Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
That is not true at all. Player values change dramatically after being drafted.

It does, I agree. Forsling was a 5th round pick though, and 30 teams passed up the chance to draft him 4 and in some cases 5 times, sure he's tracked well but how far can his value go up in a mere 7 months? I liked Forsling as a prospect, but he was always going to be a long shot to be an NHL player.

The idea of someone proclaiming that know what another general manager would want in a trade is asinine, it's been suggested numerous times Bowman took this deal because he has a fetish with Swedish d-man and because Forsling is a LHD.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
When Jamie Benn gets traded for Jordan Schroeder, it's great, because it's a 5th round pick for a 1st round pick.

Again, Chicago's in a position where they should deal Clendening. He's waiver eligible next year. He's on the outside looking in to make the team next year. Press them on the issue.
If Jamie Benn was traded for a 1st round pick 7 months after his draft year it would have been perceived as a pretty darn good move at the time.

Okay, so I'm assuming that you'd be willing to take a 3rd round pick for Jensen or Corrado right?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Never did I say it would have been Clendening for a 3rd round pick. The point is that the 3rd round pick is something of value that could have been added to the trade to avoid trading one of our better prospects.

The problem with this logic is it ignores what the Hawks may have wanted.
It also assumes that the Hawks only option was to trade Clendening to the Canucks. Obviously there would have been other teams interested as well and the Hawks are looking for what most improves their team, not what you'd prefer to have dealt.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
I think we're running short on 3rd round picks, unless you are talking our 2017 3rd round pick :laugh:

Besides, as that Chicago fan stated above, if Forsling is indeed a teammate of one of Chicago's top 60 picks then it follows that they've probably heavily scouted Forsling. This was a targeted acquisition by Chicago, which is kind of scary when you think of how good their scouting has been.

I'm not convinced their scouts have pulled off anything special, I think their management has just done a really good job of acquiring extra picks over the years.

If you have more darts to throw at the board the likely hood of a bulls eye goes up.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
It also assumes that the Hawks only option was to trade Clendening to the Canucks. Obviously there would have been other teams interested as well and the Hawks are looking for what most improves their team, not what you'd prefer to have dealt.

Shhhh, you're ruining people's armchairs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It does, I agree. Forsling was a 5th round pick though, and 30 teams passed up the chance to draft him 4 and in some cases 5 times, sure he's tracked well but how far can his value go up in a mere 7 months? I liked Forsling as a prospect, but he was always going to be a long shot to be an NHL player.

The idea of someone proclaiming that know what another general manager would want in a trade is asinine, it's been suggested numerous times Bowman took this deal because he has a fetish with Swedish d-man and because Forsling is a LHD.

I wouldn't say he's the end all be all, but Cory Pronman said Forsling would be a top 50 pick from last draft if it was redone today.

I think given Clendening's pedigree, it's safe to say that Forsling was seen as more valuable than a fifth rounder, especially since Chicago specifically targeted him. How much more valuable? I don't know, but I don't think it is outlandish to suggest that his value would be somewhere between a late second and a third round pick.

Hell, we gave up a third for Pedan who was in a similar situation but is by no means the same caliber of a prospect as Glendening.

realist99

May 3, 2010
I like these hockey trades that Benning is making. We're basically making up for our horrible drafting from 2007-2011 by gaining players in this age range.

Agree 100%

We lost a whole generation of players (20-23 yr olds) because of the last regime. Benning is trying to fill that gap.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
No one is saying Forsling isn't a good prospect, But ya got to give to get

The Canucks were in need of a right handed ppqb and they got one.

They filled a hole that this team needed now ..

Forsling will not be ready for at least 3 to 4 seasons and is another lefty

Good trade for both teams.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Chicago was just trying to get rid of Clendening and Benning must have insisted he pay something. :sarcasm:

Benning: "So what do you want for that Clendening kid?"
Bowman: "Nothing, really. He was a 2nd round pick, but we have enough defense prospects."
Benning: "Oh come on now. How about I give you Forsling?"
Bowman: "No no, I could never do that!"
Benning: "Come on now, I have to give up something of value."
Bowman: "Okay, you drive a hard bargain.."

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'll restate; How do you know the Hawks even wanted a 3rd round pick?

I don't. The 3rd round pick comment is used as an example of Benning pissing away assets he didn't need to. We didn't need Pedan in our system. We didn't need to give up that much. But it happened, and reduced what Benning was able to put on the table.

How do you know there are other realistic prospects on the Canucks that they would have accepted with a 3rd added in?

Maybe if they don't get Forsling, it goes to a prospect on another team rather than talking to the Canucks any further?

Canucks got good value, and Clendening should crack the lineup next year.

How do you know Clendening will crack the lineup? How do you know he won't be another Gragnani?

Clendening is about a sure thing as Forsling is. The team needs to be hording players that are trending upwards.

How do you know Benning didn't? Maybe Bowman was pushing for Shinkaruk or McCann?

You are making a whole lot of assumptions that Benning didn't do his due diligence and just jumped at the first offer made.

We have a quote from an NHL general manager who specifically said that Jim Benning was an easy person to negotiate with. That's not a good thing.

Benning has traded a 3rd round pick for a low upside high risk prospect that was on the outside looking in on an AHL team.

And wow, I guess it's a good thing that we traded Forsling instead of Shinkaruk or McCann. :eyeroll:

Then let them make their trade. Don't be a sucker.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
No one is saying Forsling isn't a good prospect, But ya got to give to get

The Canucks were in need of a right handed ppqb and they got one.

They filled a hole that this team needed now ..

Forsling will not be ready for at least 3 to 4 seasons and is another lefty

Good trade for both teams.

Honestly I've been kind of shocked how highly people have rated Forsling in the last 24 hours. The only thing of significance on his resume was some good point totals in a seven game tournament. People seem to get excited over the smallest things.

Sure he's would have been an interesting prospect to track over the next several years but the smart money would be on him not ever becoming an NHL player.

I'm pretty surprised there's really any negative reaction to this deal.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Honestly I've been kind of shocked how highly people have rated Forsling in the last 24 hours. The only thing of significance on his resume was some good point totals in a seven game tournament. People seem to get excited over the smallest things.

Sure he's would have been an interesting prospect to track over the next several years but the smart money would be on him not ever becoming an NHL player.

I'm pretty surprised there's really any negative reaction to this deal.

Actually he was playing top 4 minutes for his 3rd place SHL team as an 18 year old, and everybody was excited about him before the WJC.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I remember quite a few people liking the Forsling pick quite a bit at the time and more so as he established himself in the SEL. This was before the big showcase at the WJs. After the second round, he was the only guy I was really interested in following.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
We have a quote from an NHL general manager who specifically said that Jim Benning was an easy person to negotiate with. That's not a good thing.

Talk about putting a spin on a comment to fit an agenda.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Anyone catch Pierre McGuire on 1040 lunch today?

I caught the tail end where he was sounding high on Clendening (and for the Canucks in this deal in general) and seemed to compare him to Don Sweeney. He also didn't sound high on Forsling, particularly with his acceleration and strength.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I remember quite a few people liking the Forsling pick quite a bit at the time and more so as he established himself in the SEL. This was before the big showcase at the WJs. After the second round, he was the only guy I was really interested in following.
Same.

Everyone saying that he only has value because of the WJs clearly hasn't been paying attention.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Um I am pretty sure this isn't true. He got downgraded to the 3rd pairing this year.

Yes. He was recently downgraded to the 3rd pairing because Mattias Backman left Grand Rapids and returned to Linkopings. It doesn't change what he did for the four months prior.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I believe that's only since he was returned after the WJs. Many players do have trouble getting back into the swing of things. ZK would know better though.

edit
Yes. He was recently downgraded to the 3rd pairing because Mattias Backman left Grand Rapids and returned to Linkopings. It doesn't change what he did for the four months prior.

ahh, that would explain it.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

If you're an easy negotiator, that means you're more willing to cede someone's requests.

Let's say I list a Canucks jersey on craigslist for 100 dollars. You offer 70. The reasonable thing to do would be to offer to meet in the middle. Instead, I take the 70 offer. That means I'm an easy negotiator, but I could have tried to get a bit more money.

Jesus people, stand up for yourselves.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Anyone catch Pierre McGuire on 1040 lunch today?

I caught the tail end where he was sounding high on Clendening (and for the Canucks in this deal in general) and seemed to compare him to Don Sweeney. He also didn't sound high on Forsling, particularly with his acceleration and strength.

Ok now I feel even better about the trade.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Being a regular on his SHL team at age 18 is a significant accomplishment. Very few players drafted outside of the 1st round manage that.

Agreed, Forsling's progress is very impressive. No doubt it's that trajectory that interested the Hawks.

This deal is similar to the Vey trade, in that we snatched a developed prospect away from a club with a reputation for excellent scouting and development. In both scenarios the other club decided to replace the prospect with a younger asset. My sense is that LA had a good look at Vey and decided to cut ties. Chicago seems to have done the same with Clendenning.

These are two well-run teams that have graduated a ton of young players through their systems in recent years. Clendenning was in the Hawks system long enough for the team to be very familiar with him. They decided to trade him for a younger, less developed player. I really like these deals from LA and Chi's perspective, I think it's a good way to manage your assets. I like it less from our perspective, as you'd have to think our scouts saw something in these players that the teams that were much more familiar with them didn't.

Time will tell if Clendenning will be an NHL player. The similarities to Gragnani are.... troubling. But, our defence is a lot worse than it was back when we got Gragnani, so uhhhh maybe Clendennning will get a longer look than MAG?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Um I am pretty sure this isn't true. He got downgraded to the 3rd pairing this year.

He was back on the second pairing and playing 17+ minutes in his last game.

He has been ahead of Chicago's second rounder, Dahlstrom, on their depth chart for pretty much the whole season.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If you're an easy negotiator, that means you're more willing to cede someone's requests.

It really doesn't. It means that the process of negotiating with the person is easy. It doesn't say anything about the substantive results of that negotiation. It mean's he's not an ass and doesn't drag things out by offering Kyle Pettit and a 3rd or whatever garbage you're proposing when it doesn't benefit either side of the negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad