Rumor: Chris Johnston: Some believe Toronto is the front runner for Ben Chiarot.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
If I was the Leafs, I would not be after offense. The Leafs already have a very solid offensive team. You need warriors. Gio is a good fit if you can get him for a good price but I suspect other teams are looking at him too... even if he's 38
Manson....we need Manson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Manson....we need Manson.

Sure. Go trade for him. Leafs are not the only playoff team looking for upgrades though. You either make a move earlier where the other GM likes your offer or you wait and see what is available on deadline day. Maybe some of the prices fall or maybe they increase where you are left with nothing.

There are no easy solutions to this. Leafs are not the only team looking for upgrades. No idea what Manson returns but he is a Right shot D who can play 20 min.

Do all teams wait to make moves and all teams selling are willing to trade them early? Typical deadline stuff IMO. We can only guess what the actual conversations are.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
General feeling in other threads is a 2nd+.

2nd and a prospect similar to who we got for Toffoli (former 2nd rounder developing well). I doubt it ends up being a 2nd and small add. There is just too many teams after improvements and you got to outbid the other.

The reality is this...
What you see from fans who are buyers is low offers.
vs
What you see from fans who are sellers is high demands.

From what I have learned on HF boards is the truth is usually in the middle somewhere when the dust settles.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
2nd and a prospect similar to who we got for Toffoli (former 2nd rounder developing well). I doubt it ends up being a 2nd and small add. There is just too many teams after improvements and you got to outbid the other.

The reality is this...
What you see from fans who are buyers is low offers.
vs
What you see from fans who are sellers is high demands.

From what I have learned on HF boards is the truth is usually in the middle somewhere when the dust settles.
The 2nd+ was in regards to what Ducks fans feel (in general) that Manson would cost.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
A 2nd and small add for a RD who can play 20 mins and provide stability? I think he takes that deal and runs with it. Especially with Muzzin dealing with concussion issues.
I don't know if Manson is even available, that's just what Ducks fans figured he was worth...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know if Manson is even available, that's just what Ducks fans figured he was worth...

Their in a playoff hunt. West is wide open and I doubt the Ducks make a move in advance before they know their faith.

If Dubas wants to make a move now, got to look at teams that are out of the playoff picture.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Their in a playoff hunt. West is wide open and I doubt the Ducks make a move in advance before they know their faith.

If Dubas wants to make a move now, got to look at teams that are out of the playoff picture.
Depends on whether Manson/Lindholm plan on re-signing with the Ducks. If not, i doubt they put much stock in fighting for a wildcard spot and losing those guys for nothing....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on whether Manson/Lindholm plan on re-signing with the Ducks. If not, i doubt they put much stock in fighting for a wildcard spot and losing those guys for nothing....

I don't know but my gut tells me that they would value a playoff run where they might try to retain them in the off season. Playoff revenue is on the line

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
this is hilarious. He literally posted facts as to why chariot is Garbage and not worth a first.. all you reply with is “you are disrespectful don’t reply to my posts” come on man…
Great point. Notice how he deflected your post too? He doesn’t like facts, but has time to spew his own opinions over and over and over. It’s like he thinks the more he posts the more the idiots will follow him. It’s too bad he has nothing to back them up. He only talks to people who don’t like the truth.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
My Price for Chariot traded to
Leafs (50%retained ) is: this year 1st (top-10 protected) +2023 2nd .

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
There's also the idea that some teams might want to make sure a rival doesn't add a player. If Toronto thinks their road to the Cup goes through Tampa, they'll be tempted to overpay for someone that Tampa seems to be interested in. Now, this doesn't happen that often, but it's another factor that's hard to keep track of, even more historically when looking back at past overpayments.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Games 5/6/7 he absolutely went god mode.
And regardless if you want to call it an excuse or a reason Korpisalo and Elvis did the same thing the year before, the Leafs failings in the playoffs aren’t because they weren’t “tough enough” on the back end, it’s because their high end scoring went dry and their goalies killed them by letting in bsck breaking softies at inopportune moments.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
My Price for Chariot traded to
Leafs (50%retained ) is: this year 1st (top-10 protected) +2023 2nd .
The "top 10 protected" isn't really required, with the season the Leafs are having.
I do think this isn't what the Habs are likely to want, I think Hughes and Gorton are looking at a quicker turnaround, so a 2019 or 2020 draft pick who can come over in a year or two will be far more attractive than a pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's also the idea that some teams might want to make sure a rival doesn't add a player. If Toronto thinks their road to the Cup goes through Tampa, they'll be tempted to overpay for someone that Tampa seems to be interested in. Now, this doesn't happen that often, but it's another factor that's hard to keep track of, even more historically when looking back at past overpayments.

That could be at play too. Rare and risky but if you are in on the same player and are hesitate to up the offer where a potential playoff match-up is going to get him, you might sweeten the offer.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Yeah, that is a steep price. I expect something like a 2019-2021 drafted kid and a 2nd rounder. Maybe a sweetener since the 2nd will be so deep. Or I'd make it a 2024 2nd to make up for the one Montreal lost in the Dvorak deal.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If Price is healthy again. The word if has a meaning and the Habs can't trade him until he is playing again with no health issues. Price was shut down for a fair amount before last years playoff run but played through the pain and did very very well. 3 games of awesome play? Do you think he was only good against the Leafs for 3 games and not for that entire playoffs? WTF?

Give me a break here. Why are you talking about health issues when I clearly said that IF PRICE IS HEALTHY AGAIN. Comprehend that a little better eh
If I win the lottery and if I invest my lottery winnings in the next Amazon/Google/Apple and if I become a multi-billionaire, I will buy the Habs (if they are for sale) and I will trade away all your favorite players. If you don't like that too bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I win the lottery and if I invest my lottery winnings in the next Amazon/Google/Apple and if I become a multi-billionaire, I will buy the Habs (if they are for sale) and I will trade away all your favorite players. If you don't like that too bad.

It's not complicated but you can make fun of it if you wish. The narrative is if Price is 100% healthy again. Not before

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And regardless if you want to call it an excuse or a reason Korpisalo and Elvis did the same thing the year before, the Leafs failings in the playoffs aren’t because they weren’t “tough enough” on the back end, it’s because their high end scoring went dry and their goalies killed them by letting in bsck breaking softies at inopportune moments.

Offense does dry up in the playoffs and the Leafs PP needs to be better cause 5/5 is very tough but the PP is where you can take advantage of the offensive power the Leafs have.

Consistent goaltending is a factor... I agree there.

But better toughness and grit surrounding your offensive players is of value. I would not overlook that if you want to go on a deep run. Teams that reach the final 4 year to year have little to no flaws. Goaltending, Defense, Offense, Grit/toughness, depth. They are all important

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Leafs fans may not want to accept it, but in the playoffs Chiarot would be their #4D, behind Reilly, Muzzin, and Brodie. He would get way more ice time than Sandin, Holl, Dermott, Liljegren, etc.

I remember in a documentary the Leafs released after the playoffs, it showed one of the coaches talking to the players in the locker room, talking down on Montreal saying "they only play 4 defenseman". Well we all know how that turned out. Montreal rode 4 d-men (Weber, Edmundson, Petry, Chiarot) all the way to the finals. Romanov, Kulak, and Gustafsson were stapled to the bench after the 2nd period.

At the end of the day I don't see Toronto paying the price for Chiarot, but I have a feeling they trade a mid/late pick for Kulak to play 6th D once they miss out on any big fish.

Reactions: pth2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad