Value of: Chris Tanev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Treliving said at the time of the trade no other team offered anything close to a 2nd for Baetschi. It was one of the many transactions that Benning was criticized for over his tenure as Canucks’ GM.
I very much doubt tre said that, thats the quickest way to burn relationships with other gms

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
He said the same thing about Tkachuks return from Florida.
For some reason it doesnt come off nearly as offensive on the tkachuk trade than the baertschi trade. Regardless Baertschi was absolutely traded for fair value at the time. I rmb distinctly a lot of flames fans were not happy and lots of nuck fans were

Reactions: Qwijibo

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
For some reason it doesnt come off nearly as offensive on the tkachuk trade than the baertschi trade. Regardless Baertschi was absolutely traded for fair value at the time. I rmb distinctly a lot of flames fans were not happy and lots of nuck fans were

Fair value is just what someone will offer. Treliving was saying no one else was offering a 2nd.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Fair value is just what someone will offer. Treliving was saying no one else was offering a 2nd.

At best another team offered a 3rd.

Debatable since a 2nd was offered then that must mean fair value right.

Yakupov and lazar was all traded for similar, so theres historical precedent there. are you really gonna sit here and say 3rd + 5th is a significant overpay to a late 2nd?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Debatable since a 2nd was offered then that must mean fair value right.

Yakupov and lazar was all traded for similar, so theres historical precedent there. are you really gonna sit here and say 3rd + 5th is a significant overpay to a late 2nd?
I never said it was a significant overpay, I said it was an overpay.

It was a classic Benning overpay. Defend that fool all you want.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Monohan got a first and a third. Tanev should (imo) be more value.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I never said it was a significant overpay, I said it was an overpay.
Again if theres other offers out there at 3rd + 5th, obvs without certainty on where the 3rd is can you really say thats an overpay? The difference here could be splitting hairs.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Again if theres other offers out there at 3rd + 5th, obvs without certainty on where the 3rd is can you really say thats an overpay? The difference here could be splitting hairs.
Treliving himself said it was “easily the best offer he received”. I remember him saying it, I’m sure other Canucks’ fans remember it to. Here’s a Reddit poster talking about the same thing. If you don’t believe me I really don’t care at this point. 🤷‍♂️

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Treliving himself said it was “easily the best offer he received”. I remember him saying it, I’m sure other Canucks’ fans remember it to. Here’s a Reddit poster talking about the same thing. If you don’t believe me I really don’t care at this point. 🤷‍♂️

The other Flames forum had something similar:

Treliving says the 2nd round pick was the best offer by FAR for Baertschi. Nothing else was close.

I always thought that comment was a little crass and unnecessary. Just a rookie GM trying to assuage the fanbase after trading a prospect that had previously been very highly considered.

There was also that whole Kesler trade drama when it was reported Benning was afraid of asking the Ducks for an extra pick back. Dude was such a clown.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The other Flames forum had something similar:

I always thought that comment was a little crass and unnecessary. Just a rookie GM trying to assuage the fanbase after trading a prospect that had previously been very highly considered.

There was also that whole Kesler trade drama when it was reported Benning was afraid of asking the Ducks for an extra pick back. Dude was such a clown.
Benning was a terrible negotiator. It seems like he’d always just go in with his best offer first and seemingly willing to throw in extra picks like they were candy.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I remember being pretty happy with a 2nd for the Swiss Miss
had some talent definitely but just way too soft for the NHL

Not sure what to expect for a Tanev return. He's a guy that playoff teams should rightly be coveting for a playoff run. And if there's enough of them asking and offering I don't think a 1st rd pick or a 2nd and something else good is out of the question. Price is probably going to depend a lot on what retention the Flames are offering.

should also be noted that as soon as Tanev got injured in the 2021-22 playoffs the Flames immediately went from one of the best defensive teams in the league to an actual garbage on fire trainwreck in their own zone
should also also be noted that as soon as the Canucks let him go their blueline completely cratered and hasn't recovered until this season

Anybody who thinks he's not a difference maker has not watched enough of the player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I remember being pretty happy with a 2nd for the Swiss Miss
had some talent definitely but just way too soft for the NHL

Not sure what to expect for a Tanev return. He's a guy that playoff teams should rightly be coveting for a playoff run. And if there's enough of them asking and offering I don't think a 1st rd pick or a 2nd and something else good is out of the question. Price is probably going to depend a lot on what retention the Flames are offering.

should also be noted that as soon as Tanev got injured in the 2021-22 playoffs the Flames immediately went from one of the best defensive teams in the league to an actual garbage on fire trainwreck in their own zone
should also also be noted that as soon as the Canucks let him go their blueline completely cratered and hasn't recovered until this season

Anybody who thinks he's not a difference maker has not watched enough of the player.
That risk is extremely high with Tanev and will make GM's hesitant to trade for him until the last minute.
With Tanev it's not if it's when he gets injured(and he hasn't yet this year 😬)
That said, the Flames aren't completely out of it right now so they might be buyers at the deadline.
The cost will start with a 1st, but additional assets are conditional on games played % if I was a GM

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think if we get less than a 2nd and 3rd we lose the trade. That has to be the bare minimum. Ideally a 2nd and young C prospect that is buried on a depth chart or needs a change of scenery.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What would us cost for Tanev to the Oilers? He would need to be 50% retained.
Personally I wouldn't trade him to you. Too good a fit. Also I'm scared the Oilers will win the cup this year. McDavid has stopped cherry picking. He's playing a complete game. You guys need a top 4 defenseman who can move the puck as the final piece. I don't want to give it to you.

Reactions: Szechwan

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Personally I wouldn't trade him to you. Too good a fit. Also I'm scared the Oilers will win the cup this year. McDavid has stopped cherry picking. He's playing a complete game. You guys need a top 4 defenseman who can move the puck as the final piece. I don't want to give it to you.
Haha. Fair enough. I think would be a great fit as well.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I refuse to believe baertschi for a 2nd at the time was an overpay either. sven was a former blue chip prospect who struggled and was traded as a high risk reclamation project, that around what they usually trade for
Not to mention, he was actually looking decent in Van but a slew of injuries started his downward slide.

Benning had a lot of questionable targets during his Age Gap years, but I don't think Baertschi was one of them.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I think if we get less than a 2nd and 3rd we lose the trade. That has to be the bare minimum. Ideally a 2nd and young C prospect that is buried on a depth chart or needs a change of scenery.
On deadline day I would easily do Xavier Bourgault and a 2nd

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Friedman said on radio with Marek the cost is a 1st. Leafs are not wanting to give one up. Guessing he goes to another team.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'd sell him to the oilers without a care. They aren't winning.

There's just no prospects of their's that I like. They're all 21/22 and struggling to make a team with poor depth. I'd rather Raty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad