TSN: Chris Johnston: at this point It's expected Jacob Chychrun will be moved

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
In three and a half years? Who could know that?
He's a top pairing defenseman on a great contract with term ... that has sell-the-farm value to a contender. That value will decline over the next two years as the term does, and if ARZ aren't going to be in a position to start contending until 2024-2025, it makes no sense to waste a couple prime years. Two high picks and two good prospects will be more helpful from 2025-2030 than Chychrun, who will be well into UFA years and who we can bid for like the rest of the league.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
FLA makes sense:

To PHX:
Spencer Knight OR Lundell
1st Round Pick
2nd round Pick

To FLA:
Chychrun

Too much/little?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
To Detroit:
Chychrun

To Arizona:
2022 1st unprotected
2022 2nd (WSH)
Filip Zadina
Albert Johansson (LHD)
----------------------------------------------------------
Top 4 D core of: :popcorn:
Chychrun - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
I don't believe Panthers fans consider Knight to be realistic, and certainly not Lundell as he's had a bigger impact for them than expected as a rookie.

Taking those two off the table I don't see a good fit for a deal between the Coyotes and Panthers.

Reactions: PainForShane

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Is it though? I mean, someone trading for Chychrun is trading for now and the future. Chiarot, Lindholm, Klingberg walk July 1 (or whenever it is this year).

I don't think ZOna's getting the equivalent of four first rounders but they should get an excellent return on a first pairing d-man signed for cheap the next couple of years.

In the offseason I'm expecting Lindholm, Chiarot, Klingberg to get stupid money and term, 2-3M more per.

When guys of the Chiarot is a very different caliber, but when guys like Lindholm and Klingberg get moved they re-sign more often than not. Your point is valid on the cost and the age, but there are a larger than normal group of top pairing defenders available this season, hard to deny.

Of course, AZ can wait if they don't get their price met.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I keep wondering the same thing too
In three and a half years? Who could know that?
Young top pair d-man on a great contract should fetch a haul, and they'll just end up having to trade him when he's a pending UFA anyway, but his value will have tanked after years of playing on a bad team and not having term left. They're not gonna be competitive, may as well cash in on Chychrun's value.

And it's very easy to see why they'll still be bad in medium-term. In the last year of Chychrun's contract, it'll be 2024-25. The only notable players they have signed/under team control then will be Chychrun, Keller, Schmaltz, Hayton, Guenther, and Soderstrom. There's no guarantee that whoever they draft with their five 1st Round Picks this year and next will even be in the NHL in 2024-25, let alone be impact players.

Even if they won Wright and Bedard/Michkov, they won't be ready to compete.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Young top pair d-man on a great contract should fetch a haul, and they'll just end up having to trade him when he's a pending UFA anyway, but his value will have tanked after years of playing on a bad team and not having term left. They're not gonna be competitive, may as well cash in on Chychrun's value.

And it's very easy to see why they'll still be bad in medium-term. In the last year of Chychrun's contract, it'll be 2024-25. The only notable players they have signed/under team control then will be Chychrun, Keller, Schmaltz, Hayton, Guenther, and Soderstrom. There's no guarantee that whoever they draft with their five 1st Round Picks this year and next will even be in the NHL in 2024-25, let alone be impact players.

Even if they won Wright and Bedard/Michkov, they won't be ready to compete.
I don't know, he will be 26/27 and there could very well be huge incentives to playing with a couple potential budding superstars.

That isn't really the point though, it's more deciding to move him now because of what might happen in three years is strange. The return they get likely won't ever be as valuable as he is either, unless they hit multiple jackpots with whatever picks they get.

Teams should keep great players until it absolutely no longer makes sense to. This...doesn't seem like that sort of case?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah. Chychrun is in a different category but it still makes for quite a few D-men that are available on expiring contracts.

I disagree with your premise of the buyers market.

7 top 4 defenseman available, 5 are rentals.

Chychrun (not a rental)
Chiarot
Petry (not a rental)
Manson
Lindholm
Klingburg
Gio

So 6 of those guys are in play in the market as substitutes (Petry isn't for sale as much as he is pay our price or we keep him)

Teams who have been rumored to want a dman or needs it:

Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton (if they buy)
LA
St Louis
Carolina
Florida
Rangers
Boston
Anaheim (Chychrun only)

10 Teams listed 6 guys available, seems like a sellers market to me