Player Discussion Claude Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Oh I remember, and he played great, I just remember thinking that we were getting guy who’s best years were behind him at the time, though he was a pleasant surprise.

Th injury absolutely sunk that playoffs, and he want welcome back the next year. Add in the lockout and it was the shittiest outcome of ‘what could have been’.
He was amazing and then won 2 Stanley Cups with the Wings after playing with us. Set league record for shutouts in a post season.

He was the biggest FA signing we ever had because he was the best player we have ever signed and he was the most important piece left to make us a champion.

The fact he got hurt in the Olympics is the only reason we didn't a Cup...it still pains me to no end.

**Edit to say I am wrong and had my timelines mixed up - he won 1st Cup with Wings in 2002 then played sparingly in the Cup win in his post-Senators return to Wings**

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was amazing and then won 2 Stanley Cups with the Wings after playing with us. Set league record for shutouts in a post season.

He was the biggest FA signing we ever had because he was the best player we have ever signed and he was the most important piece left to make us a champion.

The fact he got hurt in the Olympics is the only reason we didn't a Cup...it still pains me to no end.
The Red Wings did not win the Cup in 2007 and Hasek only has 4 games played in the 2008 playoffs when the Red Wings did win.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

No he didn't.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Mannn, all this Hasek talk got me all nostalgic. As someone born in 93, I started off playing in goal because I was inspired by Hasek flopping around and break dancing in the net. I never liked specific teams until 2002, but loved specific players and I'm thinking of how hyped I was when we got the Dominator.

Reactions: Dionysus

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The Red Wings did not win the Cup in 2007 and Hasek only has 4 games played in the 2008 playoffs when the Red Wings did win.
Yep - I should not trust my memory on those things. I remembered him being very good with the Wings and that he won but he was integral in 2002, setting the shutout record.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
My recollection of Bondra is that he was vitrually useless.
Didn’t he get smoked by Domi within a few weeks of the trade and basically never play again?

EDIT see that he did play a total of 30 games with the Sens, and a couple more NHL seasons beyond that. Maybe it was more that he was “basically never a good player again “

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Expecting a more mature Jake Sanderson to put the Defence corps on his back to help Giroux with that next year

Grioux is still young enough to sign another contract after this one is up imo. If need be. A sweetheart team friendly deal. He seems to be very Alfie-esque in how he's aging like a fine wine, among many others things about him.

Anyways we are so lucky to have this guy, and even luckier that he's come even better than advertised.

Reactions: bicboi64

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Didn’t he get smoked by Domi within a few weeks of the trade and basically never play again?

EDIT see that he did play a total of 30 games with the Sens, and a couple more NHL seasons beyond that. Maybe it was more that he was “basically never a good player again “
I think he had checked out and simply wanted to retire. Another bad trade.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
"Anyways we are so lucky to have this guy, and even luckier that he's come even better than advertised."

The guy was an absolute stud in Philly, with all the same skill and heart you see now, every season. His play is not slowing down at all, so you will have him for as long as he wants to play, which could easily be 5-6 seasons or even more. I maintain, the best player ever not to be asked to play on the Canadian Olympic team, which is a joke when you look at him and then some of the roster spots that got filled with others. He even could have been the 4th line grinder on wing, and it would have been fantastic.

Really hoping for the Sens to get that playoff spot.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Giroux has been absolutely amazing for this team, he's a true leader and you can tell that our young guys look up to him a lot.

And guess what?

There are a ton of Flyers fans who believe he was a terrible leader and blame him for the Flyers being underachievers/bad the last decade.

Some fan bases are wildly stupid - and that includes my own in this scenario.

• Wow
Reactions: NyQuil and bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Stu and Sanderson's play ahve been the highlights for me, but the best one has been how awesome Giroux has been.

Also loving the name the Claudefather

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022

A player well past his prime. Wasn't he like in his 15thNHL season when Sens traded for him ? In his prime Bondra was a one of the more dangerous and consistent goal scores in the leagaue for well over a decade. He was one of the fastest guys in the league with the puck and pretty wreckless as well. Those type of players as they get older lose their effectiveness / threat level. I can't recall what Ottawa was trying to accomplish with that move. And yea he was always in and out of the lineup for the Sens. Didn't he get injured in his first game as a Senator ?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
From Alfie to G:

11-Creation-of-Adam_640x357.ashx

He has that penchant to always do the right thing at the right time like Alfredsson did.

He had a dump in and change tonight but instead of the usual he tried to skip it off the ice to make it tricky for Halak like those long-range shots that occasionally go in.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My recollection of Bondra is that he was vitrually useless.

What happened with Bondra is that he was a lifelong RWer and we made him play as a LWer as opposed to putting Hossa, Havlat or Alfredsson on the LW.

You may ask, why would a team with 3 1st line RWers acquire another RWer?

And that would be a decent question to ask.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad