TSN: Chris Johnston: at this point It's expected Jacob Chychrun will be moved

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Devils should be aiming to compete the next three years while some of their young guys are still on ELCs.

It’s a worthy gamble dependent on the value. For example, Zacha + Smith can be the centerpiece of a package that doesn’t hurt the Devils now or long term.

Why would Arizona accept a package that doesn't hurt to give? If Hamilton was on a deal like chychrun would you accept a trade around zacha and Smith for him?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers reasonably overpay IF it can be in currency that works for them AND 'yotes max half retain, which is doable on a short contract already at a reasonable #; this is nec due to NYR upcoming cap crunch.

Lindgren
Jones
2 nyr 1sts
Strome at half
Georgiev

for

Chych at half + AZ 2022 + 2023 3rds

NY goes youth for youth
D will be
Chych - Fox
KAM - Trouba
Nils L - Schneider
when Trouba can be moved, Schneid up to 2RD, Nils to 3RD, Robertson to 3LD

Chych at half would be slightly less than Lindgren's 3 x 3 per

NY should replace Strome internally
Only you would include an expiring Strome that does nothing for Arizona this year, retain on Strome's cap which does nothing for either team right now, and toss away a player NYR doesn't have to include in this deal because they still need him for the rest of the season/playoffs, all while asking Arizona to retain on years worth of cap...

Reactions: Mac Attack

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If they move Chychrun, I would expect them to take a anchor contract in return? Otherwise, if they take futures and youth only, they are that much further from the cap floor. Some can say it's not hard to reach the cap floor but do they really want to hand out AAV/term with UFA's? The other option is to take on other teams bad contracts again?

Very curious to see how that plays out

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Steep price but I'd probably do it as a Kings fan... I'm probably in the minority.

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Roy
Edler-Durzi

Is a very nice D core. Then you have Clarke, Faber, Spence, and Grans also in the pipeline.
Good god. I didn’t realize how deep the Kings were on D.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I think I would do that as well. not sure if the cap works though
We’d have to keep Muzzin on LTIR then let Dubas figure the cap out in the off season I could see him making a big move soon when he hasn’t got us past the 1st round yet you have to think his job may be up in the air if we don’t get past it this year

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I’d imagine Arizona fans will be underwhelmed with the return. Just my hunch.
Without question. Especially the way Chychrun has turned it on--he looks like the "superstar Chychrun" again. I still can't figure out how/why a rebuilding, young team would trade a 23-year old franchise defenseman lol.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Why would Arizona accept a package that doesn't hurt to give? If Hamilton was on a deal like chychrun would you accept a trade around zacha and Smith for him?

Devils have built up a ton of assets that they can match some offers for contenders without even giving up L. Hughes, Mercer, or Holtz.

With how many picks Coyotes have accumulated, Devils may be able to offer up NHL ready talent and skip on the picks. Zacha + Smith + Zetterlund is damn near close to Chychrun’s value, if not already there. Contending teams are going to do the two prospects + late 1st deal. Devils can offer a different alternative.

Biggest issue for the Devils is goaltending is such a massive question mark. If they were a bubble team with league average goaltending, I think they’d be all over this. It’s a massive risk not knowing how Bernier/Blackwood respond to their injury plagued seasons next year.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Or Chiarot. Or Lindholm. Or Klingberg.

The market for D-men is definitely a buyers market right now. Ofcourse each D-man brings something different to the table but they are all solid pieces. Though, I hope you are right .. :)

Is it though? I mean, someone trading for Chychrun is trading for now and the future. Chiarot, Lindholm, Klingberg walk July 1 (or whenever it is this year).

I don't think ZOna's getting the equivalent of four first rounders but they should get an excellent return on a first pairing d-man signed for cheap the next couple of years.

In the offseason I'm expecting Lindholm, Chiarot, Klingberg to get stupid money and term, 2-3M more per.

Reactions: mouser

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Devils have built up a ton of assets that they can match some offers for contenders without even giving up L. Hughes, Mercer, or Holtz.

With how many picks Coyotes have accumulated, Devils may be able to offer up NHL ready talent and skip on the picks. Zacha + Smith + Zetterlund is damn near close to Chychrun’s value, if not already there. Contending teams are going to do the two prospects + late 1st deal. Devils can offer a different alternative.

Biggest issue for the Devils is goaltending is such a massive question mark. If they were a bubble team with league average goaltending, I think they’d be all over this. It’s a massive risk not knowing how Bernier/Blackwood respond to their injury plagued seasons next year.

They aren't trading a top pairing D on a great contract for a middle 6 centre who can't play centre, a formerly very promising D who hasn't grown at all in 2 seasons and is NJ's 6th most used D, and a former 3rd round pick with 3 NHL games and 0 points.

Again, is Hamilton was 5 years younger and signed for 3.5 years at HALF his current would you trade him for that package?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Is it though? I mean, someone trading for Chychrun is trading for now and the future. Chiarot, Lindholm, Klingberg walk July 1 (or whenever it is this year).

I don't think ZOna's getting the equivalent of four first rounders but they should get an excellent return on a first pairing d-man signed for cheap the next couple of years.

In the offseason I'm expecting Lindholm, Chiarot, Klingberg to get stupid money and term, 2-3M more per.

Yeah. Chychrun is in a different category but it still makes for quite a few D-men that are available on expiring contracts.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They aren't trading a top pairing D on a great contract for a middle 6 centre who can't play centre, a formerly very promising D who hasn't grown at all in 2 seasons and is NJ's 6th most used D, and a former 3rd round pick with 3 NHL games and 0 points.

Again, is Hamilton was 5 years younger and signed for 3.5 years at HALF his current would you trade him for that package?

No player ever really gets their value on the market. The fact that Chychrun has been on the market (when he really shouldn’t be at his age) means something is definitely up in Arizona.

Maybe they are looking to get blown away by an offer they can’t refuse. That could also be the case, but if there’s pressure from somewhere to move him, I don’t think Arizona will like the return, especially mid-season. They’re better off waiting until the off-season and they’d be able to get proper value.

If there’s pressure to move him, I think the Devils could meet other teams offers. Especially if contending teams are involved as their offers are usually more futures based.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
No player ever really gets their value on the market. The fact that Chychrun has been on the market (when he really shouldn’t be at his age) means something is definitely up in Arizona.

Maybe they are looking to get blown away by an offer they can’t refuse. That could also be the case, but if there’s pressure from somewhere to move him, I don’t think Arizona will like the return, especially mid-season. They’re better off waiting until the off-season and they’d be able to get proper value.

If there’s pressure to move him, I think the Devils could meet other teams offers. Especially if contending teams are involved as their offers are usually more futures based.

that is exactly the case and the GM basically said that. We will not be trading him unless we get an offer that we just can’t refuse.

Reactions: PainForShane

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021

People just don’t get it. It’s not difficult to understand. If he’s traded, it’s going to hurt badly. It’s not going to be a bunch of whatever pieces.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Or Chiarot. Or Lindholm. Or Klingberg.

The market for D-men is definitely a buyers market right now. Ofcourse each D-man brings something different to the table but they are all solid pieces. Though, I hope you are right .. :)

Doubt that Klingberg is going anywhere anymore. Dallas has been much better of late and they're right in the thick of the race in the West. If they fall out between now and the deadline maybe, but as things stand I think they hold onto him.

As far as Chychrun, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Knight or Lundell is insisted on he won't be traded to Florida.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Blues get Chychrun

Arizona gets-

Scott Perunovich
Zachary Bolduc
Joel Hofer
Arizona's choice of Blues 2022 OR 2023 1st round pick unprotected
Marco Scandella

St. Louis also throws in a large Imo's pizza, some fried ravioli and a tub of frozen custard for good measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad