Value of: Claude Giroux to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
He's the perfect acquisition for Calgary. That's why I'm certain it won't happen.

Imagine him helping the core push through the playoff fight.. *drools*

One can dream..

Reactions: 1989

Ledge And Dairy

Unless I'm mistaken, he could have played in the AHL last season like many other CHL players did because of Covid. Regardless, you kind of made my point. Comparing an 18 year old like Jarvis playing in the AHL in his draft +1 season to a 20 year old playing in the NHL in his draft +3 season isn't really apples to apples. The point the poster was trying to make before you made this comparison is that if a forward is a blue chip prospect like many people are calling Pelletier, he's typically not spending the season in which he turns 21 in the AHL.
The QMJHL wasn't cancelled so no he couldn't. The OHL was so players like Byfield could. Im not comparing Jarvis' age to Pelletier's that's only you. I am arguing the the thought process of the other poster that players succeeding in the AHL would be moved to the NHL if they were any good. That makes no sense, It's completely normal to keep an AHL rookie in the minors, especially when the main team is having so much success. I also retracted my comparison to Jarvis as he did not played the entire season in the AHL last year and was instead sent back to the WHL once they resumed play. I then gave examples of many other players who played a season in the AHL first before going up to the majors. Lastly, we still arent even half way through Pelletier's rookie AHL season so why is there a pretense that he won't be called up at all this year?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Discussion with Colorado involved newhook who is a kid who has moved into the good young player category so moving him would hurt the roster and thus partially negate the value in acquiring a guy for a cup run.
A pick that late 25+ in the draft is the + in a deal for giroux. He won't be moved for spare parts outside of fletchers incompetence.
If there aren't any prospects of significant value then the discussion would then move to roster players which brings us back to the first point.

What is Calgary going to offer that convinces Philly not to ride giroux at nearly a ppg to another near miss or first round exit?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Discussion with Colorado involved newhook who is a kid who has moved into the good young player category so moving him would hurt the roster and thus partially negate the value in acquiring a guy for a cup run.
A pick that late 25+ in the draft is the + in a deal for giroux. He won't be moved for spare parts outside of fletchers incompetence.
If there aren't any prospects of significant value then the discussion would then move to roster players which brings us back to the first point.

What is Calgary going to offer that convinces Philly not to ride giroux at nearly a ppg to another near miss or first round exit?
Honestly, probably nothing remotely close to what you're suggesting. If that's the starting point, I feel quite safe in saying that the Flames would explore other options, in a potentially loaded UFA market. My guess is most teams kick tires, offering their 1st, with permission to talk to Giroux......after that 95% of the teams will drop out due to the NMC. The Flyers aren't out of it yet and truthfully I'd be surprised if he even ends up being moved.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

If that's Philadelphia's perspective Giroux is very unlikely to get moved. Giroux gets moved in the situation where Philadelphia thinks they can't compete, know Giroux is likely moving on, and Philly is salvaging an asset. No one is paying big assets to pry a 33 year old player out.

And I can't see anyone offering a 20 year old player already scoring at over .5 ppg and dominating the AHL. If Colorado is offering Newhook, you should jump on that. It's the best offer you'll get.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Philly won't move him. They will let him walk because Fletcher hates improving the team. If they did trade him it would probably be Giroux and Philly's first for Calgary's first and a 35 year old veteran 4th liner like Nate Thompson. You have to realize Fletcher's goal is to help other teams, not the Flyers. He overpays for everything. if Calgary asks for a first rounder, he'll throw in a second just to be nice. I can't wait for the next 8 years to be up so we can fire him after the next 8 years of finishing between 10th and 15th worst each season, making the playoffs once or twice and getting bounced quickly.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

If Newhook is available then Philly should take that and run; though likely that’s not and never will be the case.

If he actually was available, I think most teams would be interested in adding G for a playoff run; you’d like a first, a decent prospect and some additional draft capital would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad