Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yep. But if flyers can get a 2023 1st and Barron better than just holding onto him till he is a ufa to prove a point. If they can’t get a 1st and a good prospect don’t move him. Ppl saying new hook or byram are out to lunch but there has to be a happy middle ground.
Sure. JTC, 2023 1st and Kaut for Giroux = Middle ground.

or 2023 3rd + Jost + Helleson = middle ground.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Yep. But if flyers can get a 2023 1st and Barron better than just holding onto him till he is a ufa to prove a point. If they can’t get a 1st and a good prospect don’t move him. Ppl saying new hook or byram are out to lunch but there has to be a happy middle ground.

1st and Barron is above the middle ground. As sublime as Giroux would be on Colorado, Avs fans would flip. That’s no 1st round pick for 2 years and a RHD prospect with top 4 potential, a very specifically valuable commodity in the NHL. If Philly holds on to him, it won’t be to prove any points, but because Claude would rather stay. And it’s fair to feel Fletcher and Sakic have a framework already in place for after his 1000th game as a Flyer, with Giroux doing the franchise a solid allowing his GM to at least pretend there’s a meaningful bidding war to keep Sakic honest. Of course it’s not 100% he goes to Colorado, but it seems that’s his preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
No it won't be. Toffoli is signed for 2 more years and Giroux is a rental.

Colorado can easily sign him for 2-3 more years.....if that happens do the Flyers get 3 1st rd picks? Having term is valuable to few teams these days (usually teams that have trouble retaining FA's or have to overpay for a UFA). Most teams are tight against the cap so they want cap space so they can choose whom they want to give it to.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
what part of rental and full nmc don’t you grasp? If he’ll only go to Avs or Wild, that’s one of two spots competing. Maybe.

Minnesotas GM has said the first is off the table and he’s not interested in rentals.

Flyers management is convinced they're two or three pieces away from competing. If they don't think they're getting one of those pieces they'll simply continue to make good faith effort to retain him. It's not as if anyone expects him to retire anytime soon or he won't be one of the premier free agents in a few months. Getting him in at 50% retention is the cheapest he's ever going to be and any team making a run is going to be cap conscious.
Age production and contract status all factors into his availability. Were he under contract another 3 years at his current hit or slightly less which is where I expect him to come in this summer we'd be talking about both newhook and Byram and not dismissing either as part of a realistic proposal.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Flyers management is convinced they're two or three pieces away from competing. If they don't think they're getting one of those pieces they'll simply continue to make good faith effort to retain him. It's not as if anyone expects him to retire anytime soon or he won't be one of the premier free agents in a few months. Getting him in at 50% retention is the cheapest he's ever going to be and any team making a run is going to be cap conscious.
Age production and contract status all factors into his availability. Were he under contract another 3 years at his current hit or slightly less which is where I expect him to come in this summer we'd be talking about both newhook and Byram and not dismissing either as part of a realistic proposal.

We?!

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Colorado can easily sign him for 2-3 more years.....if that happens do the Flyers get 3 1st rd picks? Having term is valuable to few teams these days (usually teams that have trouble retaining FA's or have to overpay for a UFA). Most teams are tight against the cap so they want cap space so they can choose whom they want to give it to.

This whole scenario is driven predominantly by the fact that CG has a NMC. If believed, he has said Colorado is his first choice. Let's start with that. And as I say this, I'm not dismissing potential opponents. Last year, the Avs swept the Blues. Are the Blues a Giroux away from defeating the Avs?

Lets move on to the Wild. I respect the Blues and the Wild both. But the Wild appear to be stronger than the Blues now. Having said that, adding Giroux doesn't automatically mean the defeat Colorado in a series. And this is said without the Avs making retaliatory moves.

In the macro, how does it serve Giroux to go to St Louis or Minnesota vs going to Colorado?

So Fletcher has said he would honor CGs request to be traded. It's funny how StL and MN are shoehorned into this, no? But who does that serve?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
This whole scenario is driven predominantly by the fact that CG has a NMC. If believed, he has said Colorado is his first choice. Let's start with that. And as I say this, I'm not dismissing potential opponents. Last year, the Avs swept the Blues. Are the Blues a Giroux away from defeating the Avs?

Lets move on to the Wild. I respect the Blues and the Wild both. But the Wild appear to be stronger than the Blues now. Having said that, adding Giroux doesn't automatically mean the defeat Colorado in a series. And this is said without the Avs making retaliatory moves.

In the macro, how does it serve Giroux to go to St Louis or Minnesota vs going to Colorado?

So Fletcher has said he would honor CGs request to be traded. It's funny how StL and MN are shoehorned into this, no? But who does that serve?

Don’t look too much into this. Dater is a hack.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021

Last year, I believe the Blues were second in the league in man games lost, and when the Playoffs rolled around, they were missing their leading scorer, their defense was composed of multiple AHL defensemen, and Colton Parayko dealing with season-long back issue.

Even making the playoffs was an achievement for them with all the injuries they had.

On even ground? I think the Blues can take Colorado, absolutely. They're built for the playoffs, when the score isn't 7-3, and the games are physical and mean.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Last year, I believe the Blues were second in the league in man games lost, and when the Playoffs rolled around, they were missing their leading scorer, their defense was composed of multiple AHL defensemen, and Colton Parayko dealing with season-long back issue.

Even making the playoffs was an achievement for them with all the injuries they had.

On even ground? I think the Blues can take Colorado, absolutely. They're built for the playoffs, when the score isn't 7-3, and the games are physical and mean.

This seems to be moving along quickly. Let's say CG agrees to go to StL or MN. It's not like the Avs can't also make moves. So then, how does this help CG?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
1st and Barron is above the middle ground. As sublime as Giroux would be on Colorado, Avs fans would flip. That’s no 1st round pick for 2 years and a RHD prospect with top 4 potential, a very specifically valuable commodity in the NHL. If Philly holds on to him, it won’t be to prove any points, but because Claude would rather stay. And it’s fair to feel Fletcher and Sakic have a framework already in place for after his 1000th game as a Flyer, with Giroux doing the franchise a solid allowing his GM to at least pretend there’s a meaningful bidding war to keep Sakic honest. Of course it’s not 100% he goes to Colorado, but it seems that’s his preference.
I can’t see a deal happening without at least a 1st. Fletcher would get chased out of town if he can’t at least get a 1st. Colorado may be his preference but getting a chance at the playoffs should be Giroux’s preference then being stuck on the team to prove a point because the most you offer is a 2nd. I mean Savard, Foligno all got 1sts.
So replace Barron with a B prospect which is common in a tdl for a player Giroux’s caliber. Colorado fans will be appeased with a cup or 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013

lol what world do you live in, 2021 avs vs blues was annihilation, you guys were missing perron, thats it. and you got swept. lets not pretend like you guys even put up a fight

sorry ill stay on topic, even with giroux i dont think st louis could take the avalanche. if we dont get giroux we get someone else. its that simple.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

No.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Lol :laugh:

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I can’t see a deal happening without at least a 1st. Fletcher would get chased out of town if he can’t at least get a 1st. Colorado may be his preference but getting a chance at the playoffs should be Giroux’s preference then being stuck on the team to prove a point because the most you offer is a 2nd. I mean Savard, Foligno all got 1sts.
So replace Barron with a B prospect which is common in a tdl for a player Giroux’s caliber. Colorado fans will be appeased with a cup or 2.

Ya your right, it’s not just he’s worth a 1st, it’s an important optic in moving your franchise player. Plus, Ben Chiarot will go for a first.

And it would not surprise me if it’s Claude Giroux giving Colorado 3 scoring lines that’s the difference. Of the half n0t controlled by the hockey gods anyways.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

Imagine thinking that one of the worst defensive teams in the league is built for the playoffs.

upload_2022-2-14_23-57-44.png

Yea. Your beloved Blues are just an absolute shit show on D. Bodes well for the playoffs.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Jost + Barron or 1st + Kaut/Bowers is probably middle ground by the sounds of it. It would be surprising if Sakic pulled it off without giving up one of Barron or a 1st. Can't see both Barron and a 1st being moved though.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Jost + Barron or 1st + Kaut/Bowers is probably middle ground by the sounds of it. It would be surprising if Sakic pulled it off without giving up one of Barron or a 1st. Can't see both Barron and a 1st being moved though.
He has no first this year and no way he’s giving up next years

probably a second and good prospect not great

Reactions: Patagonia

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Imagine having such a tight butt hole over Barron when you have makar toews and Girard all locked up and Byram in the wings. Goodness.

If the offer is mediocre from from Avs, then keeping G and letting him hit 1000 games with the Flyers is more preferential from the fans point of view

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Imagine not knowing that young ELC talent is paramount in remaing a contender. Toews is signed for a couple more seasons after this one, not until the end of time.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Imagine having such a tight butt hole over Barron when you have makar toews and Girard all locked up and Byram in the wings. Goodness.

If the offer is mediocre from from Avs, then keeping G and letting him hit 1000 games with the Flyers is more preferential from the fans point of view
Flyers are better off getting a second round pick and a good prospect then nothing

Avs giving up their 2023 first rounder in discussion with 2003 for a rental is comical

piss Giroux off and they have 0.0 chance resigning

tough spot for Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad