Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
not just a good drafting team. Having a lot of picks does a lot for a team in the future. We trade all of our picks away and it needs to stop.

Since 2000 Chicago has had:

16 1st RD picks
23 2nd RD picks
17 3rd RD picks

Lots of these have busted or been mediocre but when you get that many shots it makes a huge difference.

Since 2000 Vancovuer has had:

15 1st RD Picks
9 2nd RD picks
12 3rd RD picks

Yeah, given how many picks we have had, we would have to have by far the best scouts in the league to get many players.

I really just meant ones who put more emphasis on the draft and go about it the "right way" which includes developing these guys.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I think people are discounting how impressive Clendening's track record is:
- 5 pts in 6 GP in his first and only WJC
- 33 pts in 38 GP at Boston U
- 46 pts in 73 GP in his rookie AHL season
- 59 pts in 74 GP in his sophmore AHL season, lead the team in scoring.

Forsling had a nice tournament, but Clendening's track record speaks for itself especially considering the fact he appears to be trending upwards.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I think people are discounting how impressive Clendening's track record is:
- 5 pts in 6 GP in his first and only WJC
- 33 pts in 38 GP at Boston U
- 46 pts in 73 GP in his rookie AHL season
- 59 pts in 74 GP in his sophmore AHL season, lead the team in scoring.

Forsling had a nice tournament, but Clendening's track record speaks for itself especially considering the fact he appears to be trending upwards.

Not exactly, he's on pace to get less than half as many points he got last season in the AHL which is a little concerning. (on pace for 25 points over 74 games, 59 points last year)

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not exactly, he's on pace to get less than half as many points he got last season in the AHL which is a little concerning. (on pace for 25 points over 74 games, 59 points last year)

To be fair, it doesn't seem like his overall play has diminished as much as his point production, at least from what I've read.

Seems more just like an off half-season than a red flag.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Dont forget he got 1 goal 1assist in 4 game NHL...

His stats are very impressive, and for this year, maybe he was disapointed to be in the AHL again...

its an opportunity for him, I think you won the trade, Forsling was impressive in WJC, but he's not safe in his zone and Clandening had really good stats like EvoLu7ioN wrote...time will tell but I dont think you loose there...

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Yeah, given how many picks we have had, we would have to have by far the best scouts in the league to get many players.

I really just meant ones who put more emphasis on the draft and go about it the "right way" which includes developing these guys.

It hasn't been that long that we have owned our farm team, so that should help in the development. Able to have the entire organization under the same management shouldn't be overlooked as a critical component to player development.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Maybe he's focusing on his defense more?

I believe Hawks fans were saying that, but for an offensive d-man to have his point total cut in half is a bit of an eyebrow raiser. And it's not like an Edler situation where he went from a 40+ point player who was "meh" defensively to a 25 point player who is a rock defensively, Clendening still isn't that good defensively (but he's not a bit of a disaster like he was in the past apparently).

Maybe he lost confidence because he got trapped behind depth, hopefully this change of scenery and opportunity to claim a spot in the NHL will give him a boost.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
His PP deployment in Rockford was affected for whatever reason. They started playing another player in his spot instead.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
It really doesn't. It means that the process of negotiating with the person is easy. It doesn't say anything about the substantive results of that negotiation. It mean's he's not an ass and doesn't drag things out by offering Kyle Pettit and a 3rd or whatever garbage you're proposing when it doesn't benefit either side of the negotiations.

Your point doesn't really change mine...? I take issue with the last sentence - someone's ability to be a negotiator is not binary. You don't just have easy and difficult negotiators. Of course, I don't want someone who's easy, and I don't want someone who's difficult either. Benning is so easy that a GM had to point that out. I don't like it, and neither should anybody else.

And again, haven't proposed anything. Players like these are, however, available for whatever combination of picks. Look at the Vey trade.

Being a good negotiator isn't about sticking to your guns until you get your way - it's about finding a common value to facilitate trade. Benning can adamantly demand that the Hawks trade us Clendening for Cederholm all he wants, but it's not going to ****ing happen. You can try the Craig MacTavish route of habitually overvaluing your players and not accepting anything but... and then you end up with a team that's still in rough shape because all you've managed to add to it is waiver wire pickups and FA signings. I guarantee the Oilers would be in better shape if they'd traded Yak for players to fill their roster holes.

I'd bet Benning specifically targeted Clendening because of his value profile to the Canucks. He's young, NHL ready, a PPQB and a RHD -- all things the Canucks definitely need (and he fits that profile perfectly). Post WJC-Forsling's value about a 2nd round pick, which is about what I'd value Clendening at too (if not a bit more - was the top scorer on the IceHogs as a defenseman). To me, Clendening == Forsling.

The big difference? Clendening is likely NHL ready and can help now.

re: negotiations, see above.

Look, I don't have a problem with the value of the trade. On paper it's probably fair. But you don't hate the optics of it at all? We're a team that should be hording prospects, especially 18 year old ones who have played fantastically in the SHL.

That really isn't what it means, at all. In fact, YOU didn't negotiate at all. You should stop posting in this thread, you're throwing dumber ideas after dumb ones.

Please explain what ideas I've said are stupid and refrain from telling me what to do, thanks.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Yea every GM should be a hard a$$ like Gillis. Always a day late and a dollar short in his attempts to 'maximize' his returns. After a while your reputation precedes you and no one ends up trusting you.

That's not why NHL front offices didn't like Gillis.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It hasn't been that long that we have owned our farm team, so that should help in the development. Able to have the entire organization under the same management shouldn't be overlooked as a critical component to player development.

Agreed. Owning an AHL team and running it the way we have should improve us in that regard.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
We got great value.

Forsling is an obvious sell high, and Clendening a sell low (stats are down, waiver status next season, and couldn't crack Hawks lineup/Hawks depth on 'd').

That doesn't mean this trade works out for us; but in the long run, when you get good value when moving your assets, you will win more than you lose.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
We're a team that should be hording prospects, especially 18 year old ones who have played fantastically in the SHL.

Please explain what ideas I've said are stupid and refrain from telling me what to do, thanks.

Has Forsling played fantastically in the SHL???
Isn't he a 5th d-man who has had his ice time cut significantly?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I believe Hawks fans were saying that, but for an offensive d-man to have his point total cut in half is a bit of an eyebrow raiser. And it's not like an Edler situation where he went from a 40+ point player who was "meh" defensively to a 25 point player who is a rock defensively, Clendening still isn't that good defensively (but he's not a bit of a disaster like he was in the past apparently).

Maybe he lost confidence because he got trapped behind depth, hopefully this change of scenery and opportunity to claim a spot in the NHL will give him a boost.

I am really looking forward to see him play. Kind of interesting to see why a guy with amazing numbers in the AHL was unable to crack the NHL.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I feel this is the type of trade Benning needs to do more of. There is an obvious lack of talent in the pool of 21-23 year olds. First Vey and now AC. Gillis and co. didn't exactly do a good job pre-2012 draft.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
We have a quote from an NHL general manager who specifically said that Jim Benning was an easy person to negotiate with. That's not a good thing.

You're getting your ass handed to you in this thread, and rightfully so, so I'm not going to bother responding to your points. I couldn't let this gem pass without comment however - you seem to be interpreting this quote ass backwards. Not sure if you've ever negotiated anything in your life, whether a business deal or even a Moroccan carpet, but being an easy person to negotiate with means the Canucks will complete more deals, and better deals, than someone who is a difficult person to negotiate with. Those people fail to make any deals whatsoever.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007

Losing his spot on the top PP unit to a new prospect, as well as being asked to focus on his defensive work likely hurt both his confidence and production.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The way this thread is going, I can understand why so many people aren't religious.

because not many people are agreeing with what a poster named 'God' is saying. Get it?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Losing his spot of the top PP unit to a new prospect, as well as being asked to focus on his defensive work likely hurt both his confidence and production.

Dollars to donuts, I'd chalk it up to being a young player used to being the "go-to" player and on a rising trajectory, getting all the ice-time and chances. This year he got bounced around the lineup and in different roles, and couldn't stick with the Hawks. So his motivation falters and so does his production, partly due to motivation but also less PP time. It's the first time things didn't go his way. These guys are human, after all.

We'll see anyway. Nice to see a "pure" skill defenseman added to the group (finally) - hopefully he makes the most of it.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Also, understanding that it's a minuscule sample size, but his movement on the PP when he scored his first goal is better than that of any of our defencemen.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
You're getting your ass handed to you in this thread, and rightfully so, so I'm not going to bother responding to your points. I couldn't let this gem pass without comment however - you seem to be interpreting this quote ass backwards. Not sure if you've ever negotiated anything in your life, whether a business deal or even a Moroccan carpet, but being an easy person to negotiate with means the Canucks will complete more deals, and better deals, than someone who is a difficult person to negotiate with. Those people fail to make any deals whatsoever.

Agreed. That's an excellent reputation to have, it means he is far more approachable. He has a reputation of being a guy who isn't scared to pull the trigger either, that adds to it. It doesn't mean he gets ripped off value wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad