Value of: Claude Giroux to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

emmitt fitzhume

Dec 14, 2021
Giroux has been around this shit show for a decade. Hasn’t asked out. Why I have no idea. Don’t see him asking out now. Hope he does.

That being said he can be a teams missing piece. He won’t have to carry the mail and would likely be rejuvenated.

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
If you can find an example of a 33 year old player being traded at the deadline for a high end prospect in the salary cap era, that would be helpful. The value of cost controlled players is very high. They are very unlikely to be traded for rentals. That's why Pelletier is 100% off the table.

The closest comparable I can find to this would be April 2013 Martin Erat (31) being traded for Filip Forsberg (Drafted 11th in 2012 draft).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The closest comparable I can find to this would be April 2013 Martin Erat (31) being traded for Filip Forsberg (Drafted 11th in 2012 draft).

And that was seen as an extremely questionable trade, and in hindsight it was a disaster. That's basically a great example of why you should never give up a good prospect for a guy in his mid 30s.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah there’s no way a UFA gets Pelletier. He’s a top 6 forward in the making. You don’t trade those for UFAs even if they are really good players.

I could see the Flames offering a first and a prospect but I don’t see any of the top 4 guys being included it that trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In the Giroux thread, it was mentioned that either a 1st and a B+ prospect, or a 2nd and an A prospect should be the price. Sounds fair to me, but I don't know who those players would be from the Flames. Would the Flames need to move cap first?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And that was seen as an extremely questionable trade, and in hindsight it was a disaster. That's basically a great example of why you should never give up a good prospect for a guy in his mid 30s.
Yeah, Erat for Forsberg is a horrible comparison. It's in more than hindsight that Erat-Forsberg was a disaster, people were laughing at it the day it happened. Let's not pretend that Erat was as good as Giroux either.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

That trade was almost as bad as thinking Erat is comparable to Giroux.

Almost.

Ledge And Dairy

In the Giroux thread, it was mentioned that either a 1st and a B+ prospect, or a 2nd and an A prospect should be the price. Sounds fair to me, but I don't know who those players would be from the Flames. Would the Flames need to move cap first?
Calgary has 3M deadline space so at most Pitlick has to be added in if Giroux is retained. (this doesn't account for any potential injuries that could occur around the deadline

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I have no idea why Clode would waive his NMC to go to Calgary or any Canadian team right now for that matter.

If I was him, I'd have a handful of teams maybe that I'd waive for. TBL, FLA, COL, VGK

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ledge And Dairy

I have no idea why Clode would waive his NMC to go to Calgary or any Canadian team right now for that matter.

If I was him, I'd have a handful of teams maybe that I'd waive for. TBL, FLA, COL, VGK
This was a pretty pointless comment, obviously he would have to waive to end up in Calgary. The point of discussion here is assuming he waives, then what is the cost

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Agree. Players don't normally like playing for Canadian teams, much less during times like this where the Canadian government is going crazy over covid.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Because he's a UFA anyway so if he has any interest in winning at all, he should want to go to the team with the best chance at it who shows interest in him. TB and Col are going to have a hard time making room for a cap hit like that. Vegas could, but may not want him. If a team like Calgary is interested, you can be sure that the agent will know if other teams out there are. Basically, it comes down to whether he would rather play in the playoffs or not.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah there’s no way a UFA gets Pelletier. He’s a top 6 forward in the making. You don’t trade those for UFAs even if they are really good players.

I could see the Flames offering a first and a prospect but I don’t see any of the top 4 guys being included it that trade.

Still unlikely but I could see Pelletier involved if the Flyers send Giroux and a good prospect that isn't on Pelletier's level Z(basically a prospect downgrade). IDK enough about Pelletier to suggest someone from the Flyers, but they have a good enough prospect pool where it's likely doable.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Still unlikely but I could see Pelletier involved if the Flyers send Giroux and a good prospect that isn't on Pelletier's level Z(basically a prospect downgrade). IDK enough about Pelletier to suggest someone from the Flyers, but they have a good enough prospect pool where it's likely doable.

I don’t see much of a difference between Pelts and Krebs. And Krebs was the main piece in a trade for Eichel. I mean anything can happen but Treliving has never really traded prospects other than Fox and that’s because he wouldn’t sign. And they got Lindholm and Hanifin for 6 years each

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia

I never said it was a good trade. You just asked someone to name a trade where a good prospect was traded for a 30+ player at the deadline. While it usually turns out bad for the team trading the prospect, it does happen.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
A 2nd round pick is insulting and that post was ignored. A playoff teams late first is the secondary asset in a giroux deal.

Flyers needs prospect wise are c and rhd

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A 2nd round pick is insulting and that post was ignored. A playoff teams late first is the secondary asset in a giroux deal.

Flyers needs prospect wise are c and rhd
The Flames aren't moving any prospect that has more value than their first for Giroux.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why would Giroux not want to play in Canada? Sure philly is home but playing in Canada is a unique experience that most players want to experience playing in Canada at some point. Imagine winning a cup in Canada? What could be better?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why would Giroux not want to play in Canada? Sure philly is home but playing in Canada is a unique experience that most players want to experience playing in Canada at some point. Imagine winning a cup in Canada? What could be better?
Our covid rules and travel restrictions have made it ever harder than it was before to get players who want to come in. I don't think most fans understand how hard it is to get players to play in a Canadian market. Friedman discussed it on 960 this summer. A lot of players wouldn't come even with a better contract offer. Sucks, but it's the truth. Montreal especially seems to be having a hard time with getting players to come. The same issues as any Canadian market, but adding in the language, media and tax situation makes it basically impossible for them to compete.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t know about Calgary, but he could absolutely be the piece that puts a team like the Avs over the top. He wouldn’t be your typical deadline add that just floats around for awhile. The guy will go all out.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t know about Calgary, but he could absolutely be the piece that puts a team like the Avs over the top. He wouldn’t be your typical deadline add that just floats around for awhile. The guy will go all out.
Oh I think if we could add Giroux he would be a very valuable addition to the team. We would be able to have four solid lines.

I don't think it will happen, but if it did some salary would have to head Philly's way or they would have to retain.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk
Mangiapane/Monahan/Giroux
Dube/Backlund/Coleman
Lucic/Richardson/Lewis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad