Value of: Chris Tanev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
I'd sell him to the oilers without a care. They aren't winning.

There's just no prospects of their's that I like. They're all 21/22 and struggling to make a team with poor depth. I'd rather Raty
This is the best depth we have had in like a decade. Not sure what you are talking about.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Friedman said on radio with Marek the cost is a 1st. Leafs are not wanting to give one up. Guessing he goes to another team.

The cost is famously a 1st to the Leafs because they don't have any 2nds. They also need cap relief so it's an additional cost.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd sell him to the oilers without a care. They aren't winning.

There's just no prospects of their's that I like. They're all 21/22 and struggling to make a team with poor depth. I'd rather Raty
I think this is the first time I've seen an Oilers squad that I'm afraid could win. McDavid has changed the way he plays and the rest have followed suit. Give them another D that is good defensively while transitioning the puck? No thanks.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This is the best depth we have had in like a decade. Not sure what you are talking about.

Tbf if they were the best team in the history of the cap era their odds would probably still be sub 20% to win the cup. Add in BoA salt and this is a rather mild response

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

What's changed since last year? Hell I'd take the guys you lost than the guys you added

If Stuart can be the best goalie in the league for another 60 games then sure that's a significant change but otherwise not much has changed.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I think this is the first time I've seen an Oilers squad that I'm afraid could win. McDavid has changed the way he plays and the rest have followed suit. Give them another D that is good defensively while transitioning the puck? No thanks.

Also, if the Oilers and Canucks are offering similar packages, at that point Tanev probably picks his destination as a favour to the player.

If the rumour is true that Tanev was trying to get himself included in the Lindholm deal, I'd be surprised if he isn't a Canuck as long as the offer is competitive.

Reactions: GOilers88

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What's changed since last year? Hell I'd take the guys you lost than the guys you added
The way McDavid is playing since the coaching change. You can't exploit him defensively with a good 2 way center anymore. That was always how they got bounced before. They haven't given up more than 2 goals in something like 15 games now.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Can someone please check on the "Flames should easily get a 1st, I mean a 2nd", for 34 year old Tanev crowd to see if they are ok.

Last edited:

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions

If Stuart can be the best goalie in the league for another 60 games then sure that's a significant change but otherwise not much has changed.
Stop moving the goal posts. You said our prospects were struggling to make a team with no depth. When in fact this is the most depth our team has had at the NHL level in over a decade. Hence why our prospects are not on the team.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Stop moving the goal posts. You said our prospects were struggling to make a team with no depth. When in fact this is the most depth our team has had at the NHL level in over a decade. Hence why our prospects are not on the team.
Two things can be true. The roster is very strong. The prospect pool is very bad. I think both those things are accurate.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The way McDavid is playing since the coaching change. You can't exploit him defensively with a good 2 way center anymore. That was always how they got bounced before. They haven't given up more than 2 goals in something like 15 games now.

So the added depth is just McDavid cherry picking less.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

How is that moving the goal post? Like I think you're less deep than last year and they still aren't cracking it.

Not interested in them. Shit I might like Desharnais more than Broberg/Bourgault

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So the added depth is just McDavid cherry picking less.
Basically for me yes. I wouldn't even call it added depth. I'd call it a commitment to winning hockey. Before it was a commitment to winning the Art Ross.

Would rather 2 2nds than a trending bust like Raty.

No trading with the Oilers period.
Raty is about what you get with a 2nd round pick usually. I think trending bust is a little strong. I don't love him, but 26 points in 42 AHL games as a 21 year old isn't terrible. He also plays C mostly. Cole Schwindt is 2 years older and producing less in the same league. Really only Coronato from the Wranglers is producing more.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That risk is extremely high with Tanev and will make GM's hesitant to trade for him until the last minute.
With Tanev it's not if it's when he gets injured(and he hasn't yet this year 😬)
That said, the Flames aren't completely out of it right now so they might be buyers at the deadline.
The cost will start with a 1st, but additional assets are conditional on games played % if I was a GM

I don't see a lot of realistic scenarios the Flames are going to be buyers, but I guess you never know with this ownership group.

Tanev has played in 92% of the games since he signed with the Flames. He has definitely had some rough injuries over his career but the people that think it's because he's made of glass are just plain wrong. It's because he does shit like block shots with his face, it's not in him to give anything less than all he has. That's a guy I would want if I thought my team could make a deep playoff run. He's a great steadying presence on the blueline.

A games played % condition would probably be a smart thing for an acquiring GM to include but I thought the NHL did away with that type of performance conditions on a pick a year or two ago? Could be wrong about that.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Basically for me yes. I wouldn't even call it added depth. I'd call it a commitment to winning hockey. Before it was a commitment to winning the Art Ross.

Raty is about what you get with a 2nd round pick usually. I think trending bust is a little strong. I don't love him, but 26 points in 42 AHL games as a 21 year old isn't terrible. He also plays C mostly. Cole Schwindt is 2 years older and producing less in the same league. Really only Coronato from the Wranglers is producing more.
I mean, Schwindt sucks too. He's not even a good 4th liner. He's basically another Gawdin. But the Flames already have a Raty-esque prospect in Stromgren and no one expects anything out of him.

I'd rather swing for the fences with an extra 2nd and hope for a homerun a la Andersson than take the mediocre prospect.

If that was the best deal on the table, then sure fine, whatever, but given the wide level of interest, it seems like they can do better.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean, Schwindt sucks too. He's not even a good 4th liner. He's basically another Gawdin. But the Flames already have a Raty-esque prospect in Stromgren and no one expects anything out of him.

I'd rather swing for the fences with an extra 2nd and hope for a homerun a la Andersson than take the mediocre prospect.

If that was the best deal on the table, then sure fine, whatever, but given the wide level of interest, it seems like they can do better.
How is Stromgren like Raty? He has one goal on the season in the AHL.

What do we feel Tanev is actually worth in terms of a fair trade? I kind of think a 2nd and 3rd. Now, based on interest it's likely we get more than that. Of course I'd rather get more, I just think Raty and a 2nd is an acceptable return. If Toronto offered Cowan or something like that I'd obviously prefer it.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I remember being pretty happy with a 2nd for the Swiss Miss
had some talent definitely but just way too soft for the NHL

Not sure what to expect for a Tanev return. He's a guy that playoff teams should rightly be coveting for a playoff run. And if there's enough of them asking and offering I don't think a 1st rd pick or a 2nd and something else good is out of the question. Price is probably going to depend a lot on what retention the Flames are offering.

should also be noted that as soon as Tanev got injured in the 2021-22 playoffs the Flames immediately went from one of the best defensive teams in the league to an actual garbage on fire trainwreck in their own zone
should also also be noted that as soon as the Canucks let him go their blueline completely cratered and hasn't recovered until this season

Anybody who thinks he's not a difference maker has not watched enough of the player.
I was livid at the Sven trade, not tue return but the fact it was to a division rival. I remember writing a thing for the blog II, Hox and me were doing just ripping it to shreds.

Which was funny considering everyone thought I had this vendetta against Sven

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Ftr.. huge oilers fan and I think we need to add to be a legit cup threat. I also want Tanev big time.

But I'll try and answer what has changed to make us better because we are better imo.

New coach
Skinner is no longer a rookie and we got rid of Campbell pretty early on
Bouch had 40 points in 82 games last year and has 43 points in 46 games so far this year... Almost double his production and is a Top 5 scoring Dman.
Full season of Ek as he was a trade deadline acquisition
Hyman is killing it beyond most people's reasonable expectations
Known prick Cory Perry is now on our side
VD has improved
McLeod has improved
Foegele is on a career year too

Potential improvements to come... Holloway and Bro may still make some noise. Longshot but not completely out to lunch either.

Still need a RHD exactly like Tanev. Still need a backup to Skinner. Still got time to make both happen. I'm not saying we are there but those are some changes from last year that are helping us this year.

Reactions: GOilers88

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, if the Oilers and Canucks are offering similar packages, at that point Tanev probably picks his destination as a favour to the player.

If the rumour is true that Tanev was trying to get himself included in the Lindholm deal, I'd be surprised if he isn't a Canuck as long as the offer is competitive.
Tanev was trying to get himself included in a trade? Source?

Ive never heard of a player going to their gm and going 'hey, I hear you are trading our C.. can I be included in the trade, I'd rather play for another team'??? How does a player try to get themselves included in a trade???

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Bouch had 40 points in 82 games last year and has 43 points in 46 games so far this year... Almost double his production and is a Top 5 scoring Dman.
Full season of Ek as he was a trade deadline acquisition
Hyman is killing it beyond most people's reasonable expectations
Known prick Cory Perry is now on our side
VD has improved
McLeod has improved
Foegele is on a career year too
Sigh

... have you guys ever heard of PDO?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad