Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Some would say the opposite, i.e. that Barron is the one who still needs another 1-2 years in the AHL to work on his defense, while Helleson plays a mature defensive game and could slot into the NHL today and not look to out of place.

Yeah, that's the point being made. There's pros and cons for each of them, so it really comes down to preference about which one to keep. I think the term "close enough where it makes no difference" might be fitting here.

Reactions: Richard88

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Wouldn't it be nice to have Timmins and a 1st as possible trade pieces in this discussion?

SMH,

This is when the bungles Sakic made with Grubauer in the off-season come back to bite us...

For those who don't know what happened. It was reported by multiple insiders, including Friedman, that Sakic had a deal in place with Fred Anderson as a backup if Grubauer walked. Grubauer took forever to make a decsion, as deadline day went on Freddy got nervous and signed with his backup team, then Grubauer got a last minute high offer from Seattle and bailed.

Sakic literally lost his plan A and plan B in less than an hour, which is what forced him into a corner to pay what he had to pay to beat out Edmonton for Kuemper. And looking at the goaltending Edmonton is getting right now, thank god he did. The Avs can't afford to wast a prime cup contention year by not having a starting goaltender like Edmonton currently is.

So lets stop assuming this where Sakic wanted to be with all this.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
I wouldn't touch Claude Giroux with a 10 foot pole, everything about him screams playoff failure , don't want that kind of guy with your young guns in the locker room.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

The day he gets traded you, the Flyers fans should rejoice since the rebuild has officially started then. No need to keep dead weight on your shoulders that hasn't been able to do anything relevant for the past 8 years or so.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wouldn't touch Claude Giroux with a 10 foot pole, everything about him screams playoff failure , don't want that kind of guy with your young guns in the locker room.

Even if we went batshit crazy and assumed this is true, which it isn't, Giroux would be at best the 7th guy on the totem pole in Colorado. The Avs wouldn't be expecting him to carry much of anything, just be another depth producer.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Even if we went batshit crazy and assumed this is true, which it isn't, Giroux would be at best the 7th guy on the totem pole in Colorado. The Avs wouldn't be expecting him to carry much of anything, just be another depth producer.

Yup, it's just hoping he would be able to let go of his massive ego and being content with playing middle 6 minutes.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Yup, it's just hoping he would be able to let go of his massive ego and being content with playing middle 6 minutes.

Massive ego?

This and your comment above about playoff failure (73 pts in 85 games mostly on a mediocre at best team) and not touching him with a 10 foot pole tells me you don't know much about Claude Giroux.

Reactions: BillDineen

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yeah just utter troll garbage. Claude Giroux is one of the best hockey players on the f***ing planet. Anyone coming in with that energy is looking to get a rise or doesn't have a clue what they're discussing. Not worth engaging either way.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The day he gets traded you, the Flyers fans should rejoice since the rebuild has officially started then. No need to keep dead weight on your shoulders that hasn't been able to do anything relevant for the past 8 years or so.

Yeh, it's all Claude's fault. Ignore the fact that he's never had adequate support, the teams he's played with have had no worthy defence for the majority and when we finally get a goalie worth his salt the rest of the team is a tyre fire.

You talk so confidently about a matter you patently know nothing about.

Reactions: anfieldo

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Yeh, it's all Claude's fault. Ignore the fact that he's had no defence for the majority and when we finally get a goalie worth his salt the rest of the team is a tyre fire.

You talk so confidently about a matter you patently know nothing about.

Fair enough. It's baffling to me that your answer was to get Ristolainen and the corpse of Keith Yandle to the defensive problems.:help:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

He's just trolling real hard.

Relevant to the thread:

LeBurn spends near half this article talking about Giroux and how the Avs would make it work. He also confirms the Avs are interested and will explore the situation more as the deadline nears.

For starters, my sense from talking to other sources around the league is that the Avs do think highly of Giroux. He won’t be the only player they check in on before March 21 but I do believe they will explore that situation.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
What would avs fans think would be an fair deal anyway? Byram+jost+?
Byram isn't on the table, and there's also no way Sakic would trade him with the health issues he's currently dealing with. Newhook is already a valuable roster player and the foreseeable 2c.

There's quite a few who still underestimate Justin Barron's talent. I'd much rather trade Behrens or Helleson.

Barron + 2023 1st + Compher + one of Kaut, Bowers or Beaucage
for
Giroux at 50%

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So, what's the right value? I agree that he's not worth much, but I'm also pretty sure the Avs shouldn't need to pay for another team to take him.
I put him in the same category as a Tanner Pearson, where they are still NHL players but unfortunately you can get comparable ice time and productivity for about 1/2 the cap hit. In the time of a flat cap I would think players like this are probably worth a lesser player with a lesser cap hit and a mid to late round pick.

For example (not a proposal, but trying to find names that work for what I am trying to say).
To Carolina: JTC
To Colorado: Stepan and a 5th

To Washington: JTC
To Colorado: Haglin and a 4th

To Minnesota: JTC
To Colorado: Bjugstad and a 5th

Again not proposals, but the type of deal I could see being of interest for a JTC type player with his current cap and contract.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
We thought the same about Gostisbehere...

Except it's not really the same situation, because Compher hasn't really dropped off significantly like Ghost did. If anything, he's recovered from the dip in production last year and is back to being the ~35-40 pt bottom 6/PKer who can play up the lineup in a pinch that he's always been. If we can get a 2nd + prospect for Graves, then Compher is at least worth a 3rd.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I put him in the same category as a Tanner Pearson, where they are still NHL players but unfortunately you can get comparable ice time and productivity for about 1/2 the cap hit. In the time of a flat cap I would think players like this are probably worth a lesser player with a lesser cap hit and a mid to late round pick.

For example (not a proposal, but trying to find names that work for what I am trying to say).
To Carolina: JTC
To Colorado: Stepan and a 5th

To Washington: JTC
To Colorado: Haglin and a 4th

To Minnesota: JTC
To Colorado: Bjugstad and a 5th

Again not proposals, but the type of deal I could see being of interest for a JTC type player with his current cap and contract.

And I'd probably agree with you on that valuation. What I don't agree with is the claim that the Avs have to pay extra to include him in a trade. He's a minor positive addition to the trade, not a worthless cap dump that requires additional compensation.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Except it's not really the same situation, because Compher hasn't really dropped off significantly like Ghost did. If anything, he's recovered from the dip in production last year and is back to being the ~35-40 pt bottom 6/PKer who can play up the lineup in a pinch that he's always been. If we can get a 2nd + prospect for Graves, then Compher is at least worth a 3rd.
Ghost didn't drop off significantly, either. He just had a moronic coaching staff. Proof: his performance this year.

Compher worth a third? Not in my eyes. Tbh I value NAK more highly than Compher. But NHL men love their vets so it's certainly possible.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Byram isn't on the table, and there's also no way Sakic would trade him with the health issues he's currently dealing with. Newhook is already a valuable roster player and the foreseeable 2c.

There's quite a few who still underestimate Justin Barron's talent. I'd much rather trade Behrens or Helleson.

Barron + 2023 1st + Compher + one of Kaut, Bowers or Beaucage
for
Giroux at 50%

I think thats the deal. Barron fills an organizational need and Compher would upgrade their AHL bottom 6. They can use their top 10 pick this year and their two firsts in a deep draft next year to try to find their future 1C.

Avs get G and keep Newhook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad