Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Marek & Friedman: Blank Cheque in Philly - Sportsnet.ca

According to Friedman, Colorado players have been reaching out to Giroux and telling him they want him to come to Colorado. Wouldn't shock me if NAK was one of the ones telling him how great the Colorado locker room is.

I'm not quite sure if this is tampering or not. I know GMs can't reach out to players, no idea if players can reach out to other players (though I'm sure it happens all the damn time).

Ultimately Giroux will get to pick where he wants to go. But I'm having a hard time thinking of a better fit than Colorado, both for him and for the Avs.

Some trade prices I'd be good with (assuming G is retained at 50%)
2023 1st + Helleson (reunite York and Helleson)
2022 2nd + Barron/Olausson

Newhook and Byram are obviously non starters.

With Chuckles the Clown still running the show, whatever you think you'll need to give up for Giroux, divide that in half.

Reactions: jabubenice

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I understand that being a point of contention. It’s $3.5mm AAV but your point still stands. Avs may need to flip to Jost at $2mm.

Philly does this for a 2023 1st and good prospect in Behrens. Avs getting pretty greedy if they unload JTC’s last year of term.

but that’s my offer if I’m Sakic.

2023 1st (top 2 protected), Behrens and JTC for Giroux retained. It’s a base hit for Philly because they can say they got a first and a solid prospect having a real good freshman season at DU.

Then pivot elsewhere to guys like Pavs or even Hertl before sweetening that on Giroux.
Philly in the Scheen deal took back Lehteri who had at least a year on his deal but Schenn had term in his as well.

doubt you see Philly give up Giroux and then have to eat a contract for 22-23. At least something that sizeable. JT is a nhler but what is he like $1 mill higher on the cap than he should be?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
To be fair, Fletcher doesn't inspire confidence and we don't know how many teams Giroux would be willing to waive his NMC for. The trade could end up being relatively underwhelming for a player of Giroux's caliber.
It'll still return more than these 3rd liners have been receiving over the past few years. They could always just not trade him if the offer isn't worth it obviously.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
It'll still return more than these 3rd liners have been receiving over the past few years. They could always just not trade him if the offer isn't worth it obviously.

That'd not be a popular decision.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I mean what incentive is there for Philly to retain 50% on G AND take back compher
Barron’s value is similar to if not better than Olausson, it just doesn’t make sense for the Avs to trade Olausson for a pending UFA when their entire 2nd line are also pending UFAs

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So the Avs get Giroux but don't give up ONE of Newhook, Byram or Olausson? Yeah ok.
How does nearly 34 year old Giroux who is a UFA at the end of the deal command Newhook or Byram?

Stone was a much better player when he got traded and younger and had an extension lined up with VGK, and he got a much worse piece than either of those two.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Now that Mack is out, need that #1 Centre :popcorn:

- Newhook won't be added because he's on the active roster. You add Giroux to Newhook, not to take his place.
- Byram won't be traded because no one knows his health, could be a top2 dman still, could never play again, who knows.
- Olausson could be added (rather him than Barron (RHD higher commodity))

Giroux (50% retained) + Braun for Compher (for cap purposes) + a mix of Olausson/Helleson/Kaut/picks.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Now that Mack is out, need that #1 Centre :popcorn:

- Newhook won't be added because he's on the active roster. You add Giroux to Newhook, not to take his place.
- Byram won't be traded because no one knows his health, could be a top2 dman still, could never play again, who knows.
- Olausson could be added (rather him than Barron (RHD higher commodity))

Giroux (50% retained) + Braun for Compher (for cap purposes) + a mix of Olausson/Helleson/Kaut/picks.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Id prefer a clean deal of Barron and 1st but I think pieces could be moved around to take on salary. Switch Byram for Barron and add Gompers or add helleson and jost.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So the Avs get Giroux but don't give up ONE of Newhook, Byram or Olausson? Yeah ok.

If Colorado is trading a Newhook or Byram, the Avs are going for a player with remaining term, not a pending UFA trade deadline deal. That should be clear by now based on the deals that we have seen over the years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What’s unrealistic about that? When was the last time a prospect of that caliber was traded for a rental at the deadline? The best I can think of in recent history is Abramov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad