Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This thread is going in circles. I like Giroux but our top 6 is fine. We have no problem scoring goals. Our priority should be a #4 D and help with the bottom 6. That’s what we need.
I agree a top 4 dman is a greater need but adding another top 6 guy like Giroux is also massive. We all saw the depth scoring dry up against the KNights last season. Yes, Kadri suspension hurt but it wasn't like Kadri was lighting the world on fire at the time. Joe has a lot of work today still.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I agree a top 4 dman is a greater need but adding another top 6 guy like Giroux is also massive. We all saw the depth scoring dry up against the KNights last season. Yes, Kadri suspension hurt but it wasn't like Kadri was lighting the world on fire at the time. Joe has a lot of work today still.

Take care of needs first in terms of greatest priority. We saw where being down EJ and Byram got the Avs against the VGK last PO. Get the serviceable top 4 Dman first.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
This thread is going in circles. I like Giroux but our top 6 is fine. We have no problem scoring goals. Our priority should be a #4 D and help with the bottom 6. That’s what we need.
Getting a player like Giroux helps the bottom 6. You either move someone from your top 6 (Nuke or Burkie) to the bottom 6, thus improving it.
Or you play Giroux on the "3rd" line with Newhook, and basically create a second "2nd" line, thus again improving your bottom 6.

Reactions: Richard88

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Yeah but we only have so much room. To get both you are clearing a ton of salary or getting another team involved and giving up more assets. We could use a third goalie option too but we can only do so much.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Getting a player like Giroux helps the bottom 6. You either move someone from your top 6 (Nuke or Burkie) to the bottom 6, thus improving it.
Or you play Giroux on the "3rd" line with Newhook, and basically create a second "2nd" line, thus again improving your bottom 6.
I mean that’s true. If Nuke slid down yes that improves the bottom 6. If Bura slides down no it’s the same or worse. We aren’t acquiring Giroux to play on the 3rd. In fact I doubt Kadri goes down either. I’d bet Kadri stays at 2C with Nuke and Giroux on the wings. Or shake up the first line. Anyway my point is getting one or two strong defensive forwards in the bottom 6 to help on PK would be cheaper and allow more room to get an actual good upgrade on D.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I mean that’s true. If Nuke slid down yes that improves the bottom 6. If Bura slides down no it’s the same or worse. We aren’t acquiring Giroux to play on the 3rd. In fact I doubt Kadri goes down either. I’d bet Kadri stays at 2C with Nuke and Giroux on the wings. Or shake up the first line. Anyway my point is getting one or two strong defensive forwards in the bottom 6 to help on PK would be cheaper and allow more room to get an actual good upgrade on D.
People laughed at the Pens putting Kessel on the "3rd" line. That team was able to win b2b. Point is, if you get Giroux, you either have one of your current top 6 players or Giroux (a top line player) elevate your "3rd" line into a line that has a good chance of being better than the majority of 3rd lines in the league. And that is invaluable and goes a long way in being able match a high end line versus a bottom line for the majority of a game.
And ya, Burkie can be very hit or miss. But he is a player that is able to generate his own offense, you add that to a 3rd line and suddenly you have 3 lines that at any point can push the offensive play and put up points.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
People laughed at the Pens putting Kessel on the "3rd" line. That team was able to win b2b. Point is, if you get Giroux, you either have one of your current top 6 players or Giroux (a top line player) elevate your "3rd" line into a line that has a good chance of being better than the majority of 3rd lines in the league. And that is invaluable and goes a long way in being able match a high end line versus a bottom line for the majority of a game.
And ya, Burkie can be very hit or miss. But he is a player that is able to generate his own offense, you add that to a 3rd line and suddenly you have 3 lines that at any point can push the offensive play and put up points.
I hear you. Bura is a lot like Kessel. He just hasn’t really been able to take advantage of the lower quality of competition when he has been demoted. Maybe they put Nuke back on the 3rd and leave Bura with Kadri and the new guy and hope there is chemistry.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Yes he is lol. 3-4th liners paid 4.5 M a year are negative value
He is overpaid as a 4th and arguably a 3rd liner. However he is still useful in the middle six on a bottom 5 or even bottom 10 team. He can play wing or Center and wouldnt be a terrible stop gap for a team lacking middle six forwards.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If any team offers a 1st "+", it's almost a guarantee that the "+" will be more than Kaut. Kaut is basically an interesting reclamation project; he doesn't move the needle much.

Regarding your second point, Dallas is one position out of a WC spot with games in hand (Pavelski), and rumor has it San Jose is trying to re-sign Hertl. It's very possible one or both of those players won't be traded.

And which specific playoff teams might make that offer, and what's the + they would realistically add that's so much better than Kaut? Looking at the current playoff teams, I'm not seeing many high end youngsters who aren't already on the NHL rosters that are significantly better than Kaut.

And, maybe those guys won't be traded. But, until we're closer to the TDL and see how things play out, they are still on the list of potential targets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Compher makes the most sense, since moving him should make enough space for Giroux at 50%. Not sure who else they can send back to make the cap space that wouldn't leave a bigger hole in the lineup.

Compher might have to be part of the deal in some way, but 1st + Ranta is also absolutely not enough to get the deal done either. It will take another good prospect as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And which specific playoff teams might make that offer, and what's the + they would realistically add that's so much better than Kaut? Looking at the current playoff teams, I'm not seeing many high end youngsters who aren't already on the NHL rosters that are significantly better than Kaut.

And, maybe those guys won't be traded. But, until we're closer to the TDL and see how things play out, they are still on the list of potential targets.

Then you are massively overrating Kaut

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think it's safe to assume one of Barron or Helleson is going the other way unless Giroux says he isn't going anywhere but Colorado. It seems that both he and the Flyers have a good relationship, so I doubt he hamstrings the process too much.

If Joe can pull it off with just Ranta + 1st + Compher and something, then amazing for him.

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
Is Giroux used more on the wing than C lately?

He's been mostly on the wing for the past few seasons, but he is a faceoff guy that's been one of the best during that time and before. Can also take faceoffs on both the powerplay and penalty kill since he's good at both spots

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
I'm really hoping Giroux goes to Colorado because I like that org and team, and it's gonna be for more than what people here think he's worth because all these dumbasses are out to lunch with their genius opinions lol

Kaut or Helleson isnt a main piece for Giroux, he's better than that lol

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad