Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ghost didn't drop off significantly, either. He just had a moronic coaching staff. Proof: his performance this year.

Compher worth a third? Not in my eyes. Tbh I value NAK more highly than Compher. But NHL men love their vets so it's certainly possible.

He went from .83 PPG in 2017-18, down to below 0.5 PPG for three straight seasons, with 2019-20 being especially unproductive (0.29 PPG). Maybe it was the coaching staff not using his properly, but this drastic dip in production is why his value tanked and you had to pay to get rid of him.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
And I'd probably agree with you on that valuation. What I don't agree with is the claim that the Avs have to pay extra to include him in a trade. He's a minor positive addition to the trade, not a worthless cap dump that requires additional compensation.
The issue is trying to shoe horn JTC into a deal with the Flyers for Giroux. So why is G available? He's an UFA on a team that is under performing and look like they could be starting a rebuild. In that circumstance JTC has very little value to the Flyers. Why do the Flyers want a 30 point bottom 6 winger making $3.5? I would assume they would rather not equate value to JTC in exchange for Giroux. So in this scenario JTC would be seen as not part of the rebuild, but eating $3.5 in cap. So expecting the inclusion of JTC to reduce the other assets required to acquire Giroux is (IMO) a poor premise. If the Avs want to clear the cap of JTC's contract, I feel they would be better off trading him in a different deal. I think this is the only way he is seen as an asset as opposed to an unwanted cap balancing piece.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
For those who don't know what happened. It was reported by multiple insiders, including Friedman, that Sakic had a deal in place with Fred Anderson as a backup if Grubauer walked. Grubauer took forever to make a decsion, as deadline day went on Freddy got nervous and signed with his backup team, then Grubauer got a last minute high offer from Seattle and bailed.

Sakic literally lost his plan A and plan B in less than an hour, which is what forced him into a corner to pay what he had to pay to beat out Edmonton for Kuemper. And looking at the goaltending Edmonton is getting right now, thank god he did. The Avs can't afford to wast a prime cup contention year by not having a starting goaltender like Edmonton currently is.

So lets stop assuming this where Sakic wanted to be with all this.

Ya. I can't blame grubs or Freddy though. The buck stops with Joe and he should have given grubs a hard deadline. Kuemper has been a good bailout move. Glad Joe had a plan C, even though you never want to get to that point.

Reactions: Richard88

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He went from .83 PPG in 2017-18, down to below 0.5 PPG for three straight seasons, with 2019-20 being especially unproductive (0.29 PPG). Maybe it was the coaching staff not using his properly, but this drastic dip in production is why his value tanked and you had to pay to get rid of him.
Probably the most surface level evaluation of his play within the context of the team and coaches but I'll let it pass since you're not a flyers fan. You'll just have to trust us on this one. I appreciate you thinking you have a better grasp of the entirety of the situation than us.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The issue is trying to shoe horn JTC into a deal with the Flyers for Giroux. So why is G available? He's an UFA on a team that is under performing and look like they could be starting a rebuild. In that circumstance JTC has very little value to the Flyers. Why do the Flyers want a 30 point bottom 6 winger making $3.5? I would assume they would rather not equate value to JTC in exchange for Giroux. So in this scenario JTC would be seen as not part of the rebuild, but eating $3.5 in cap. So expecting the inclusion of JTC to reduce the other assets required to acquire Giroux is (IMO) a poor premise. If the Avs want to clear the cap of JTC's contract, I feel they would be better off trading him in a different deal. I think this is the only way he is seen as an asset as opposed to an unwanted cap balancing piece.

How are the Flyers going to get a good return from a legitimate contender without taking cap space back? Are they really going to refuse to trade Giroux because they need to take someone back they don't necessarily want in order to facilitate the trade and get a 1st + prospect? If the best offer they get is 1st + Kaut, what leverage do they really have to demand more to take back the cap balancing piece that gets them that return?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Probably the most surface level evaluation of his play within the context of the team and coaches but I'll let it pass since you're not a flyers fan. You'll just have to trust us on this one. I appreciate you thinking you have a better grasp of the entirety of the situation than us.

Sorry, I didn't realize I needed to be a Flyers fan to recognize that offensive defensemen lose a lot of their value when they aren't scoring, regardless of the reasons for their lower production. But, if his reduced production isn't why his value around the league tanked, please feel free to explain why no one wanted him and you had to pay Arizona to take him for free.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the best offer they get is 1st + Kaut, what leverage do they really have
This is nothing close to the best offer the Flyers will get for Giroux. He's likely the best "rental" being dealt at the deadline in a long time and the Avs 1st will be at the end of the round. Look, I'm not a "Byram or Newhook must be included" guy, but if the Avs want Giroux they will need to bundle their 1st with TWO very good prospects like Barron and Olausson. Let's be honest, even as a vet, Giroux has carried the Flyers for years. And he just showed, that when surrounded by talent, he can still be an awesome player. If the Avs land Giroux without removing anything from their roster, they are a clear favorite to win a Cup. And, if Giroux is a great fit there, I have a feeling the Avs and he could workout a fair 2-3 year extension so he can be a part of a multi-year run.

But there is ZERO chance that a late first and Kaut is the best offer the Flyers will receive for Giroux lol.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
How are the Flyers going to get a good return from a legitimate contender without taking cap space back? Are they really going to refuse to trade Giroux because they need to take someone back they don't necessarily want in order to facilitate the trade and get a 1st + prospect? If the best offer they get is 1st + Kaut, what leverage do they really have to demand more to take back the cap balancing piece that gets them that return?
You have a lot of what ifs and you are acting as though I have any say. But if I'm the Flyers I offer to retain salary (at a price) in order to fit G under the cap. If the offer is a 1st in 2023 and Kaut, I definitely wouldn't take JTC as well, that's not an overly enticing deal. But if JTC has to be included, I ask for an additional pick to take that on. I also didn't say they wouldn't take cap back, I stated that the deal would need to be the value of Giroux (1st and prospect) + the cost to absorb additional cap, so maybe that's a lesser prospect of another pick (teams trade 3rds and 4ths for retention). There is also the option to include a 3rd team for some retention, but again that usually costs a pick. I think the Avs best option would be to trade JTC for whatever and not try to force him into a deal for Giroux, unless the Flyers see value in JTC in which case its a win-win.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
This is nothing close to the best offer the Flyers will get for Giroux. He's likely the best "rental" being dealt at the deadline in a long time and the Avs 1st will be at the end of the round. Look, I'm not a "Byram or Newhook must be included" guy, but if the Avs want Giroux they will need to bundle their 1st with TWO very good prospects like Barron and Olausson. Let's be honest, even as a vet, Giroux has carried the Flyers for years. And he just showed, that when surrounded by talent, he can still be an awesome player. If the Avs land Giroux without removing anything from their roster, they are a clear favorite to win a Cup. And, if Giroux is a great fit there, I have a feeling the Avs and he could workout a fair 2-3 year extension so he can be a part of a multi-year run.

But there is ZERO chance that a late first and Kaut is the best offer the Flyers will receive for Giroux lol.

Which other legit contender is going to offer so much more than 1st + Kaut that the Flyers will have leverage to demand 1st + Barron + Olausson? Or even have the ability to move enough cap space to make it work?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I agree with this. If Giroux ends up going to Colorado, at least one of Barron/Helleson/Olausson will be going the other way. Kaut is no where near that tier of prospect.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Which other legit contender is going to offer so much more than 1st + Kaut that the Flyers will have leverage to demand 1st + Barron + Olausson? Or even have the ability to move enough cap space to make it work?

Anyone? A 1st + Kaut is a junk offer. Kaut can't even beat out Dylan Sikura as an AHL call up.

As @Ararana said, Philly gets at least one of Barron/Helleson/Olausson.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You have a lot of what ifs and you are acting as though I have any say. But if I'm the Flyers I offer to retain salary (at a price) in order to fit G under the cap. If the offer is a 1st in 2023 and Kaut, I definitely wouldn't take JTC as well, that's not an overly enticing deal. But if JTC has to be included, I ask for an additional pick to take that on. I also didn't say they wouldn't take cap back, I stated that the deal would need to be the value of Giroux (1st and prospect) + the cost to absorb additional cap, so maybe that's a lesser prospect of another pick (teams trade 3rds and 4ths for retention). There is also the option to include a 3rd team for some retention, but again that usually costs a pick. I think the Avs best option would be to trade JTC for whatever and not try to force him into a deal for Giroux, unless the Flyers see value in JTC in which case its a win-win.

Considering that no one knows what will happen, I think we're all dealing with a lot of what ifs here.

And, you're welcome to ask for whatever you want. My question is, why would anyone give you what you want when you have very little leverage to be able to make demands? Is there a contender who doesn't need to send cap back that gives the Flyers leverage to ask for more assets to take cap back? Or is there a contender offering so much more than 1st + Kaut that they have any leverage to say it has to be 1st + Barron + Olausson? Maybe the prospect will need to be better than Kaut, but how much better is going to depend on what other offers are on the table, not how much more the Flyers want.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada

It very well might be, basically 2 first round picks for a rental. Giroux probably has 1 or 2 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
The ideal scenario for flyers fans is sakic deals Compher for cap space and a pick and Fletcher gets that little extra in kaut out of him for tipping his hand. I have absolutely no confidence in Fletcher to do that but hey since we're daydreaming about flexing the nmc why not throw it out there from the other side

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Anyone? A 1st + Kaut is a junk offer. Kaut can't even beat out Dylan Sikura as an AHL call up.

As @Ararana said, Philly gets at least one of Barron/Helleson/Olausson.

Is Tampa going to beat that offer, despite having zero cap space? What about Vegas, who already needs to clear space for Eichel? Who does Florida offer, and how do they make cap space? Or Carolina? Or Toronto?

And, I'm well aware that it's a low ball offer, but why offer more before there's even another competitive bidder? It's not like they can keep him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
York is currently contributing at the NHL level and a key part of plans going forward. He doesn't have Byram's upside but I see him as the only other one in the group who projects as a top pairing guy.
Barron has Middle pairing upside and that's very valuable but comparing his ahl production to a devastated phantoms team isn't something I'd put much weight on
Avs AHL team is pretty average. Barron doing pretty well there. Nothing spectacular though.

Reactions: histickingintheslot

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Considering that no one knows what will happen, I think we're all dealing with a lot of what ifs here.

And, you're welcome to ask for whatever you want. My question is, why would anyone give you what you want when you have very little leverage to be able to make demands? Is there a contender who doesn't need to send cap back that gives the Flyers leverage to ask for more assets to take cap back? Or is there a contender offering so much more than 1st + Kaut that they have any leverage to say it has to be 1st + Barron + Olausson? Maybe the prospect will need to be better than Kaut, but how much better is going to depend on what other offers are on the table, not how much more the Flyers want.
You seem like there are only 2 options - trade to the Avs for 1 + Kaut or trade to the Avs for 1 + Barron + Olausson. There is an entire world of possibilities that aren't those 2 options. The issue is you want to offer low ball, fans of Philly (not me by the way) want the moon and the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. But you seem hell bent on just looking at your wanted return, and that doesn't allow for much discussion. Giroux probably costs a 1st + more than Kaut with retention. Kaut is the type of asset a team gets for retention. But if you are going to insist that a low ball is all you'd fake offer and there is no changing your mind, just leave the forum. You aren't going to convince the majority of Philly fans that your offer is enough. Many have explained why and yet you want to go back with your exact same argument. We get it, you don't think there is going to be a bidding war for Giroux so you will only offer an underpay. Now I'm sure teams like Boston, Carolina, St Louis, Minnesota would all love to add a Giroux to their roster at the deadline. Some have more cap than Colorado, some have less - With the exception of Carolina and Colorado, all have this years 1st round pick, and all have prospects better than Kaut.

No one knows what these players will go for hence the discussion board. It feels like you want posters to just agree with you and sign off.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It very well might be, basically 2 first round picks for a rental. Giroux probably has 1 or 2 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to
There may be some debate if Kaut is worth a 1st right now. If I'm a team willing to trade my 1st round pick, Kaut wouldn't be on my list of assets I would be looking to acquire.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Is Tampa going to beat that offer, despite having zero cap space? What about Vegas, who already needs to clear space for Eichel? Who does Florida offer, and how do they make cap space? Or Carolina? Or Toronto?

And, I'm well aware that it's a low ball offer, but why offer more before there's even another competitive bidder? It's not like they can keep him.

Colorado's cap space is just as bad as most of those teams, so I'm not sure why you think there won't be other bidders.

Just like the Avalanche can get double retention on Giroux and deal out Compher's salary, Toronto can do the same thing using Kerfoot. The Wild can do that with Rask. The Rangers have cap space.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
I didn't know about the Freddy Andersen Plan A...

That certainly makes it a whole lot more understandable...

But yeah, it was certainly less than ideal giving up all that trade capital in the off-season, because we sure could use it right now

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I didn't know about the Freddy Andersen Plan A...

That certainly makes it a whole lot more understandable...

But yeah, it was certainly less than ideal giving up all that trade capital in the off-season, because we sure could use it right now

Yep. Joe should have just opted to move on from Grubauer before UFA started and jumped on Freddy A as soon as Free Agency opened up. We'd be infinitely better prepared for the deadline right now.

Not that Andersen is a better goalie then Kuemper, they're basically cut from the same cloth and even have similar injury concerns. But Andersen would have been free and the 1st round pick plus Timmins would help us a lot right now with this deadline.

That exact same package probably gets us Giroux or pretty close.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Colorado's cap space is just as bad as most of those teams, so I'm not sure why you think there won't be other bidders.

Just like the Avalanche can get double retention on Giroux and deal out Compher's salary, Toronto can do the same thing using Kerfoot. The Wild can do that with Rask. The Rangers have cap space.

I've never suggested there won't be other bidders. I'm simply suggesting that the Avs should wait for those bidders to show up to the party before we start bidding against what we imagine they might do. Because Philly probably won't keep Giroux and will be looking for the best available offer, we don't need to beat their reserve price, just the next highest bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad