Rumor: Chris Johnston: Some believe Toronto is the front runner for Ben Chiarot.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
They may be all we have in a few years though so we'll need them. Amirov just got diagnosed with a brain tumor. So there's another one down.
Thats the first time I heard this , very sad news , makes all of this hockey talk seem petty and meaningless . Sincerely hope and pray that everything turns in the young mans favor .

Reactions: Griffin76

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
like I said, I value Chiarot, but I disagree that he's a 23-25 mins guy. Even if I agree that Weber was horrid, the Habs D did not have "one" weak link. It was bad overall.
And it was abd for years...

Well, you can disagree all you want but he has played 23-25 min a game for a while now so you not disagreeing with me. Your disagreeing with actual NHL coaches and the GM's that are interested in him.

Chiaort from his days with the Jets are long gone. He's matured.

Chiarot was not the weak link in our top 4D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalfield13

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What a bad take... Can't disagree more. Very disrespectful to Weber.

Not really and I disagree it's a bad take. I valued Weber and respected his game but he clearly was in decline. Chiarot was a good partner for him in terms of helping the puck moving. This was a hot topic on the Habs board for a while in terms of Weber's game. His skating was weak but his hockey IQ was still high... he was able to sustain some level of value but Chiarot was not the weak link on his pairing.

What has Chiarot done without Weber? Pretty much carrying on with the same value he did with Weber.

When Habs fans were trying to trade Weber a few years ago, other fans focused on his decline as well. Reality

Reactions: BLONG7

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well, you can disagree all you want but he has played 23-25 min a game for a while now so you not disagreeing with me. Your disagreeing with actual NHL coaches and the GM's that are interested in him.

Chiaort from his days with the Jets are long gone. He's matured.

Chiarot was not he weak link in our top 4D.

Yes he's playing 23-25 mins a game on a bottom feeder, on one of the worst D-corps in the league.

Travis Boyd plays 18 mins, he must be a top 6 player...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just a comparaison for you during playoff against tampa and toronto

Vs tampa
High scoring chance
40 for/ 52
Medium scoring chance

83for/79 against
+ 4

Vs toronto highscoring chance
55 for/ 82 against

Medium
112 for/124 against

So please dont tell me montreal top 4 keep the things outside...The reality is montreal was completly outplayed by toronto but price was just phenomenal... and playoff are the only area where habs was looking good defensive side the last 3 or 4 years...

Leafs were the best team the Habs faced in last year's playoffs. No doubt in my mind that the Habs top 4D were able to contain other teams more than the Leafs. Leafs offense and skating is very good and even Tampa would have difficulty to some degree.

Price was good but he's not god. The Habs top 4D were part of the team strength. Keep digging. The interest in Chiarot is warrented but the 1st narrative has turned posters into attack mode where some are using the word "Garbage" towards Chiarot. Typical HF board

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalfield13

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes he's playing 23-25 mins a game on a bottom feeder, on one of the worst D-corps in the league.

Travis Boyd plays 18 mins, he must be a top 6 player...

23-25 min extends this year and prior years. Do you think the 23-25 min per game was just this year? :sarcasm:

Chiarot has been consistent throughout and he raised his game in the playoffs. His numbers are very close to what R Macdonagh is providing for Tampa. And when I say numbers, I mean points, hits/60, blocks/60, takeaway/60 and giveaway/60... as well as Corsi and D zone starts.... and min/game

I repeat, The interest in Chiarot is warranted. You say he is not as good but you also say he might get the 1st. I say the opposite in both counts. He is a very solid top 4D with the game he plays but he might not get the 1st.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not really and I disagree it's a bad take. I valued Weber and respected his game but he clearly was in decline. Chiarot was a good partner for him in terms of helping the puck moving. This was a hot topic on the Habs board for a while in terms of Weber's game. His skating was weak but his hockey IQ was still high... he was able to sustain some level of value but Chiarot was not the weak link on his pairing.

What has Chiarot done without Weber? Pretty much carrying on with the same value he did with Weber.

When Habs fans were trying to trade Weber a few years ago, other fans focused on his decline as well. Reality
The truth is, for the last two regular seasons, while watching most every game, Weber had been bad....real bad. Then, last years playoffs, with everyone watching, he was good, very very good.
People who don't follow the team as closely as we do would never know this.....
Now, it would seem Weber is done, and will be retiring in the fall, and only leaving what, 1M per season on the table....thinking the Preds may be on the hook for a recapture penalty. What that penalty is, not sure.

As for Big Ben...............10-12 teams are interested...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The truth is, for the last two regular seasons, while watching most every game, Weber had been bad....real bad. Then, last years playoffs, with everyone watching, he was good, very very good.
People who don't follow the team as closely as we do would never know this.....
Now, it would seem Weber is done, and will be retiring in the fall, and only leaving what, 1M per season on the table....thinking the Preds may be on the hook for a recapture penalty. What that penalty is, not sure.

As for Big Ben...............10-12 teams are interested...

It's comical. Fans think actual GM's are idiots and they know better. Respectful members of the media don't know what they are talking about. Sorry to those who disagree but I'll side on the media and GM's side thank you very much. Why? Cause what I think is somewhat in line with what they think.

In terms of Weber carrying Chiarot, that's also comical. Weber was in obvious decline while Chiarot has been consistent with whoever he is paired with.

Chiarot is going to help out a playoff team. Reality. People can disagree about his value and what we should get back all they want. My price tag has been also consistent. Two 2nd's.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal should try to sell the Leafs on Chiarot hard because the Leafs first round struggles are well documented and a 1st round pick from them could be higher than some other teams.

We don't need the Leafs to get good value for Chiarot. There are many teams interested and all the Habs are doing is waiting out the process while other GM's explore their options. Something teams would do the exact same thing as the Habs are doing. Is it a 1st and prospect or two 2nd's? Not sure but it's not just the Leafs who are interested in Chiarot. In fact, the Habs probably make the Leafs pay more than other teams if they want him.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
23-25 min extends this year and prior years. Do you think the 23-25 min per game was just this year? :sarcasm:

Chiarot has been consistent throughout and he raised his game in the playoffs. His numbers are very close to what R Macdonagh is providing for Tampa. And when I say numbers, I mean points, hits/60, blocks/60, takeaway/60 and giveaway/60... as well as Corsi and D zone starts.... and min/game

I repeat, The interest in Chiarot is warranted. You say he is not as good but you also say he might get the 1st. I say the opposite in both counts. He is a very solid top 4D with the game he plays but he might not get the 1st.

I'm well aware he's been top 4 in Montreal for quite some years. But Montreal has been a bottom feeder for the past 5 years as well lol.

He did great in last year's playoff and that's part of the reason why I think he commands a 1st. Obviously a late 1st thougg, from a contender.

I'm literally basing his value to the most recent comparable that was David Savard last season. Columbus gor a 1st out of him. He was also playing 20 mins a night for Columbus, but then surprise surprise, 14 mins a night in the playoffs for Tampa.

They're the type of guys teams badly want for a playoff run. But they're not the guys that play 20+ minutes on a contender and are a core part of the top 4D. They're support guys, depth guys.

Incredibly valuable depth guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm well aware he's been top 4 in Montreal for quite some years. But Montreal has been a bottom feeder for the past 5 years as well lol.

He did great in last year's playoff and that's part of the reason why I think he commands a 1st. Obviously a late 1st thougg, from a contender.

I'm literally basing his value to the most recent comparable that was David Savard last season. Columbus gor a 1st out of him. He was also playing 20 mins a night for Columbus, but then surprise surprise, 14 mins a night in the playoffs for Tampa.

They're the type of guys teams badly want for a playoff run. But they're not the guys that play 20+ minutes on a contender and are a core part of the top 4D. They're support guys, depth guys.

Incredibly valuable depth guys.

Every trade deadline is different. Nothing more for you and me to offer at this point. I get what your saying but we are not on the same page entirely. Chiarot is a very good #4 guy and he clearly raises his game in the playoffs. A big man like that that plays physical like that and with the skating/mobility? Lets not pretend he has not earned his spot because he was playing with Weber who was in decline.

Who do I value more between Savard and Chiarot after watching them both play for the Habs this year? I'd say it's close but I pick Chiarot with his mobility/skating. Both are physical

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Every trade deadline is different. Nothing more for you and me to offer at this point. I get what your saying but we are not on the same page entirely. Chiarot is a very good #4 guy and he clearly raises his game in the playoffs. A big man like that that plays physical like that and with the skating/mobility? Lets not pretend he has not earned his spot because he was playing with Weber who was in decline.

Who do I value more between Savard and Chiarot after watching them both play for the Habs this year? I'd say it's close but I pick Chiarot with his mobility/skating. Both are physical

All good. I for one am very excited that we're finally selling assets at an opportune time. Chiarot's value is likely never gonna be this high! I'm hoping the new management makes the most out of it.

And for that they'll have to argue his case like you do, not like I do :nod:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Leafs were the best team the Habs faced in last year's playoffs. No doubt in my mind that the Habs top 4D were able to contain other teams more than the Leafs. Leafs offense and skating is very good and even Tampa would have difficulty to some degree.

Price was good but he's not god. The Habs top 4D were part of the team strength. Keep digging. The interest in Chiarot is warrented but the 1st narrative has turned posters into attack mode where some are using the word "Garbage". Typical HF board

HD shot for 44/ goal for 10
HD shot against or 63/ 8 against 0.873 % of save on high danger shot

If will give you a comparaison... during complete 2020-2021 season, the best goalie with at least 30 game played
With best HDS sv% was vasilevsky at 0.784

So yes price played like a god

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All good. I for one am very excited that we're finally selling assets at an opportune time. Chiarot's value is likely never gonna be this high! I'm hoping the new management makes the most out of it.

And for that they'll have to argue his case like you do, not like I do :nod:

All the Habs need to do with Chiarot is say, yeah, your offer is good but we got a better offer from another team so if you want him, you'll need to up the offer. Some teams might and some teams might not. Let the market dictate what the return is and whoever wants him the most.

Habs don't need to defend his value and look at numbers with other GM's. They basically just have to say give me your best offer and we will evaluate them all. We might get back to you (or not).

Reactions: abo9

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
HD shot for 44/ goal for 10
HD shot against or 63/ 8 against 0.873 % of save on high danger shot

If will give you a comparaison... during complete 2020-2021 season, the best goalie with at least 30 game played
With best HDS sv% was vasilevsky at 0.784

So yes price played like a god

If you want Chiarot, give us your best offer and we put it on the table with other offers. If you don't want Chiarot, don't give us an offer. What's the point of trying to devalue his game when the Habs have 5-10 teams calling about him? Habs don't really have to defend his value on the ice. All we have to do is to evaluate all the offers and take the best one. Maybe we call back a few teams and say, we are going with another offer so you have one last chance to up your offer (or not).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With muzzin hurt look for Toronto to pull the trigger on a D soon.

Trade for the 35 year old Braun. I'm sure the Leafs can convince them he is not that good but they need him and it's a 2nd and 4th? Flyers play nice and don't try to get the best return and they prefer to help the Leafs right? :sarcasm:.

I actually hope the Leafs make a move for a D man (not named Chiarot). Take one guy out of the picture from the Market. Works for me

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
May dissagree with the cost but did you not watch your own team play last year?

This right here is bang on. The asking price or narrative of the 1st the media is throwing out there has caused some fans to devalue Chiarot and what he has done in the playoffs for the Habs. Basically evaluating him from his Jets days. Nonsense. Chiarot has matured with the Habs and the size/physicality/mobility/skating he brings is not readily available.

No idea what he returns in the end but whoever gets him, is getting a playoff warrior. The interest in Chiarot is warranted but the price tag has people on attack mode

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If you want Chiarot, give us your best offer and we put it on the table with other offers. If you don't want Chiarot, don't give us an offer. What's the point of trying to devalue his game when the Habs have 5-10 teams calling about him? Habs don't really have to defend his value on the ice. All we have to do is to evaluate all the offers and take the best one. Maybe we call back a few teams and say, we are going with another offer so you have one last chance to up your offer (or not).

Not because habs get 5-10 call than hes the #1 target of those team. So maybe at the trade deadline, majority of team who get an interest will get the player they want and will not be interest anymore on chiarot. So of those 5-10 team interested, maybe 1-2-3 team will stay with an interest? Who know? So that can affect value of some player

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This right here is bang on. The asking price or narrative of the 1st the media is throwing out there has caused some fans to devalue Chiarot and what he has done in the playoffs for the Habs. Basically evaluating him from his Jets days. Nonsense. Chiarot has matured with the Habs and the size/physicality/mobility/skating he brings is not readily available.

No idea what he returns in the end but whoever gets him, is getting a playoff warrior. The interest in Chiarot is warranted but the price tag has people on attack mode
D men like him are hard to find and invaluable in the playoffs. This type of player is never going to be liked on HF boards. This is a place ruled by charts and for the most part people that didnt play. So they havent experienced how big tough D men are hard to play agaisnt over 7 games. If he doesnt garner a first its going to be a 2nd and a good prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not because habs get 5-10 call than hes the #1 target of those team. So maybe at the trade deadline, majority of team who get an interest will get the player they want and will not be interest anymore on chiarot. So of those 5-10 team interested, maybe 1-2-3 team will stay with an interest? Who know? So that can affect value of some player

Sure. That part is fair. But the Habs will get offers and my two 2nd's has been my consistent base price. Habs will get several offers for Chiarot no doubt. What he actually returns is guess work.

I'm pretty sure Gorton/Hughes are saying make your best offer and we will put all the offers on the table and pick the best one for the Habs. We may or may not call you back to see if you want to increase it.

For all we know, it's a prospect and a 2nd. Maybe a prospect drafted in the 2nd round with good development (like the guy we got for Toffoli).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
D men like him are hard to find and invaluable in the playoffs. This type of player is never going to be liked on HF boards. This is a place ruled by charts and for the most part people that didnt play. So they dont understand how big tough D men are hard to play agaisnt over 7 games. If he doesnt garner a first its going to be a 2nd and a good prospect.

Spot on! Thank you for jumping in on this. I think you are 100% correct that when it comes to players who don't put up points, HF boards don't understand their values cause there are fans who think size and physicality within your top 4D don't matter. Well, the playoffs are a different game and it's the reason why the Leafs, Oilers, and even the Avs can't go on long runs.

Look at the top 4 teams year to year. Their D is mobile and very strong. Especially the top 4D. Some people think Price is god and the Habs top 4D did nothing. They really do think that which is comical to me.

I even had a Leafs fans say Muzzin sucks yesterday and said the Leafs should trade him. Not worth his cap hit. Pretty sure their focus is points and nit picking his defensive usage where they overlook how much he starts in the D zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad