Player Discussion Claude Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Or… one of them could be involved in acquiring a legit top 4 D Man.
True - you have to give to get. I hope that new management would be involved for that though as I really don't trust our pro evaluation to get the best possible return.

It's early but I would probably have to lean towards letting Pinto go over Greig due to vision and creativity but would much prefer if we could keep both of them.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
My memory of Bondra's game with the Sens has faded a bit over the years, was he really that washed? I remember him being pretty fast but that's about it.
IIRC, he got boarded by Domi or Tucker or something in one of the final games of the season and didn't play well after that. Maybe nursing an injury?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
True - you have to give to get. I hope that new management would be involved for that though as I really don't trust our pro evaluation to get the best possible return.

It's early but I would probably have to lean towards letting Pinto go over Greig due to vision and creativity but would much prefer if we could keep both of them.
Isn't the pro side part of Bowness's responsibility now?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I dunno if this has been said or not. It probably has. I feel like Giroux is the best free agent signing the Ottawa Senators have ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I dunno if this has been said or not. It probably has. I feel like Giroux is the best free agent signing the Ottawa Senator have ever made
The 04' Senators were contenders, and added Hasek on a 2 year deal. The level of excitement went far beyond a bottom feeding roster signing Giroux, in spite of how great of a signing Giroux was.

Hasek in essence replaced Lalime after his game 7 playoff meltdown. It felt as though our only major roadblock was not only rectified, but that it was now our greatest strength.

Reactions: OD99 and Karl Prime

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Bondra was totally washed up, and Hasek was 40 and cup chasing.

I was so pissed at Bondra, as a soft winger well past his scoring days was exactly NOT what we needed, and I remember not thinking Hasek had much left in the tank when he signed with us (He ended up still having almost a reg season of top level play!)

Neither signing was nearly as exciting as G in my opinion. Throw in DBC and this was a summer for the ages for a Sens team.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Bondra was totally washed up, and Hasek was 40 and cup chasing.

I was so pissed at Bondra, as a soft winger well past his scoring days was exactly NOT what we needed, and I remember not thinking Hasek had much left in the tank when he signed with us (He ended up still having almost a reg season of top level play!)

Neither signing was nearly as exciting as G in my opinion. Throw in DBC and this was a summer for the ages for a Sens team.

Hasek's signing was pretty exciting. What bummed it out was losing the season to lockout. A 2004-05 Sens team with Alfie, Hossa, Spezza, Havlat, Chara, Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil .... and then Hasek to go on top of that. They could have been one of the greatest teams ever, and remember that Murray not Martin would have been coach. And then in 05-06 Hasek was amazing to go behind an amazing team - kind of like Boston now with Ullmark - and maybe the only thing that stopped them was his injury in the Olympics.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hasek's signing was pretty exciting. What bummed it out was losing the season to lockout. A 2004-05 Sens team with Alfie, Hossa, Spezza, Havlat, Chara, Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil .... and then Hasek to go on top of that. They could have been one of the greatest teams ever, and remember that Murray not Martin would have been coach. And then in 05-06 Hasek was amazing to go behind an amazing team - kind of like Boston now with Ullmark - and maybe the only thing that stopped them was his injury in the Olympics.
Oh I remember, and he played great, I just remember thinking that we were getting guy who’s best years were behind him at the time, though he was a pleasant surprise.

Th injury absolutely sunk that playoffs, and he want welcome back the next year. Add in the lockout and it was the shittiest outcome of ‘what could have been’.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Oh I remember, and he played great, I just remember thinking that we were getting guy who’s best years were behind him at the time, though he was a pleasant surprise.

Th injury absolutely sunk that playoffs, and he want welcome back the next year. Add in the lockout and it was the shittiest outcome of ‘what could have been’.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the team thought Hasek could play in the playoffs but he refused, so that soured the relationship.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Bondra had many playoffs in Washington where he would seem to achieve better results in the playoffs than the reg season. Often got him late in playoff drafts. Like Doug Gilmour. Bohonos and Druce were role players that did it too. Adding Bondra was strengthening a strength of the roster for sure but then i think it was Domi towards the end of the regular season who hit him and knocked him out of the playoffs. Too bad , he could've been a difference maker. But like many stars coming to a new team at the deadline, it can sometimes be hard to settle into a new role and Bondra was slow getting there. But then again, his thing was that he was way better in the playoffs and we never really got to see it here.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The 04' Senators were contenders, and added Hasek on a 2 year deal. The level of excitement went far beyond a bottom feeding roster signing Giroux, in spite of how great of a signing Giroux was.

Hasek in essence replaced Lalime after his game 7 playoff meltdown. It felt as though our only major roadblock was not only rectified, but that it was now our greatest strength.
I still believe Giroux is better. Hasek was there to get us a cup on an already stacked team. He failed to show up. Giroux is teaching our youthful team every night. His impact on players like Grieg, Stützle and the other young forwards is immense and will continue to be.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Everyone be honest, do you even remember Guillaume Latendresse being on this team?

Fun player , I thought he brought some goal scoring. Maclean could have used him better.

or when Marian Gaborik was a Senator :laugh:
Gaborik was weird. He was one of my favourite players and I always wanted him on this team.

But the way we got him lol. He was well past the best before date and the team was not playing anything close to meaningful games with him. I would prefer it just never happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad