Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He has no first this year and no way he’s giving up next years

probably a second and good prospect not great

Sakic never offers a 1st unless backed into a situation of need ie. Kuemper. CG is a luxury to add more firepower to the 2nd highest scoring team. Defensively he does add to improve the 11th ranked team.

Not sure on emptying their farm for a UFA. Doubt they move Barron (future EJ replacement), OO or 1st. Jost, Compher, Bowers, Kaut, Ranta and Helleson are possibilities.

CG have a full NMC to limit trade choices. Sakic is not overpaying and wouldn’t be surprised the return is a lot less or another player is being considered if the demand is too high.

2nd + 2 B level prospects.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Imagine having such a tight butt hole over Barron when you have makar toews and Girard all locked up and Byram in the wings. Goodness.

If the offer is mediocre from from Avs, then keeping G and letting him hit 1000 games with the Flyers is more preferential from the fans point of view
Being prudent in trades is how Sakic got this team to where it's at. It wasn't so long ago that the Avs D was the laughing stock of the league.

Reactions: Patagonia

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sakic never offers a 1st unless backed into a situation of need ie. Kuemper. CG is a luxury to add more firepower to the 2nd highest scoring team. Defensively he does add to improve the 11th ranked team.

Not sure on emptying their farm for a UFA. Doubt they move Barron (future EJ replacement), OO or 1st. Jost, Compher, Bowers, Kaut, Ranta and Helleson are possibilities.

CG have a full NMC to limit trade choices. Sakic is not overpaying and wouldn’t be surprised the return is a lot less or another player is being considered if the demand is too high.

Boom !!! That’s fair

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Glad we agree. Me and other flyers fans are very content keeping G and letting him hit 1000 games rather than letting him go for peanuts. If Fletcher does that then he's gone.

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Glad we agree. Me and other flyers fans are very content keeping G and letting him hit 1000 games rather than letting him go for peanuts. If Fletcher does that then he's gone.

Hopefully he consults with you and the others before deciding on what to do. Play out a meaningless season and hit 1,000 games and watch him walk in the offseason or grab a little something before he walks because he's pissed about not getting the chance of chasing a cup.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I can’t see a deal happening without at least a 1st. Fletcher would get chased out of town if he can’t at least get a 1st…

Disagree. Get me Barron + Jost or another nice looking prospect from 2018-2021 ahead of a 1st and meh prospect.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
The Blues part seems bait to me. They already have more than enough forwards unless Giroux can also play defense lol

Reactions: Richard88

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs have plenty of firepower and doubt they would mortgage their future for another scorer.

If the price is too high, another option is a cheaper defensive player. Barron is too important to move as being a replacement for EJ and savings to extend Mack.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Hey guys, we’ve never seen this story before. Are you sure these all your spare parts and shit current/future 4th liners? Surely there are more you can throw into the mix as well?

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

absolutely laughable. Fletcher is an absolute disgrace of a GM and even he wouldn’t trade for that crap. You do realize there are other teams in the mix, right? Why do all of you Avs fans think you are the only contending team out there?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

If the Flyers trade Giroux for the 60-64th pick and the draft and an AHL level prospect, I will lose my mind. The only way that's possible in my opinion is if Giroux and Fletcher have a handshake deal that Giroux will return for cheap in the offseason if he gets to go to Colorado.

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
No way. When's the last time a team gave up their best prospect for a rental? Let alone their top 2 prospects? Silliness.
Doesn't matter. We're talking about a previous QMJHL rookie of the month, AHL Rookie of the month, Bobby Clarke trophy winner in 2011,12,14,16 and 18. Kidding aside, I want to see the Avs add him but they are not going to blow up the farm for one 34 year old pending UFA.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
what part of rental and full nmc don’t you grasp? If he’ll only go to Avs or Wild, that’s one of two spots competing. Maybe.

Minnesotas GM has said the first is off the table and he’s not interested in rentals.
Yes but if your main rival and competitor in your conference is going after him, it might change things. Minnesota makes way more sense to me than Colorado. They can get Giroux 50% retained, send Rask + pick + prospect the other way (which they are loaded with). Minnesota can even recoup a first by moving Fiala in the offseason if they can't resign him due to their upcoming cap crunch. And Philly doesn't have to take a guy like Compher back for an extra year.

I think Giroux will return a decent haul. 1st + top prospect for a Top line C / W seems right? Two teams in the mix is more than enough to drive up the price.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Doesn't matter. We're talking about a previous QMJHL rookie of the month, AHL Rookie of the month, Bobby Clarke trophy winner in 2011,12,14,16 and 18. Kidding aside, I want to see the Avs add him but they are not going to blow up the farm for one 34 year old pending UFA.

Realistically the quality of the player does not really matter if we are talking about rentals.
There is only so much people are willing to give up for one run.
Thats why last year when the market was dogshit a guy like Foligno got a 1st++ when the year before Hall (who was still considered a legit star players in this league) basically returned the same. At the deadline its less about the overall quality of a player and more about supply and demand.

The Avs don't have a 1st and Sakic would be an utter fool if he traded his 2023 1st for a rental right now. I personally really hope it does not come to that. Smart teams do not do stupid stuff like that.
If that means no Giroux, I am perfectly fine with that. I don't see the need for him anyways.
I think Sakic really needs all the assets possible to rebuild his 2nd line in the offseason when all of Kadri, Nichushkin and Burakovsky are UFAs and when the Avs probably don't have the capspace to keep more than 1 of those guys at most. Giving up a ton for a 34 year old rental is very counterintuitive to that.

Between Kaut, Bowers, Ranta and a few russian prospects, the Avs have some pieces that are not very valuable but should hold enough value to help upgrade the depth for the playoffs and realistically that is all the Avs should do considering how good the team already is and that they already made their big all-in move in the summer for Kuemper (which I still think was stupid but it is what it is).

Reactions: Patagonia

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
From the Avs board, FWIW, main points from Dater's ColHockeyNow paywall.

Usually I don't trust Dater at all, but there's been too much smoke and lots of talk from other sources stating mutual interest. Also sounds like Philly may be leaking division rivals as other options to try to drive up the price.

It's that smoke that's making him shoot a dart and hopes he hits. He hasn't called a TDL acquisition in 25+ years, I don't see why that would change now.

Don’t look too much into this. Dater is a hack.

Yup. Giroux might still very well end up getting traded to Colorado but it won't be because dater called anything. He's just reading the tea leaves like everyone else.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Yes but if your main rival and competitor in your conference is going after him, it might change things. Minnesota makes way more sense to me than Colorado. They can get Giroux 50% retained, send Rask + pick + prospect the other way (which they are loaded with). Minnesota can even recoup a first by moving Fiala in the offseason if they can't resign him due to their upcoming cap crunch. And Philly doesn't have to take a guy like Compher back for an extra year.

I think Giroux will return a decent haul. 1st + top prospect for a Top line C / W seems right? Two teams in the mix is more than enough to drive up the price.

It makes more sense for Claude Giroux or for Chuck Fletcher?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
It makes more sense for Claude Giroux or for Chuck Fletcher?
Just in terms of fit for both teams. Minnesota could use a Giroux who could play anywhere. They have assets, which is attractive for Philly. And they have some cap space this year to work him in. Like if they want him, they could easily beat an Avs offer and probably still not give up their best prospects because they have a very deep pool.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Extremely limited cap space, forward isn't a need for us, and we have a massive hole at LHD that needs attention first. Giroux for us would be a luxury, but you don't allocate significant resources to a luxury when you have a massive hole on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad