Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Then where do you fit kaut in flyers wing depth? I don't think he stands out enough in a crowded field there. Center and rhd are areas of need so that's where I've focused my interest and so has much of this discussion
I completely agree Kaut doesn't get it done. He's like the 10th best prospect we have at this point, I would think his 1st round shine has really gone away now and he's a dime a dozen sort.

But someone like Justin Barron or Drew Helleson gets it done IMO. Both guys are real solid RHD that project as Top 4 sorts. And both have different strengths and weaknesses.

Helleson is much safer, better defensively, and the bigger Dman. But he doesn't have the overall offensive upside Barron does. He does have a real solid 1st pass and he has some offense to his game but not as much as Barron. Though both guys I think end up more two-way then either pure Defensive or pure offensive.

The narrative from Flyers fans in this thread so far has basically been that Barron is the much better prospect and that he's well above Helleson but that really isn't true. You ask any Avs fan, and most of them will tell you they're very close to each other and some will prefer Helleson over Barron.

Helleson/Barron are the Avs prospects that compare best to the prospects most likely available from teams like NYR/MIN/TOR/CAR IMO. Kaut is not a centerpiece that gets it done at this point. Hell I think Ranta is a better prospect at this point as well, someone it sounds like Philly are particularly high on.

Reactions: Richard88

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
It’ll be Barron, Compher and a 1st. A big RHD with little to no hockey sense, a dime a dozen and overpayed 4th line centre and a high first, which truth to be told, is an awful return for a guy like G. But Cuck Fletcher gets absolutely wheeled in deals, so that is what we are expecting as Flyers fans today.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I still think the Flyers get less than this. The discussion is not about how good Giroux is, but the fact he is a rental and Chuck Fletcher is the GM. If I am generous to Chuck, the pay will be a first rounder and mediocre prospect or cap dump. Flyers will get a Ryan Hartman(circa 2018)/Matt Ellison type player, a player who if playing on Connor McDavid's line would get 20 goals, but otherwise will get 5. There will be no quality prospect going to the Flyers.

I still doubt the Flyers get a first rounder. Again, it is not about how good Giroux is, but how bad Chuck Fletcher is.
Sadly this is probably the most accurate post in the thread

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It’ll be Barron, Compher and a 1st. A big RHD with little to no hockey sense, a dime a dozen and overpayed 4th line centre and a high first, which truth to be told, is an awful return for a guy like G. But Cuck Fletcher gets absolutely wheeled in deals, so that is what we are expecting as Flyers fans today.

No, that would be a solid deal for the Flyers and Fletcher. That is fair value for any UFA rental.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Fletcher really is as bad a trader as Flyers fans are insisting he is, I wouldn't be surprised to see the first round pick end up being conditional.

Something like where Colorado has to win 2 rounds in the playoffs in order for it to be a 1st round pick, if they dont win two rounds the pick ends up a 2023 2nd instead.

I really dont think Fletcher will be that dumb, but seems Flyers fans dont trust him at all so who knows what this trade ends up being. Fair value would be Barron + 1st + another small piece(Likely Compher or Jost for salary purposes). We'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I still doubt the Flyers get a first rounder. Again, it is not about how good Giroux is, but how bad Chuck Fletcher is.

I think they get the first, it’s an important optic when trading a franchise player, but I’m with you. It’s also about Giroux having essentially full control. He could tell Fletcher that’s the one team I’ll pack bags for and he’d be handcuffed in asking for a top prospect too. He could also try and do Philly a solid by telling Fletcher to allow a bidding war first, in which case we pay the full price.

But as Ararana said, this feels very much like it is actually happening. And I’m jazzed.

Reactions: xAvsx89

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barron is a good prospect and close to NHL ready. I can't imagine Ranta having very high value. The skating, physicality and size are good assets and he scored goals in the NCAA but hasn't been able to put it together in the NHL/AHL. He's a bit of a project.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
And which specific playoff teams might make that offer, and what's the + they would realistically add that's so much better than Kaut? Looking at the current playoff teams, I'm not seeing many high end youngsters who aren't already on the NHL rosters that are significantly better than Kaut.

And, maybe those guys won't be traded. But, until we're closer to the TDL and see how things play out, they are still on the list of potential targets.

A 2nd round pick would be better, IMO.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If Fletcher really is as bad a trader as Flyers fans are insisting he is, I wouldn't be surprised to see the first round pick end up being conditional.

Something like where Colorado has to win 2 rounds in the playoffs in order for it to be a 1st round pick, if they dont win two rounds the pick ends up a 2023 2nd instead.

I really dont think Fletcher will be that dumb, but seems Flyers fans dont trust him at all so who knows what this trade ends up being. Fair value would be Barron + 1st + another small piece(Likely Compher or Jost for salary purposes). We'll just have to wait and see.
I can see the first being conditional. Though that and the cap coming back could justify a b level prospect

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ranta has rocks for brains and if he doesn't make it as an NHLer(Fairly likely IMO) that will be the reason why. Physically he's a gifted player. Good skater, solid skill, good shot, and good size.

But he's very North-South and suffers from some pretty strong tunnel vision especially when he has the puck. If he had decent IQ I'd say he would already be a 3rd liner for the Avs.

His top, top end upside if everything goes right for him was probably what Chris Krieder had been for the Rangers for a long time. Essentially a ~20-25G, 45-50 point complementary middle 6 sort.

But again IMO his brain is going to hold him back from reaching that level, even just reaching the NHL is gonna be tough for him with how things are going right now.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Ranta has rocks for brains and if he doesn't make it as an NHLer(Fairly likely IMO) that will be the reason why. Physically he's a gifted player. Good skater, solid skill, good shot, and good size.

But he's very North-South and suffers from some pretty strong tunnel vision especially when he has the puck. If he had decent IQ I'd say he would already be a 3rd liner for the Avs.

His top, top end upside if everything goes right for him was probably what Chris Krieder had been for the Rangers for a long time. Essentially a ~20-25G, 45-50 point complementary middle 6 sort.

But again IMO his brain is going to hold him back from reaching that level, even just reaching the NHL is gonna be tough for him with how things are going right now.

It’s his first year pro.. jumping the gun a bit here, although I do agree his IQ is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad