Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Id prefer a clean deal of Barron and 1st but I think pieces could be moved around to take on salary. Switch Byram for Barron and add Gompers or add helleson and jost.
Are f***ing kidding me? Byram, either Helleson+Jost or Compher, and a 1st for 34 year old, pending UFA Giroux

You are high as a kite if you think a rental is worth that much regardless if PHI retained salary for a whole 20 games or took on Compher’s whopping 3.5 cap hit for one more year.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So the Avs get Giroux but don't give up ONE of Newhook, Byram or Olausson? Yeah ok.

Giroux is going to pick where he wants to go and Philly is going to get whatever return they can manage to get.

I'm not saying Giroux is going to pick the Avs, but I am saying Philly isn't exactly going to be bending anyone over a barrel here. There's a reason teams don't want to hand out NMCs, they lose all the leverage.

For the record, I'd trade Olausson over Barron right now.

2023 2nd + Olausson, I'd do that trade today easily. Though I'd rather try to talk Boston into taking Helleson with a first rounder.

pockets

Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Giroux is going to pick where he wants to go and Philly is going to get whatever return they can manage to get.

I'm not saying Giroux is going to pick the Avs, but I am saying Philly isn't exactly going to be bending anyone over a barrel here. There's a reason teams don't want to hand out NMCs, they lose all the leverage.

For the record, I'd trade Olausson over Barron right now.

2023 2nd + Olausson, I'd do that trade today easily. Though I'd rather try to talk Boston into taking Helleson with a first rounder.
You mean Philly?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He can't be that bad.

Go look at this off-season… I definitely feel for Flyers fans. They have a fun team to watch, but Fletcher makes some boneheaded decisions.

Without Fletcher, I think 2023 first+Jost+Barron+2022 third would be close.

With Fletcher 2023 first and Jost might do it.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
As a Flyers fan, I'd be fine with a 1st and Olausson/Barron. Flyers can retain on G. Flyers can take short term cap back. Whatever makes it work.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Any team that wants to make a run for the cup, it would take a 1 and 2 at least to land G.

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
The Avalanche can get a deal done with the Flyers Giroux is a UFA after this season should be a fair deal made not an over payment

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Any team that wants to make a run for the cup, it would take a 1 and 2 at least to land G.

But, the only way Giroux gets moved is if he asks to be traded, and he can name his destination. If he only wants to go to one or two teams, why would they jeopardize trading him at all just to try to maximize their return, rather than granting the request of their long term, loyal star and captain so he can chase the Cup? Are the Flyers really going to kill his chance just because they don't get enough back? I don't see it.

Reactions: Richard88

pockets

Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Can anyone confirm that the Avs ‘23 1st will actually be available for trade by the deadline?

Reason I ask is that Capfriendly has it tied up as a potential condition in the Kuemper trade: if Avs ‘22 1st pick is top 10 then AZ gets ‘23 1st. Obviously we all know the likelihood of that is next to zero but I got to believe if it’s still mathematically possible at the TDL then that pick won’t be available.

Am I wrong about this?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
But, the only way Giroux gets moved is if he asks to be traded, and he can name his destination. If he only wants to go to one or two teams, why would they jeopardize trading him at all just to try to maximize their return, rather than granting the request of their long term, loyal star and captain so he can chase the Cup? Are the Flyers really going to kill his chance just because they don't get enough back? I don't see it.

It's Philly, don't put anything past the morons they have in charge there.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
For Avs fans, what’s the projected outlook and style of Newhook and Byram? What does it take to add to Giroux to get one of them or one of the and 1st? We do not have a 2nd this year yet.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
For Avs fans, what’s the projected outlook and style of Newhook and Byram? What does it take to add to Giroux to get one of them or one of the and 1st? We do not have a 2nd this year yet.
I doubt they would even entertain trading them. They are cost controlled young studs who are important for any cap contending team

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Can anyone confirm that the Avs ‘23 1st will actually be available for trade by the deadline?

Reason I ask is that Capfriendly has it tied up as a potential condition in the Kuemper trade: if Avs ‘22 1st pick is top 10 then AZ gets ‘23 1st. Obviously we all know the likelihood of that is next to zero but I got to believe if it’s still mathematically possible at the TDL then that pick won’t be available.

Am I wrong about this?

Pretty sure they still have the ability to trade it, but if they do they lose their ability to defer their 2022 pick they traded to Arizona. Which looking at the standings there's about a 0.01% chance of that happening.

Reactions: pockets

pockets

Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Pretty sure they still have the ability to trade it, but if they do they lose their ability to defer their 2022 pick they traded to Arizona. Which looking at the standings there's about a 0.01% chance of that happening.
Cool, thanks.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Newhook projects to be a two-way 2C, Byram (if he can get past his recent concussion issues) was projecting to be a all around top pairing defenseman with a shot a becoming a #1D.

Those two are more than likely non starters for anything reasonable. Someone would have to offer a stupid return to pry one of those guys out of Colorado.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If the return seems low a lot of people will be mad at G or the team, but I won't be. He earned his right to decide where he wants to go.

Reactions: MaKarter

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If the return seems low a lot of people will be mad at G or the team, but I won't be. He earned his right to decide where he wants to go.

Sakic did similar with Iginla, trading him to LA for essentially nothing. I'll admit Iginla's value was significantly less than Giroux's is now, but at some point you simply owe a guy to let him go where he wants and try to win.

Reactions: AvsCOL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Giroux was drafted in 2006. He turns 34 in 2022. He still has a couple more years left in him.

so, does he want to go to a team where there is going to be a chance for him to sign a new deal or would he be completely fine to then go to another team in the off season.

the path to get to the finals isn’t as daunting in the west vs the East.

completely up to Giroux what he wants to do with his nmc.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Go look at this off-season… I definitely feel for Flyers fans. They have a fun team to watch, but Fletcher makes some boneheaded decisions.

Without Fletcher, I think 2023 first+Jost+Barron+2022 third would be close.

With Fletcher 2023 first and Jost might do it.

I am assuming it will be 2023 1st and Jost.

Newhook projects to be a two-way 2C, Byram (if he can get past his recent concussion issues) was projecting to be a all around top pairing defenseman with a shot a becoming a #1D.

Those two are more than likely non starters for anything reasonable. Someone would have to offer a stupid return to pry one of those guys out of Colorado.

I was hoping for a bidding war + adding other pieces like Provorov, but I know cap will be an issue.

Sakic did similar with Iginla, trading him to LA for essentially nothing. I'll admit Iginla's value was significantly less than Giroux's is now, but at some point you simply owe a guy to let him go where he wants and try to win.

Fletcher guaranteed Yandle would beat the record this year. He’s been terrible and still starts. I am sure G will get his wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad