating his players (no exaggeration, he actually said this), thinks he knows better than everyone else about coaching every position (he drove out Dave Prior, a very good NHL goaltending coach for a decade+), and has an unhealthy obsession with 'proper' handedness (which led to numerous position switches).

Only two positives came from his reign: a PP design and George McPhee losing his job.

Who do you think he got that from ?? :laugh::laugh:

Peter Deboer is the same exact way

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Only two positives came from his reign: a PP design and George McPhee losing his job.

well, our PP is actually pretty good even though we suck lol so we don't really need to change that

but if it gets Lou out the door this summer, maybe its not so bad.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The only thing about Oates is he is offensive minded. I wouldnt hate it, but wouldnt love it either.

Thing is, remember he will most likely be a filler for the rest of the year, and we will look for our long term candidate in the summer

My biggest worry is that, with the Devils due for some better luck and probably some better play considering all the injuries, the Devils could easily have a much-improved second half no matter WHAT the new coach does. If Oates comes in and the team plays like **** and still wins some, he could get signed in a move that could **** everything up for the next 2 or 3 years.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Hopefully this is the first of several moves in the coming weeks. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Jagr is not long for this team as well. He stated publicly how much he liked PDB and I would guess he will request a trade soon. Overall, I think this move is the right one. Like PDB or not, he is not the coach for this team moving forward with a rebuild/re-tool/whatever you want to call it. Nice guy and I wish him well but this isn't the place for him any longer. Now, any guesses on who's the replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad