Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Avs would have a cup in the last 3 years if they had a better goalie imho. Another wasted year if they don't upgrade you can bump this when they win the cup if you think Darcy Keumper is enough, I'll happily eat crow.

I'll never forget those Grubauer is better than Gibson posts though.... I'll remember those forever.

Do Avs fans really think they need Giroux another center over a goalie? Why waste trade pieces.

Well we lost both of our goalies one year...

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Maybe I missed something, but as a regular here I don't recall seeing anyone claim that at all.
the best I recall is some thoughts that keeping grubauer and whatever it would cost to get gibson (prolly more than timmins+1st) is better long-term than getting gibson....I don't think anybody ever claimed Grubauer's a better goalie

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
I can tell you first hand whatever the price is he would be worth it..... G is an amazing player even at his age.....

The only player I wouldn't move is Newhook (if I were the Avs). For Byram + 1st to be included I'd want more from Philly (but that's risky for Philly because who knows what happens with Byram). Interesting as a Flyer fan and G fan I'd be happy if he went to the AVS but we need value. Fans squawking about Oluasson and Barron etc you have to pay a price if you really want the best chance to win.

No, I disagree here. The Avs don't truly need Giroux. Avs fans have pointed that out many times. Certainly not enough to empty our talent pool of too much. Would it be great to have Giroux or Pavs or Miller? Of course!
We just have a better defensive prospect pool than offensive based on what I am reading from guys on our boards that follow prospects.
Since it appears likely that the Avs need to wait until TDL to make any deals, we may know more about Helleson and we will for sure have a larger sample size for Barron as well.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I’d think that Compher would be going the other way simply because of salary, but I could see Barron and/or Helleson being involved with a draft pick.

Can’t see the Avs moving on from Byram or Newhook to bring him in. Not to mention I can’t see Philly being interested in Kaut or Bowers.

Reactions: SnS

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
But, the only way Giroux gets moved is if he asks to be traded, and he can name his destination. If he only wants to go to one or two teams, why would they jeopardize trading him at all just to try to maximize their return, rather than granting the request of their long term, loyal star and captain so he can chase the Cup? Are the Flyers really going to kill his chance just because they don't get enough back? I don't see it.
You have every right to your opinion. I just disagree with it.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Well we lost both of our goalies one year...
And still didn’t want Hank. I would say Sakic is a very patient man and won’t overpay for a guy. I will say this neither did Stevie Y with Tampa and they won when they overpaid for Coleman and Goodrow. That was after Stevie Y left. I think Avs issue is they have an excellent core but lack grit with skill.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
colorado goalie neurosis and greed.
nope.

the reason Giroux + Hart for anyone was posted was either High IQ for humor, or low IQ for meaningful hockey trade ideas. you decide.

Both Flyer players are ++ assets. Maybe +++. On a scale of negative --- to positive +++.

So I'll assume the humor approach was used.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Imagine MacKinnon, Giroux, Kadri down the middle for the playoffs. Unless they plan on playing him on The wing.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Kadri-nickushkin
Giroux-Newhook-LOC

Those are 3 nice scoring lines for the Avs playoff run.

Reactions: Richard88

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
I think Avs issue is they have an excellent core but lack grit with skill.

Agreed. Giroux fit fine Avs style for regular season in top 6 and second PP, but for playoff run to loan Pavelsky it could be a good move and cheaper than Giroux but not by value of youbg core

the G is a main issue for Avs prior playoff, not trade the loan guy

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Agreed. Giroux fit fine Avs style for regular season in top 6 and second PP, but for playoff run to loan a guy like Pavelsky it would be a right move and cheaper than Giroux. But not by value of young core.
Pavelski probably wouldn't be cheaper than Giroux. Unlike Giroux he has no NMC which likely means that there will be more teams bidding for him. Colorado are also in Dallas' division so an equal offer from another non-division team probably gets accepted ahead of the AVS offer.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The more I read about Barron, it does seem like he fills a Flyers need. How close to NHL ready is he?
1st+Barron+Compher would be the trade I guess.

He also fills a key need for Colorado so they won't be keen to trade him.
Barron will be NHL ready by next year at the latest.
He'll probably get another season in the AHL next year to further improve his defense which is still a bit suspect. Helleson is more NHL ready than Barron, though he has a lower ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad