Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
what's not to like about this deal?

our drafting sucks, our development has recently missed more than it's hit. whereas chicago's drafting is very good, its development is stellar; ditto, LA. why not flip our undersized 19 year old PMD prospect for a far more NHL-ready 22 year old PMD prospect?

and that's not to say that forsling won't turn out awesome. but do you really trust our organization not to ruin him? was JS a bad pick or badly developed in the AHL? how about jensen's recent trajectory? how bright does shinkaruk's future look relative to a year ago? i'll take all the ringers from good teams' systems, thank you very much.

and re: vey, if anyone notices my posts you'll know that i've been hard on him this season, and that i've criticized the trade to get him. but i'd trade a 2nd round pick with vancouver scouts' fingers on the button for a developed linden vey any day. what i didn't like was that we gave away garrison for that pick, and furthermore, i didn't like the opportunities vey was handed and the way he was playing early in the season. but in a vacuum, yes to linden vey for a second, and hell yes to clendening for forsling.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Him and stanton played together, in rockford.

i see this as big time shove to sbisa weber

edler tanev
hamhuis corrado
stanton glendening

oh yes please.

reminds me of when pat quinn got lumme and diduck for almost nothing because they were both buried in montreal's deep system. let's hope it works out even half as well.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Assuming Clandening gets somewhat established it gets us more ready for a Bieksa move before next year's deadline.

Is also the only RHD, save Subban who's years away, with any realistic offensive potential in the NHL. Tanev's offensive ceiling is about set. Corrado, whatever his ultimate upside depth chart wise, was never a big point producer. Weber is a journeyman. Need at least ONE who's a threat to hit for 40 points in a good year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I like this trade.

They manage to take a quality asset from a stacked hockey team unable to make room for him for an asset that is still a few yrs away.

Chicago buys time with their asset... Vancouver expedites the development process on their asset. And the handedness switch helps both organizations.

This is a good trade both teams...

The Hawks know they have a stacked team for yrs to come... they even focus on drafting college-bound players so they don't have to see them pressure their roster for 3-4 yrs... What a luxury to have. At least we found a way to benefit from their 'riches' if you will..

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I know I've seen some highlights of Clendenning during his Rockford days around the web. I'll see if I can track them down for you guys. I do like this trade by my favourite part about it is that it wasn't Kassian for Bartowski.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Everybody needs to take a step back and realize that the Canucks could have come out of this trade with both Forsling and Clendening. They didn't. It's stupid. They're pissing away promising prospects.

I don't think it even matters if Clendening becomes the next Wisniewski/MA Bergeron, and Forsling peters out. Slowly chipping away at our assets is extremely worrisome.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I know I've seen some highlights of Clendenning during his Rockford days around the web. I'll see if I can track them down for you guys. I do like this trade by my favourite part about it is that it wasn't Kassian for Bartowski.

The fact that this sentiment has been echoed throughout this thread is not good. It's like saying "Well at least we didn't trade the Sedins for a 6th round pick".

Looks like the rest of us have lost faith in Benning's trading/talent evaluation.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
I really like this trade

Canucks have been looking for a right handed PPQB since Salo left

Our defense doesn't have a have a offence player on the right side.

He will look good with Edler on the left side instead of always having a forward on the right.

The Sedins like to set up from the left and pass over to the right for a shot or goal

We got the player we have needed for a long while in this trade.

All great teams have a good PPQB

Good on ya trader Jim.. nice pick up

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Everybody needs to take a step back and realize that the Canucks could have come out of this trade with both Forsling and Clendening. They didn't. It's stupid. They're pissing away promising prospects.

I don't think it even matters if Clendening becomes the next Wisniewski/MA Bergeron, and Forsling peters out. Slowly chipping away at our assets is extremely worrisome.

oh no, they traded a promising prospect for an established prospect!

:laugh:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Care to explain.

Not that acquiring a 22 yo defenceman is pissing away promising prospects...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I like this trade.

They manage to take a quality asset from a stacked hockey team unable to make room for him for an asset that is still a few yrs away.

Chicago buys time with their asset... Vancouver expedites the development process on their asset. And the handedness switch helps both organizations.

This is a good trade both teams...

The Hawks know they have a stacked team for yrs to come... they even focus on drafting college-bound players so they don't have to see them pressure their roster for 3-4 yrs... What a luxury to have. At least we found a way to benefit from their 'riches' if you will..

Your post pretty much sums up what I was going to say about the deal. I think it's a good move for both sides. I don't think Clendening has anything else to prove at the AHL level and there's just a bit of a logjam roster-wise and he got passed up a bit on the depth chart by a couple of guys. He needed an opportunity elsewhere and is ready to be on an NHL roster to further develop at that level. You guys get a need that can be filled, and the Hawks get a somewhat similar prospect who's just younger and are essentially "starting over" with him and allowing him time to develop.

Win-win for both clubs at it stands today. Interested to see how Clendending does as an every day NHL'er. Hopefully well.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
What is an established prospect?

someone who is playing at a high level in a league outside of the NHL, but is considered the next tier league (AHL, KHL, SEL, maybe NLA?)

so you have established that you prospectively could perform in the NHL

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
pretty sure you knew what i mean, but i'll answer your snark with snark

not gustav forsling

The other prospect did bring up an important point. We should be trying to keep those good prospects as well as acquire more (rather than deal one for another).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I was going to say that is pure speculation, but I suppose that's the benefit of being omniscient.

Even if Forsling was kept though, the Hawks likely would have wanted something similar in return, so I don't see the fuss. It's not as if they would trade him for any old 5th rounder. It was the fact that Forsling was projecting past his draft position that he was able to fetch someone like Clendening.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I like the fact Benning has been adding a lot of RH players to Canucks depth, something they have been lacking. Vey, Virtanen, Clendening.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
The other prospect did bring up an important point. We should be trying to keep those good prospects as well as acquire more (rather than deal one for another).

or you know, they could attempt to bolster the powerplay now with a defenceman with a right handed shot who could potentially compliment the sedins or the second unit PP during the stretch run to the playoffs.

i get what you're saying tho, it would be awesome to accumulate as many prospects as they can...but this trade helps the canucks now.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don't think you can present it as an either or scenario. If Benning really liked Clendening, it makes sense to make a move to get him. Perhaps they only wanted a guy like Forsling who has the potential to become a similar player, but has more time to develop. They clearly weren't looking for roster players, and draft picks are really no different than trading prospects. That doesn't mean he can't or won't trade roster players for picks and prospects as well.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Uh no...it's not 'haven't regressed yet' it's experiencing a meteoric rise in value. Which is exactly what happened due to his WJC performance.

I wouldn't exactly categorize Clendening's value as "meteoric".

You're McDavid analogy is flawed as he did not experience a meteoric rise in value this season. He's been viewed as having extremely high value for some time now.

Why does it matter how much his value rose? Would trading Gaudreau before this year have been "selling high" because he vastly improved his stock from his draft position?

If you don't think he'll make it as an NHLer and you think Clendening will that's one thing. But we certainly didn't sell high when Forsling has a very good chance at improving further.

If anything we sold low on Forsling to mitigate the risk involved with his development.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
not surprised how overrated Forsling has become by some in this fanbase given how people were projecting Schroeder to score 90-100 points at one time. It's pretty obvious to me watching Forsling that he will struggle to adapt to North America and is just plays way too weak/soft. I've felt this way even before he was traded. I will be surprised if he succeeds in the AHL, let alone play a game in the NHL. Clendening has already done both, so in my opinion it's already an improvement even if Clendening flops as a canuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad