Player Discussion Claude Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Those are remarkable numbers for his age.

This is the greatest production we've ever had from a UFA.

And he wants to be here, and he's a veteran captain, and he's signed for 2 more years and wants us to start pushing now.

Everything that could have gone right... has. Watching him play has been an absolute treat. He's healing years of trauma from seeing our future and legend Alfredsson get up and leave(understandbly) when we needed him most; from seeing players intentionally avoid Ottawa past decade.

Thank you, Claude. I want us to make the playoffs for him more than anything else.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He does this. Just goes incandescent and puts the team on his back, willing them into the playoffs. I'm just glad another fanbase understands now. I'm also glad he's on a team that actually understands the importance of adding talent over shitty role players. You guys pretty much have the team I wanted the Flyers to be for Claude for the last 5 years.

HFitzer

Mar 3, 2023
Flyers lurker, coming in peace: I just wanted to mention that since Jan 21st, Giroux's numbers have been second only to McDavid, per NHL.com, and in order to achieve this, McDavid has seen an average of 23.24 mins ice time per game, with G at just 18.01. His shot percentage has been 23.4% as opposed to McDavid's 15.9.

McDavid is also a decade younger.

The Flyers have offered us a smorgasbord of awful, awful choices the past decade, but forcing G out was the worst. And I can't even find it in me to be sad, because he deserves to play out his final years in a team that values him. Thanks for appreciating him the way Philly should always have done, and recognising how badly underrated he's always been.

There's a clip somewhere of Carter Hart in the locker room, after a bad defeat where he was pulled, where G asks if he's okay and then says fiercely, "Not your fault, okay? Not your fault!" He always looked out for his teammates, even as he had that insane compete level, genius hockey IQ, insane hands and true leadership.

He's an elite player who spent the decade of his prime carrying a dumpster fire of a team on his back, under appreciated by the wider hockey fanbase because his numbers were so badly limited by the state of the team, yet he never gave up, never whined, never made excuses, just worked his heart and soul out, day after day and night after night. And now he's doing that with you, in the place he and his family clearly see as home. And gutted as I am for us, I'm happy for him. He deserved so much more from the Flyers than he ever got.

Last edited:

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Flyers lurker, coming in peace: I just wanted to mention that since Jan 21st, Giroux's scoring has been second only to McDavid, per NHL.com, and in order to achieve this, McDavid has seen an average of 23.24 mins ice time per game, with G at just 18.01. His shot percentage has been 23.4% as opposed to McDavid's 15.9.

The Flyers have offered us a smorgasbord of awful, awful choices the past decade, but forcing G out was the worst. And I can't even find it in me to be sad, because he deserves to play out his final years in a team that values him. Thanks for appreciating him the way Philly should always have done, and recognising how badly underrated he's always been.

There's a clip somewhere of Carter Hart in the locker room, after a bad defeat where he was pulled, where G asks if he's okay and then says fiercely, "Not your fault, okay? Not your fault!" He always looked out for his teammates, even as he had that insane compete level, genius hockey IQ, insane hands and true leadership.

He's an elite player who spent the decade of his prime carrying a dumpster fire of a team on his back, under appreciated by the wider hockey fanbase because his numbers were so badly limited by the state of the team, yet he never gave up, never whined, never made excuses, just worked his heart and soul out, day after day and night after night. And now he's doing that with you, in the place he and his family clearly see as home. And gutted as I am for us, I'm happy for him. He deserved so much more from the Flyers than he ever got.
For what is worth, he was by far my favorite player outside of Ottawa Senators for ages now. I always admired him and I knew he was a heart and soul of Flyers team. It sucks for you guys that he left, honestly. It sucked for us when Alfie was gone. So, thank you. He made that "love" part of my love/hate relationship with your team :)

Reactions: Amorgus and HFitzer

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Flyers lurker, coming in peace: I just wanted to mention that since Jan 21st, Giroux's scoring has been second only to McDavid, per NHL.com, and in order to achieve this, McDavid has seen an average of 23.24 mins ice time per game, with G at just 18.01. His shot percentage has been 23.4% as opposed to McDavid's 15.9.

This is the guy who took on Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang. Carried his team, and his two best supports were Voracek and a young Couturier. That is Him.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I thought Giroux would have a down year this year. He always seemed to have way more assists than goals. I assumed players like that after 1000 games would taper of their scoring year by year.

The opposite is true for Giroux. I thought we were getting a declining player and he reminds me so much of how Daniel Alfredsson continued to be so productive late in his career.

Claude Giroux
Year(s)Y GP G A PTS
2018-19 82 22 63 85
2019-20 69 21 32 53
2020-21 54 16 27 43
2021-22 57 18 24 42
2021-22 18 03 20 23
2022-23 61 26 37 63

Giroux is scoring at above 1 point per game for the first time in 5 years.

There were only 3 other times in Giroux's career where he scored more than 26 goals.

In 77 games (2011-12) Giroux scored 28 goals.
In 82 games (2013-2014) he scored 28 goals.
in 82 games (2017-218) he scored 34 goals.

At 61 games played this year Giroux is on pace for 35 goals this season. That would be the most goals he has ever scored in his career at the age of 35.

Somebody drug test this man ASAP :sarcasm:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is the guy who took on Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang. Carried his team, and his two best supports were Voracek and a young Couturier. That is Him.
Where is Couts these days?

I remember putting up a Couts versus Zibanejad post on the main board years back and getting lit up for it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember putting up a Couts versus Zibanejad post on the main board years back and getting lit up for it.

That Couturier-Zibanejad-Scheifele draft rivalry was a pretty torrid one.

Interestingly, they all turned into solid contributors.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I live in Hearst and we are so damn proud of him here, he's such a role model for our kids here that anything is possible if you work hard and believe in your dreams. G always has a golf tournament here in Hearst to raise money for the community here in Hearst, hasn't been able to do it the last couple of years because of Covid but he never forgot where he came from. Merci Claude on est fière de toi en crisse ici mon chum!!! Thank you Go Sens Go!!!

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Apparently he had a second back surgery awhile back. Still is recovering.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
That Couturier-Zibanejad-Scheifele draft rivalry was a pretty torrid one.

Interestingly, they all turned into solid contributors.

Right now as it stands, I would go
Scheifele > Zbad > Couts

but Zbad could pass Scheifele depending on how both end their careers. I also think he’s in a better situation than Scheifele right now. And while nearing 30, he’s still surprisingly improving and adding a new gear each season

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Couturier's back is shot. That 8-year deal 62 million dollar deal that just started this season at age 29/30 should age well.

• Wow
Reactions: Alex1234

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Got to play against him in a charity hokey tournament in Ottawa (Guns n Hoses), dude was firing off wrist shots at my groin to make sure I don't have kids, but I'll forgive him, words cant describe how important he's been playing.

• Wow
Reactions: DrEasy

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Continuing the Giroux simping because all the non-idiot Flyers fans miss him so much.

After the Provorov debacle in our living hell of an organization, of course I see Claude wearing pride tape on his socks

As a Flyer fan, I've become pretty apathetic. When Fletcher did him dirty I was so mad and angry all of the emotions of not caring about a team I love came out during his last home game. It was the first game I tuned in to in almost an entire season, and the last one sans the few McDavid games. And that weasel Bob Clarke had the gall to speak on his behalf, the creature who forgot his name on his draft night.

Giroux is an amazing leader, player, and role model. I'm glad Sens fans, especially younger ones, get to see him still light it up while doing his great charty work, appearances, and supporting marginalized communities. On the ice he's willing you guys into a playoff spot, and it isn't the first time he's carried a team on his back in his career and likely won't be the last. I'm pulling for you guys big time. Peace and love

Last edited:

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I hope Giroux will play for the Sens after his 3 year contract is up. It would be great to see him play a couple of years after that even if only in a limited capacity. Maybe at a "hometown discount" contract to help out with the leadership and to get him and the Sens a Stanley Cup! Go Sens go!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Flyers lurker, coming in peace: I just wanted to mention that since Jan 21st, Giroux's numbers have been second only to McDavid, per NHL.com, and in order to achieve this, McDavid has seen an average of 23.24 mins ice time per game, with G at just 18.01. His shot percentage has been 23.4% as opposed to McDavid's 15.9.

From my perspective, Giroux is the best FA signing this franchise has ever made. He means a lot to us fans, but his affect and effect on the kids are immeasurable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad