Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Attachments

• 20220128_133449.jpg
    20220128_133449.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Not exactly. GMs want to remain known as good faith operators so they can maintain healthy work relationships.

You won’t be getting a home run trade for Giroux. You’ll need to dial back your expectations on what compensation will look like. But can your GM get 70 cents on the dollar? A 2023 1st and filler? Sure. I think so.

and if he’s even dealt to the Avs, I think it will be much closer to the deadline.

2023 1st top 2 protected, JTC Compher and Behrens would be a good deal for Philly if Giroux says to his GM. Trade me to the Avs.

Is it 100 cents on the dollar? Nope. But it’s got some valuable pieces. Let’s be real. Philly is rebuilding and you won’t need cap space for a run next year.

That's like .50 on the dollar. Protection doesn't bother me, retaining on Giroux doesn't bother me, getting JTC doesn't bother me, not getting Byram or Newhook doesn't bother me. The prospect should be one of Helleson, Barron, or Olausson.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd bet every dollar in my bank account that G is more likely to give a list, or be asked for a list of teams (multiple) that he'd accept a trade to. Therefore this notion of his value being diminished by him "dictating" exactly where he goes......is bogus.

Aside from Colorado, I am quite sure the other Western Contenders will have interest along with teams in the East like Tampa, Florida, and Carolina.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Aside from Colorado, I am quite sure the other Western Contenders will have interest along with teams in the East like Tampa, Florida, and Carolina.

Even the Rangers, Boston, and Toronto have been listed as potential destinations in various articles. Now....I'd rather he not go to any of those teams. If they are willing to overpay for him, I'd do it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why would he waive his no movement clause when that's the very thing that gives him the power to choose where he wants to go?

He's been with the organization for 16 years. I doubt he is going to give them 1 option as a destination. My guess is it will be at least 3. This increases his odds of getting moved and getting a shot at a Cup. If he says Colorado or bust and its a bad deal they could just not trade him and nobody wins.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'd bet every dollar in my bank account that G is more likely to give a list, or be asked for a list of teams (multiple) that he'd accept a trade to. Therefore this notion of his value being diminished by him "dictating" exactly where he goes......is bogus.
His list, if he makes one, isn’t likely to be more than a small few teams. Won’t be a list of 10.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
His list, if he makes one, isn’t likely to be more than a small few teams. Won’t be a list of 10.

In a couple of my posts, I've listed around 8 teams that should have interest in him. Even if it's half of those (and I'm assuming/expecting Colorado to be on the list), there are 3 other teams that the Av's would be bidding against.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He's been with the organization for 16 years. I doubt he is going to give them 1 option as a destination. My guess is it will be at least 3. This increases his odds of getting moved and getting a shot at a Cup. If he says Colorado or bust and its a bad deal they could just not trade him and nobody wins.

Waiving entirely could also mean he's traded to a non-contending team. Not likely to happen but it theoretically it could.

Also, you could say it the other way. He's been with the organization for 16 years and so the organizaton will do right by him instead of him doing right by the organization.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That’s
In a couple of my posts, I've listed around 8 teams that should have interest in him. Even if it's half of those (and I'm assuming/expecting Colorado to be on the list), there are 3 other teams that the Av's would be bidding against.
reasonable. I could see him giving Philly a list of 2-4 teams.

I don’t think Philly with get a 2nd and a cap dump for this player. I don’t think they’ll get a haul either.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
:avs

F Claude Giroux (50% retained)
F Morgan Frost

:flyers

F JT Compher
F Martin Kaut
D Drew Helleson
1st round draft pick in 2023 (Colorado has the option to defer to 2024)
Conditional 2nd round pick in 2024 (If Colorado reaches the SCF in 2022 and Giroux plays at least 1/2 their playoff games)

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Friedman just confirmed again on today’s podcast that he thinks the Avs are interested in Philly and Giroux is interested in going to Colorado and it’s going to come down to what Colorado wants to do.

pooch

May 30, 2017

F Morgan Frost

F JT Compher
F Martin Kaut
D Drew Helleson
Conditional 2nd round pick in 2024 (If Colorado reaches the SCF in 2022 and Giroux plays at least 1/2 their playoff games)
Pass.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

F Morgan Frost

F JT Compher
F Martin Kaut
D Drew Helleson

That's a pretty good deal, actually. I'm down with that.

Reactions: AvsGuy

pooch

May 30, 2017
That's a pretty good deal, actually. I'm down with that.
Really? I dont think I'd be too pumped about this return. Couple meh prospects (am I underrating these guys...dont think Kaut has done much of anything and Helleson is ok?), a late 1st, and a mediocre cap dump. And maybe a late 2nd in a few years. Plus we are giving up a young center when we already have center depth issues. Not a fan.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Glad this re-affirms to everyone, in simpler terms, how much of a monster Claude Giroux still is and has been for a decade.
Top players on teams, especially since they usually play with their team's other good players, usually put up good GF numbers, while lower lines typically get outscored. I don't see how this is particularly noteworthy. Like if your best line can only barely break even, you probably are a bad team regardless of your other lines.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Why would he waive his no movement clause when that's the very thing that gives him the power to choose where he wants to go?

I'm not sure why you're asking this. He'd waive it because he can win a Cup elsewhere when we aren't winning one this year.

Waiving entirely could also mean he's traded to a non-contending team. Not likely to happen but it theoretically it could.

Also, you could say it the other way. He's been with the organization for 16 years and so the organizaton will do right by him instead of him doing right by the organization.

It's not happening. He doesn't waive it and then all of a sudden all bets are off. Giroux will waive it only under certain terms - and he can deny anything he wants.

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Top players on teams, especially since they usually play with their team's other good players, usually put up good GF numbers, while lower lines typically get outscored. I don't see how this is particularly noteworthy. Like if your best line can only barely break even, you probably are a bad team regardless of your other lines.

You don't think the Flyers with Claude Giroux on the ice performs at top-team level - and the Flyers without Giroux performs at worst team in the league - is noteworthy?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not sure why you're asking this. He'd waive it because he can win a Cup elsewhere when we aren't winning one this year.

It's not happening. He doesn't waive it and then all of a sudden all bets are off. Giroux will waive it only under certain terms - and he can deny anything he wants.

The phrasing in that tweet was disingenuous. It made it seem like one he waives, he could be traded to anyone.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You don't think the Flyers with Claude Giroux on the ice performs at top-team level - and the Flyers without Giroux performs at worst team in the league - is noteworthy?
Not all that much honestly, especially because Giroux usually plays with 2 of the 3 other top forwards on the Flyers. It says to me he's not good enough to lead a top line on a contender, if the last decade wasn't already proof enough. But he can still probably help the second line for a quality team.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Not all that much honestly, especially because Giroux usually plays with 2 of the 3 other top forwards on the Flyers. It says to me he's not good enough to lead a top line on a contender, if the last decade wasn't already proof enough. But he can still probably help the second line for a quality team.

I mean Giroux is playing with just about everyone this year. That's how bad/injury prone the Flyers have been this year. Couts and Konecny to start. Brassard and Atkinson. Frost and Atkinson. Farabee while for like 2 weeks before he got injured. Now it's Lindblom and Atkinson. Giroux is the type of player that makes the players around him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad