Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ranta has rocks for brains and if he doesn't make it as an NHLer(Fairly likely IMO) that will be the reason why. Physically he's a gifted player. Good skater, solid skill, good shot, and good size.

But he's very North-South and suffers from some pretty strong tunnel vision especially when he has the puck. If he had decent IQ I'd say he would already be a 3rd liner for the Avs.

His top, top end upside if everything goes right for him was probably what Chris Krieder had been for the Rangers for a long time. Essentially a ~20-25G, 45-50 point complementary middle 6 sort.

But again IMO his brain is going to hold him back from reaching that level, even just reaching the NHL is gonna be tough for him with how things are going right now.
I actually disagree, I think Ranta's physical tools are what will make him a likely NHLer. He will top out as a middle 6 winger if/when he does, but if a coach tells him to keep his game simple, he will be fine. He's got all the physical attributes scouts like in a hockey player, so he will definitely get the benefit of the doubt based on those. A similar (but different) example would be Zadorov. With a better hockey brain, he'd be one of the best D in the league, but that's his limiting factor. Same with Ranta.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I actually disagree, I think Ranta's physical tools are what will make him a likely NHLer. He will top out as a middle 6 winger if/when he does, but if a coach tells him to keep his game simple, he will be fine. He's got all the physical attributes scouts like in a hockey player, so he will definitely get the benefit of the doubt based on those. A similar (but different) example would be Zadorov. With a better hockey brain, he'd be one of the best D in the league, but that's his limiting factor. Same with Ranta.

Let's hope Philly sees it your way.

That way in 2-3 years when Sampo is back in Finland it won't matter to us. :sarcasm:

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone

Agreed on Ranta

and if Zadorov had hockey IQ, he would be Chris Pronger

Reactions: The Moops

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
For those who don't know what happened. It was reported by multiple insiders, including Friedman, that Sakic had a deal in place with Fred Anderson as a backup if Grubauer walked. Grubauer took forever to make a decsion, as deadline day went on Freddy got nervous and signed with his backup team, then Grubauer got a last minute high offer from Seattle and bailed.

Sakic literally lost his plan A and plan B in less than an hour, which is what forced him into a corner to pay what he had to pay to beat out Edmonton for Kuemper. And looking at the goaltending Edmonton is getting right now, thank god he did. The Avs can't afford to wast a prime cup contention year by not having a starting goaltender like Edmonton currently is.

So lets stop assuming this where Sakic wanted to be with all this.
Colorado were rumoured to be in on Kuemper a week before the UFA day, and Sakic said in his interview when asked about the Kuemper trade that the price all along was 1st + Timmins. So he knew all along that Kuemper was a legit option if Grubauer bailed, it was just unfortunate that Andersen got panicky.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yes he is lol. 3-4th liners paid 4.5 M a year are negative value

He is overpaid as a 4th and arguably a 3rd liner. However he is still useful in the middle six on a bottom 5 or even bottom 10 team. He can play wing or Center and wouldnt be a terrible stop gap for a team lacking middle six forwards.
Compher's salary this year is indeed a bit inflated at $4.5m, but by the deadline 80% of that will already be paid (only $900k remaining). Next year his salary also drops back to $3.5m. Needless to say there shouldn't be any problem moving him at the deadline or in the offseason for an asset if needed.

For reference The Athletic's GSVA metrics below indicate that he's actually outperforming his contract right now. A versatile RHS 3rd liner who scores at a ~35 point pace while playing in all situations and is winning over 50% of his faceoffs would obviously be a positive asset on a lot of teams. It just so happens that the Avs are a deep and cap-strapped team with redundancy at 3RW given the emergence of O'Connor at 1/3 of Compher's caphit, so naturally Compher's would be a natural contract to move if caproom needs to be created.

upload_2022-2-12_23-19-24.png

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
HFAvs Pre-season Prospect Rankings
D Bowen Byram
C Alex Newhook
D Justin Barron
RW Oskar Olausson
RW Martin Kaut
D Drew Helleson
C Jean-Luc Foudy
LW Sampo Ranta
D Sean Behrens
G Justus Annunen
C Mikhail Maltsev
C Shane Bowers
C Colby Ambrosio
RW Nikolai Kovalenko
RW Alex Beaucage
D Daniil Zhuravlyov
C Andreas Wingerli
C Andrei Buyalski
G Trent Miner
LW Tyler Weiss
D Nick Leivermann
D Nate Clurman
C Matthew Stienburg- his team did not play last season (covid), would be much higher because he is having a solid year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Avs fans have Ranta ranked higher than Kaut at this point?

I think yes but may be some recency bias involved since Kaut has had several seasons to try and carve out a role on the Avs while Ranta is a newer face. Neither has the offensive mind to be a top 6 player so with either you're looking at best at a middle-6 type. Still solid enough prospects who have both had some time at the NHL and you would have hopes for being regulars at some point but if either is anything more than a "cherry on top" of a meatier deal for Giroux, then Fletcher should be fired on a rocket into the sun. Every team has a handful of Kaut's and Ranta's down on their farm. It never hurts to add a few more because some are gonna make a breakthrough. But they aren't exactly exciting pieces.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Ranta is dog shit. Another Lehtera. Just a big dumb body. Which is exactly why I expect Chuck will make him a centrepiece of the trade.
This. Ranta and jost and a 1st only for those two player to be waived next season and the 1st to be close to last pick of the draft and a player that becomes a 4th liner if we’re lucky.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can’t tell you how bizarre this is to witness as a Minnesota fan lol

when I saw Gerry Mayhew on the Flyers roster, I knew it was bad

You think that's bad? Mayhew's spent time on our 3rd line, and was one of the players specifically called out by the CEO as impressing them in the "we're not planning to fix anything, actually, we think we're doing a bang-up job" press conference.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If it’s any consolation to Flyers fans, you should far prefer the Avs 2023 1st over this years (which obviously was already dealt). We know for certain the Avs 2022 pick is gonna be at the very very end of the draft and this years draft crop - while I think deeper than many people are thinking - doesn’t look like a banner year.

2023? Sure the Avs figure to be a power again but you never know what can happen. And the 2023 draft crop is undoubtedly a more impressive crop than this years.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Where do Avs’ fans have Foudy and Behrens?

AVs fans view both player playing different positions equally.

Foudy is slick playmaker with outstanding skating and passing ability. Defensively weaker average IQ, needs 2-3 years. Due to COVID playing well against much older players in the AHL. Behrens is a LHD having an outstanding NCAA season averaging 1 PPG. High IQ and strong defensively. Average skating is a shortcoming and could really hurt a smallish player in the NHL dropped his draft ranking.

Flyers should choose Foudy. I personally believe Behrens is the greater talent, but plays a similar game to York and there is no need for another LHD. Speed and strong skating dominate the league. Foudy properly coached could be a significant addition.

Reactions: TheKingPin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad