Chychrun’s Megathread V (poll added)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Chychrun Be Traded Before The Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
You always bury bad news on a Friday because by the Monday news cycle it's already tempered down significantly. I'm not saying it's the Coyotes that would want to do it on the Friday. My hope its the team involved is so scared of the backlash (especially on talk radio in a Canadian market) that they want to time this right to allow enough time for the fanbase to accept the cost (and we all bloody know that within a an hour or two that the tone about Chychrun will change 180 degrees and we will be told we are idiots for giving up this potential #1D - bank on this). This means a Friday afternoon/early evening.
This Friday may also hold some significance if Crouse is in any way tied to Chychrun, as Crouse is set to meet with an arbitrator on Monday.

When I say “tied to” I mean he could potentially be involved in a deal, or the team could be waiting until a Chychrun deal is done before announcing a Crouse extension

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Why you say that?

In the PR biz, we call it the "dumping ground." Everyone is prepping for the weekend, and even big bad stories can slide through with only a fraction of the exposure it'd get at the start of the week because the weekend news cycle churns up so much content.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
In the PR biz, we call it the "dumping ground." Everyone is prepping for the weekend, and even big bad stories can slide through with only a fraction of the exposure it'd get at the start of the week because the weekend news cycle churns up so much content.
I guess I’m one of the only people that doesn’t see it as a negative (trading chychrun). He’s basically on the record saying he wants to win now. We all know that’s not happening here. Trade him and move on.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
100% with you. If anything I’m frustrated it hasn’t happened yet.
It’s very frustrating. A lot of people are assuming Chychrun is going to have a great year and we’ll get a fantastic return. What happens if he continues to struggle? Our team sucks, it’s not a given that he’s just going to have a complete 180.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It’s very frustrating. A lot of people are assuming Chychrun is going to have a great year and we’ll get a fantastic return. What happens if he continues to struggle? Our team sucks, it’s not a given that he’s just going to have a complete 180.
Our team isn't bad at all. If Chychrun and Crouse are still here and Tourigny has everyone giving a legit effort then the team could compete. The face palms only start when you remove more of our top players or if key players get injured.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Our team isn't bad at all. If Chychrun and Crouse are still here and Tourigny has everyone giving a legit effort then the team could compete. The face palms only start when you remove more of our top players or if key players get injured.
I disagree completely. Our team is going to be terrible next year. (Which in my opinion is a good thing) Well get a very high draft pick in a great draft. I wish Chychrun wanted to ride it out with us but it’s clear he wants out. No reason to keep someone who more than likely is going to leave us for nothing in 3 years.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
You always bury bad news on a Friday because by the Monday news cycle it's already tempered down significantly. I'm not saying it's the Coyotes that would want to do it on the Friday. My hope its the team involved is so scared of the backlash (especially on talk radio in a Canadian market) that they want to time this right to allow enough time for the fanbase to accept the cost (and we all bloody know that within a an hour or two that the tone about Chychrun will change 180 degrees and we will be told we are idiots for giving up this potential #1D - bank on this). This means a Friday afternoon/early evening.
Sounds like Jake Sanderson!!! :)

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Listening to PHNX's pod today about arbitration and also a little bit about Chychrun. Some notes:

-Recent rumors about Ottawa are being pushed by Chychrun's agent
-It is a little alarming hearing very frank talk that Chychrun 100% wants out and basically pouted all of last season
- Disagreements that Chychrun should be held onto because what if he pouts again and has another horrible season? Then you're stuck with an unhappy asset that has lost even more value.

It's sad to see how the story around Chychrun has changed since this time last year... I am in the camp that you gotta get him out asap. There is not enough reason to believe he'll return to an elite level this year being clearly unhappy and on a worse team, and I believe keeping him around will not help with the culture turnaround either. Get what you can for him now and put an end to the distraction.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Listening to PHNX's pod today about arbitration and also a little bit about Chychrun. Some notes:

-It is a little alarming hearing very frank talk that Chychrun 100% wants out and basically pouted all of last season
- Disagreements that Chychrun should be held onto because what if he pouts again and has another horrible season? Then you're stuck with an unhappy asset that has lost even more value.

It's sad to see how the story around Chychrun has changed since this time last year... I am in the camp that you gotta get him out asap. There is not enough reason to believe he'll return to an elite level this year being clearly unhappy and on a worse team, and I believe keeping him around will not help with the culture turnaround either. Get what you can for him now and put an end to the distraction.
I’m pretty obsessed with getting more ‘23 1sts, anyway. So I’m not even that picky on the return. Get me a prospect I like a lot (Greig, Neighbours, Bourgault, etc) and a ‘23 1st and I’m like 75-80% happy.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Guys usually start caring about the trajectory of their organization after four or so years in the show. Chychrun is entering his 7th year. Completely understandable he wants out.

I don't know what the hell is holding up cap deals around the league and what kind of conversations BA is involved in with Chychrun and Crouse, but this can't go on into camp.

Reactions: Mangosteen

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

link?

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
We’ve at least had the chance to prepare ourselves for a Chychrun trade for months. I will not be very happy if Crouse goes too.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't think it makes much sense to deal Crouse and Chychrun together. Unless Ottawa is giving us Sanderson and their 1st. Haha.

I feel like it would be two separate deals. I wonder about 2 year deal on Crouse, with max retention. Like 2yrs, 10mil, 50% retained, and suddenly you've got this 6'4, 220lb, 200+ hits, 20+ goals, 2way power winger in his prime at only 2.5 aav. I think that's worth a lot of assets. Probably gets us our long coveted goalie of the future and a '23 1st.

Guys usually start caring about the trajectory of their organization after four or so years in the show. Chychrun is entering his 7th year. Completely understandable he wants out.

I don't know what the hell is holding up cap deals around the league and what kind of conversations BA is involved in with Chychrun and Crouse, but this can't go on into camp.
Yeah. Why don't we have Bailey and Brossoit on this team already?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The teams with cap space are holding onto it. Like a cartel. Dictating the price. The teams that need to dump don't like the price. I suspect the stalemate will drag on into training camp, when some big contracts might get injured.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Calgary has $12m in dead cap between Monahan and Lucic, with a Kadri sized hole down the middle. They'd probably love to have Crouse.

Maybe Treliving is in a giving mood and forks over Coronato to sit pretty for a summer.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Calgary has $12m in dead cap between Monahan and Lucic, with a Kadri sized hole down the middle. They'd probably love to have Crouse.

Maybe Treliving is in a giving mood and forks over Coronato to sit pretty for a summer.
I’m a big Coronato fan. But I expect BA wants Wolf.

Monahan and Lucic both have 10 Team NTCs though.

Calgary would be deadly if they swapped Tkachuk, Monahan, Gudbranson and Lucic for Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar and Crouse, though.

They’re still missing that one guy, though. Haha. Huge upgrades all except for Johnny. I guess they could sign Kadri and Phil if we helped them clear all that cash though.

Might be enough to win the battle of Alberta at least.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I buy this overall.

While I'm not going to rule out OTT, I just don't see the natural fit there unless they were going to move Chychrun to the right side, which I don't think is ideal. And if they were sold on that idea, I don't know why a trade hasn't been done by now. OTT clearly has the assets if they're sold on Chychrun and the fit of the player on top 4 RHD.

I'm less concerned about him having a bad season -- as long as he stays healthy and plays hard, his value should hold. But I do agree about the culture not being ideal and if he's a negative element in the dressing room. And also if he gets to the point where he "demands" a trade, that could reduce the leverage to get an optimal return.

The thing that concerns me in terms of trade value, besides the flat cap world, is if any other LHD become available. Whether that's Sandin, Hanifin, one of Provorov/Sanheim, or someone else. I'm not saying any of these guys are at the same level as Chychrun, but they still can fill that spot teams may have a need for. At the same time, it may shake certain RHD loose (like if LAK trade Durzi, MIN trades Dumba, CGY trades Weegar or Tanev, etc...)

I still think LAK makes WAY more sense than OTT. I think ANA is less likely a fit unless they're willing to trade Mintyukov+ for Chychrun, otherwise they may feel they have their stop gaps with Klingberg and Fowler & Shattenkirk still there while they wait for their young guys to arrive. They may also be lurking in the weeds for a team who needs to shed cap, and they may just see themselves as a year or two away from making the kind of big moves OTT and DET did this summer.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I still think this saga is overblown. The reports that says that he wouldn't mind playing with the Sens only tells me that he is up in their family cottage in Ontario, near Ottawa, hanging out with some Sens fans. The tank season is over, he needs to get over it. He still needs to honor his contract regardless. Don't see how he being on the Coyotes hurts them. Either he helps with a new tank season or he plays lights out and increases his trade value.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I still think this saga is overblown. The reports that says that he wouldn't mind playing with the Sens only tells me that he is up in their family cottage in Ontario, near Ottawa, hanging out with some Sens fans. The tank season is over, he needs to get over it. He still needs to honor his contract regardless. Don't see how he being on the Coyotes hurts them. Either he helps with a new tank season or he plays lights out and increases his trade value.
Last season was nothing compared to this one. It’s vital we get a top 3 pick in 23

Reactions: jmelm

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The Crouse situation will decided in a couple of days, hopefully before arbitration. With Chychrun, who knows, but if I'm BA I don't trade him just because he wants out. BA better want until he gets what he wants as Chychrun is probably our best trade asset we have. Let's see what happens with Crouse and Chychrun, but at the moment it's not a good look. We all know how Garland was treated.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad