Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Lol @ a 1st and Barron as mortgaging the future. That term has been thrown around too loosely in here.

What else is it if a team is trading their next 2 1sts + the guy they picked in the 1st not even 2 years ago?

The Flyers might rightfully ask for a return like that for their legendary captain but the Avs really should have no interest in paying that. If Giroux only wants the Avs, it has to be for a lesser return. If thats not feasible, he should be open to waiving his NMC for Minnesota or STL or another team like that or willing to stay with the Flyers. Which I personally would be very ok with. I think G to the Avs is a bad idea anyways unless its solely to do G a favor basically and send him to the contender he wants. The Avs really can't afford a move like that.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hopefully he consults with you and the others before deciding on what to do. Play out a meaningless season and hit 1,000 games and watch him walk in the offseason or grab a little something before he walks because he's pissed about not getting the chance of chasing a cup.
If he gets pissed about hitting 1000 games and that causes him to give up the time-honored tradition of getting a cushy position in the flyers org post-retirement then that's on him.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Just in terms of fit for both teams. Minnesota could use a Giroux who could play anywhere. They have assets, which is attractive for Philly. And they have some cap space this year to work him in. Like if they want him, they could easily beat an Avs offer and probably still not give up their best prospects because they have a very deep pool.

OK, so you're answering from Chuck Fletcher's perspective. How does this make sense for Giroux?

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
It makes more sense for Claude Giroux or for Chuck Fletcher?

Makes sense for all parties involved. Minnesota becomes a more complete team. Takes away one of the best trade deadline acquisitions off the market and away from one of their competitors. Giroux will have a legit chance to win a Cup. Fletcher could end up getting a better deal (or better than some of the low ball offers in here). So win-win-win. Wouldn't mind him going to Minnesota.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Honestly the Wild are the young promising team contending for the cup and flush with prospects that Hextall promised G he would have at this stage in his career. THAT is what the flyers were supposed to look like. I'd enjoy rooting him on on the Wild.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
What else is it if a team is trading their next 2 1sts + the guy they picked in the 1st not even 2 years ago?

The Flyers might rightfully ask for a return like that for their legendary captain but the Avs really should have no interest in paying that. If Giroux only wants the Avs, it has to be for a lesser return. If thats not feasible, he should be open to waiving his NMC for Minnesota or STL or another team like that or willing to stay with the Flyers. Which I personally would be very ok with. I think G to the Avs is a bad idea anyways unless its solely to do G a favor basically and send him to the contender he wants. The Avs really can't afford a move like that.

Yeah....I mean they still don't have Makar, Byram, Newhook, Olausson, Helleson plus other prospect and players in the system. As well as other draft picks.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yes but if your main rival and competitor in your conference is going after him, it might change things. Minnesota makes way more sense to me than Colorado. They can get Giroux 50% retained, send Rask + pick + prospect the other way (which they are loaded with). Minnesota can even recoup a first by moving Fiala in the offseason if they can't resign him due to their upcoming cap crunch. And Philly doesn't have to take a guy like Compher back for an extra year.

I think Giroux will return a decent haul. 1st + top prospect for a Top line C / W seems right? Two teams in the mix is more than enough to drive up the price.
Minnesota is not a Giroix away from beating the Avs. And if Minnesota does acquire him, Avs can still go out and acquire any number of other players available. There already are plenty of sellers. The eastern conference is all but decided already. The jets, Anaheim, Dallas, Vancouver will fall out soon enough as well.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
When both sides walk away slightly unhappy, or think they could have have gotten more/gave up less, that is the sign of a fair deal. I think that seems to elude a lot of the posters on here.

Reactions: McJedi

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yes but if your main rival and competitor in your conference is going after him, it might change things. Minnesota makes way more sense to me than Colorado. They can get Giroux 50% retained, send Rask + pick + prospect the other way (which they are loaded with). Minnesota can even recoup a first by moving Fiala in the offseason if they can't resign him due to their upcoming cap crunch. And Philly doesn't have to take a guy like Compher back for an extra year.

I think Giroux will return a decent haul. 1st + top prospect for a Top line C / W seems right? Two teams in the mix is more than enough to drive up the price.

I don't get this line of thinking on a guy like Compher. I mean, are the Flyers going to hit the reset button and be a factor starting next year or do they have a bunch of issues that need fixing that's going to take some time? I was under the impression it was the latter but please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow that team on a daily.

Acquiring a guy like Compher isn't the horrible atrocity many seem to believe. He's not a great fit on the Avs but he's still been able to produce at close to a .50 PPG clip being used mostly as a 3rd line forward for 3 of the past 4 years. Bednar uses him up and down the lineup and as a top-6 guy when there are injuries. I think he's much better as a winger than a center but he's versatile and can play any forward position.

I don't see why the Flyers wouldn't stick that guy in their Top-6 and see how he does... if it's a good fit, you can even sign him but if not, you can always ship him out at next year's deadline as a UFA for some assets.

I think players and how they fit into a lineup and in a team scheme in often overlooked. You guys dumped NAK which the Avs were happy to claim off waivers for free (not rubbing it in - just stating a fact) and he's been a perfect fit for the Avs lineup.

Reactions: Richard88

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Giroux is a pure rental for Minnesota since the Suter/Parise buyouts kick in next year while there’s a chance he could re-sign in Colorado.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah....I mean they still don't have Makar, Byram, Newhook, Olausson, Helleson plus other prospect and players in the system. As well as other draft picks.

Makar and Newhook IMO do not count. One is already on his post-ELC deal and we have to hope and pray Newhook somewhat pans out or we are left with no second line a year from now and no assets or capspace to fix it. He is basically our plan for the 2nd line next year for now.

I am also not as high on Olausson as others but we also basically need him to turn into a legit 2nd line rather sooner than later or things will get tough and if the Avs trade one of Barron/Helleson, they need the other one to pan out or they won't have anything to replace EJ a year from now which is why I wouldn't do that either.

The pandemic (aka the stagnant cap) has really screwed the Avs and the Kuemper deal has done the rest. IMO Sakic is a fool if he trades any of those pieces right now for a rental. Thats going to come back to bite them badly in the near future for a marginal upgrade to their chances to win a cup this season (lets say going from a 9% chance to a 9.5% chance. Or maybe from a 10 to at best 11 % chance). Just not worth it at all. Especially if teams are loading up via LTIR shenanigans like Vegas is doing right now.

That has nothing to do with Giroux or how he is valued by Flyers fans. I just don't believe that it makes any sense for the Avs to make a big move at the deadline. I even think it would be stupid unless we are talking about a situation where Giroux is using his NMC to severely decrease the return for the Flyers. But thats obviously not something that Flyers fans would (or should) be happy about so I don't think it merits a larger discussion in here. But thats the only way I would even consider a Giroux deal if I am Sakic.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Hopefully MN & STL drive up the price. He’s going to be very interesting to watch regardless of where he ends up. I expect Philly fans to be disappointed with the return

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Glad we agree. Me and other flyers fans are very content keeping G and letting him hit 1000 games rather than letting him go for peanuts. If Fletcher does that then he's gone.

Fletcher refusing Giroux's trade request over around a 15% difference in likelihood of the magic beans becoming NHL regulars is what I hope happens too. Then Giroux can go and really chase his cup come UFA signing day

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Giroux is a pure rental for Minnesota since the Suter/Parise buyouts kick in next year while there’s a chance he could re-sign in Colorado.

Don't the Avs have a significant number of players hitting UFA status after this season that they would want to re-sign before Giroux? I'm talking about Burakovsky, Kadri, Nichushkin and a goal tender.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I don't get this line of thinking on a guy like Compher. I mean, are the Flyers going to hit the reset button and be a factor starting next year or do they have a bunch of issues that need fixing that's going to take some time? I was under the impression it was the latter but please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow that team on a daily.

Acquiring a guy like Compher isn't the horrible atrocity many seem to believe. He's not a great fit on the Avs but he's still been able to produce at close to a .50 PPG clip being used mostly as a 3rd line forward for 3 of the past 4 years. Bednar uses him up and down the lineup and as a top-6 guy when there are injuries. I think he's much better as a winger than a center but he's versatile and can play any forward position.

I don't see why the Flyers wouldn't stick that guy in their Top-6 and see how he does... if it's a good fit, you can even sign him but if not, you can always ship him out at next year's deadline as a UFA for some assets.

I think players and how they fit into a lineup and in a team scheme in often overlooked. You guys dumped NAK which the Avs were happy to claim off waivers for free (not rubbing it in - just stating a fact) and he's been a perfect fit for the Avs lineup.

Playing a guy like Compher in your top 6 is not what a team trying to win does.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Don't the Avs have a significant number of players hitting UFA status after this season that they would want to re-sign before Giroux? I'm talking about Burakovsky, Kadri, Nichushkin and a goal tender.

Odds are atleast 2 or maybe even all of them will walk in the offseason. The Avs can't afford to pay them according to their production.

Thats why making a huge move especially for a rental right now sounds like such a horrible idea. They are going to need every asset possible in the summer to replace those guys.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hopefully MN & STL drive up the price. He’s going to be very interesting to watch regardless of where he ends up. I expect Philly fans to be disappointed with the return

I think this is a bluff by Chuck Fletcher...or maybe Chuck Fletcher talked Giroux into including St Louis and Minnesota. It's too coincidental that he just happens to want to go to Central teams, and specifically Colorado or it's rivals. I'm not sure why others aren't commenting how this is odd and suspicious. If you're Claude Giroux, why would want only go to the Central Division?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think this is a bluff by Chuck Fletcher...or maybe Chuck Fletcher talked Giroux into including St Louis and Minnesota. It's too coincidental that he just happens to want to go to Central teams, and specifically Colorado or it's rivals. I'm not sure why others aren't commenting how this is odd and suspicious. If you're Claude Giroux, why would want only go to the Central Division?

Because he would fit on either team? Speaking from the Wild perspective, I would think the idea of centering Kaprizov and Zuccarello would be pretty appealing for Giroux.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

I think Colorado makes a ton of sense and the possibility of centering either Kap/Zucc or Boldy/Fiala is probably enticing as well. I agree that there are probably other suitors outside the Central though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad